• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NTX 650...electronic ignition ?

airhead_irl

Just got it firing!
Hi,

New to the site, I recently added an 1987 NTX 650 to the stable.
It needs a small bit of TLC so I look forward to picking all your minds to getting this bike back
in fine fettle ! From what I can see, the previous owner had the usual Motoplatt ignition failure
but re-wired the bike in a very complex way keep the bike running.
Besides Silent Hektik, are there other electronic ignition set-ups available ? Am I correct in
thinking that these NTX's have a slightly different system to the regular V65 models ?

Mark.

The NTX series seems to use slightly more advance than the other smallblocks but I think that was simply done by advancing the whole curve rather than by a new unique unit.
I have heard of people converting these bikes back to the earlier points system but given the exhaust manifold position I'd say that adjusting them would be a complete pain .
Another option was here
http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/
Sadly the designer died last year so they are not currently available but according to the web site the family has found someone competent to take over.
After Motoplatt issues i fitted the ZDG unit and was easy to fit and works very well.
You could probably also fit the small bloc dyna system....

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply.
You have certainly given me some handy options there. It will be interesting to see when or if
ZDG will get back into business. In the meantime I'll check out the Dyna system.
I'm telling ya, you should see the way this bike is wired.....it's insane !

You're welcome Air,
If you don't have it you can get the NTX workshop supplement here
http://www.guzzitek.org/
Whereabouts in Cork are you?- lived down in Beara for a good few years.....

That link is a great help....thanks a lot for that !
I'm in Cork city Chris. I see a lot of Beara when doing vintage/classic bike runs. The Beara region is getting
a small battering at the moment due to storms.
Where are you from yourself ?

Yes Air...I lived through some epic ones when I was there !!!!!!
Now living in southern France just south of the Larzac Plateau/Millau bridge...and a few kilometers below the snow line !

There are orange & red alerts on the coasts here over the last week or so.
I know the Millau region of France. I love France and am usually somewhere there at least once a year !
When this NTX is sorted, it will probably heading there at some stage !

If I get back down to that region I'll certainly look you up !
In the meantime, here's the latest addition:

She looks really good !
non stock sidestand - a close up could be useful to someone in the future.I put a lengthened Quota on mine using a bar between the centre stand and the long engine mounting bolt near the oil filler.

Hopefully over the next day or two I will try to get a close up of the side stand and post it up
here. I did notice that any of the other NTX's I saw online didn't have a side stand.
It's pretty difficult to get up on the centre stand but I'm wondering if it's due to the lower
shocks that are fitted.

The first NTX series didn't have them which I think was really stupid and so must the dealers because the following series had them.The TT didn't have a centre stand which I also don't really get but most bikes now don't either.
Putting shorter shocks without modifying the stand will make it much harder to stand.Mine is now very difficult to lift as I have shorter shocks and dropped the forks down by the same amount to keep the geometry stock.I have most of the stuff to put an 18" wheel on the front with a floating disc and 4 pot brake to make it handle and brake more sharply but havn't found time to go there yet.
There's a heck of a lot of roads around here similar to those in Beara and County Cork so you need to have good brakes and turn sharply to get the most out of them!

I know zilch about the NTX ignition system but on scanning the schematic I see a separate module for each cylinder with just one common pickup.
I would assume if the bike fails to run at all, look to the pickup but if just one side fails look to the electronic module or coil for the side thats down.
The first thing to check of course is if you have 12 Volts to the common wire feeding the coils.

I have a Dyna system on my old California II, I think they are still available.

If you can install a Dyna and you get the Dyna III, reverse the left and right pickup leads so the firing is correct. That is what I did when I installed one an a V50III and it worked great.

Thanks for all your help guys.
I was looking into the Dyna S system for the small block engine but I have been told that the points plate from an earlier engine would be needed to make it work. Another source suggests that the NTX cam end may not be compatible to drive the points plate. Can the Motoplat system be made to be reliable ? The general consensus is that it's a pretty flawed system.

chris a said:
Another option was here
http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/
Sadly the designer died last year so they are not currently available but according to the web site the family has found someone competent to take over.
After Motoplatt issues i fitted the ZDG unit and was easy to fit and works very well.
You could probably also fit the small bloc dyna system....

Some good news ! I contacted Christina Sachse yesterday and she tells me that
Electronik Sachse will be re-opening for business at the end of January. So I think
I will be following your route Chris and fitting one of these kits to the NTX, all going
well.

It was the easiest option for me at the time my motoplatt burnt out as replacements were not available.
Good to hear that they will be resuming production after Volker's horrible death.

Unfortunately, the Electronik Sachse transfer to new ownership is still
not complete. They tell me to try back again sometime next month. :(
I have since been in contact with C5 Performance in the USA which do
an entire stand-alone system that includes coil, plug caps , wires etc.
Hopefully this will cure my NTX's woes !
I've since ordered some hand guards, twin shocks, front mudguard and
a new silencer(muffler) to replace the existing tatty items.......

Back