• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Touring windshield - turbulence

ploose

Tuned and Synch'ed
Have bad turbulence on my 1400 Cal Touring around my head with 55mph +, windshield is not really adjustable...any suggestions or solution other than taking it off?

Think I have read somewhere that there is a lower screen option.
Should get the turbulence off your head and may also help with the top of the screen intersecting your line of sight if that was a problem.

If you can get air behind the screen, that would reduce the vacuum and thus some of the turbulence. A vent in the screen is one way to go. I used two PVC pipes to direct air up from the bottom of my screen to the driver side. Laminar Lip makes a screen that uses this concept.

All,

Thanks for y'all suggestions. I ended up with a windshield spoiler / extension from Wunderlich. This little thing worked wonders. It is pretty much working like the Laminar Lip but it is smaller and you can choose angle, extension reach etc. I can only recommend it. Good is also you can take it from one bike to the next, in case you run into similar turbulence issues. Here is the product info:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDfJyXnIQ0[/youtube]

Thanks again folks

P

[
20131211_130059_2.jpg

For the thread..this is an MRA shield...mounts wont reach the handlebars so I turned some mounts on the lathe and mounted this to the two open threads on the upper triple clamp.

Attachments

• photo 1(2).JPG
    photo 1(2).JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,502
  • photo 2(2).JPG
    photo 2(2).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,502
On various bikes, I have found that defeating the low pressure behind the screen prevents the high pressure at the front causing air to spill from front to back in an unstable manner i.e. left/righjt/left etc. I normally achieve this by adjusting fittings so there is a sizeable gap between the bottom of the screen and headlamp e.g. about 4 inches. I also normally set the screen top edge so I am only just looking over it. Otherwise, if lower I can't ride round town with visor open. Sometimes this has needed a screen top extension and sometimes needs a bit cutting off the top. Some bikes ( Honda Pan European and Deauvlille) come with a gap or opening at the bottom

I had the same problem. Fixed it by making a new bottom bracket a little longer than the stock one. It tips the windshield back slightly and allows a gap between the headlight and windshield. This got rid of the low pressure behind the windshield. Just got to pull it back off and paint it black.

I had the same experience. My fix was to use the stock/factory mount bar with a smaller windshield. Also , I changed the orientation of the lowers and tilted them a degree or 3 more toward vertical. Hope the pic comes through. That screen is a Memphis Shade Alley Cat, 9" cut out that I modded to match the headlight shape. Its from Dennis Kirk, about 95 bucks.

MB

DSCN0625

DSCN0626

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the MG oem lower air deflectors. Stopped the buffeting. I have the wunderlich too but I am too short. Don't like looking through the windshield as it is.

I too added the MG oem lower air deflectors and it eliminated the buffeting completely.
Me too! The factory accessory windshield lowers completely eliminated that annoying buffeting. I'm only 5' 7" but my wife, who is 5' 10", says it works for her as well. The lowers mount about a quarter inch behind the windshield. My guess is they channel just enough air upward (behind the windshield) to eliminate the buffeting.

Interesting. Clarification. Is the buffeting the lowers are preventing at helmet level? I'm getting buffeting from the medium size screen...I'm 5-9...how will installing the lowers help buffeting coming at helmet level? Thanks!

The lowers made a huge difference for me. I'm 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I cut down my touring windscreen 3" first. That helped but didn't solve the buffeting. Added the lowers and the problem went away!

This is from CalSci's website:

When you're riding on the highway, any windshield is pushing air away from the rider. This leaves a low-pressure pocket between the windshield and the rider. Some riders feel this low-pressure area as a push on their shoulders, "back pressure." The air flowing past the windshield wants to drop into this low pressure area. If the outside air is allowed to spill into the area between the windshield and the rider, the result is turbulence, noise, and drafts. When outside air spills into the rider area, it almost always falls in a curved path, causing spinning vortices of air. These vortices are noisy and can cause the battering and hammering on your helmet reported by some riders. Our windshields and vents are designed to funnel air into the rider region to relieve this low pressure area and greatly reduce the tendency of outside air to spill in. The vents are designed so that the air coming through them is quickly dispersed, leaving almost no detectable air flow at the rider. Our goal is to produce almost completely still air on the rider with no back pressure.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Windshield

OK...So for those of you who did some trimming on the stock or aftermarket shield...how exactly do you do that without making it look like a goat chewed on it...??
Jigsaw or ...??

OK...So for those of you who did some trimming on the stock or aftermarket shield...how exactly do you do that without making it look like a goat chewed on it...??
Jigsaw or ...??

I used painters tape and marked the cut line with a marker then slowly used my jig saw with a fine toothed blade to make the cut. After light sanding to get the edge right, I wiped the cut edge with a rag and acetone.

Back