• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spark plug covers '13 V7

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Anyone else out there who would rather have metal spark plug covers vs the cheap plastic ones that are on the latest V7 lineup. I am slowly getting rid of nearly all of the plastic that is on my bike. To me, plastic is cheap in looks, feel, and overall aesthetic.

I haven't found any aftermarket ones so I am assuming they are not out there, but they would be a nice touch because I do like the clean look they give the heads. Small piece to be concerned about but if you're like me then every piece counts, and these, along with the cheap chromed plastic throttle body covers and plastic side panels on my V7 Stone, are going. Fenders are going too, replaced with aluminum.

I would happily pay more for quality metal parts, and I think I'm not alone on this, so why would they not do it right from the start: metal side panels (stock on the V7R only), metal front and rear fenders, headlight bucket, etc. The more plastic, the less soul and character, especially for a retro, classic styled bike.

I couldn't imagine owning a v7 with a plastic tank!

I DEFINITELY prefer a Metal tank.

However, I'm open to plastic on a lot of other things.

My Jackal rear fender rusted through after just a couple of years.

I actually changed the front fender to fiberglass just cause it was available.

My only complaint with the plastic on the V7 is the rear fender could use a little more structural rigidity to keep the tail-light and turn signals from bouncing around as much as they do.

But the spark plug covers - forgedaboutit...

I completely agree. I want to replace the entire cylinder head cap with something a little more old school. I'm trying to figure out if the ones from the 2011 models can just be swapped out. I'm doubting it is that simple, but that would be nice and convenient.

shadowpeople said:
I completely agree. I want to replace the entire cylinder head cap with something a little more old school. I'm trying to figure out if the ones from the 2011 models can just be swapped out. I'm doubting it is that simple, but that would be nice and convenient.

I'm completely the opposite. I think the older motors, both the shape of the jugs and the valve covers look horrible in comparison to the new motors. :laugh:

The spark plug covers are a bit complex to machine, so the cost would be pretty high, and I'd need a significant volume in order to justify production. If there are enough takers, I can do a run. Post below if you'd be interested if the cost were ~$100-125/pair, or so.
The older valve covers will bolt on to the new motor, but the fuller jug size, that fills out under the new cover, would be exposed. Next I have a '13 I'm my shop, I'll pop my '12 V7R cover on and snap a pic to post.

GT-Rx® said:
The spark plug covers are a bit complex to machine, so the cost would be pretty high, and I'd need a significant volume in order to justify production. If there are enough takers, I can do a run. Post below if you'd be interested if the cost were ~$100-125/pair, or so.
The older valve covers will bolt on to the new motor, but the fuller jug size, that fills out under the new cover, would be exposed. Next I have a '13 I'm my shop, I'll pop my '12 V7R cover on and snap a pic to post.

I would be interested for sure.

francod123 said:
I would be interested for sure.
Thanks, so there's one. I'd need 12-15 sets to make it worth the effort, so anyone else interested speak up by posting below.

Come on guys! These would look great. A small piece but I think it would make a big difference.

I had a better look at the covers yesterday, I would use the upper and lower center valve cover bolts as the hold downs, and I might be able to do some type of plug cap protector (similar to below), which the newer engines haven't had the option for (outside of the one that bolts under the entire valve cover). I can probably do a slider there as another option (similar to below also, but *much* smaller in size), or just do one as a exact replacement to stock. Thoughts from those who would buy them?

MOTOGUZZIV7_FS_RFit1.jpg

Still not exactly sure how it would look on the new v7s Todd, based on your comments, but I apologize for my ignorance or lack of being able to fully visualize it (except for the sliders that is). However, I'm still voting for a spark plug cover regardless. It's a gamble for you but I would bet you could still sell 12 if they were simply up in the store without anyone "signing up" for some. That and exhaust flanges for the v7. Ok I'm getting greedy now. :0

No seriously though, I'm just hoping to potentially see new items I would be interested in and provide you with my own user feedback. But cost effectiveness is paramount for you obviously.

francod123 said:
I'm just hoping to potentially see new items I would be interested in and provide you with my own user feedback. But cost effectiveness is paramount for you obviously.
I generally only do new items if I get a decent amount of orders up front, to cover the hard costs and time investment. I can't invest both into something that may take even a year to break even.
I'll be happy to mock up a drawing to show here if there are a handful more interest.

GT-Rx® said:
francod123 said:
I'm just hoping to potentially see new items I would be interested in and provide you with my own user feedback. But cost effectiveness is paramount for you obviously.
I generally only do new items if I get a decent amount of orders up front, to cover the hard costs and time investment. I can't invest both into something that may take even a year to break even.
I'll be happy to mock up a drawing to show here if there are a handful more interest.

I hear ya. Than I guess I wish more people were interested in the products I'm interested in! Maybe a lot of people don't mind plastic…don't get it, especially on a retro bike. Well hopefully others will come forward.

makarushka said:
Absolutely interested; count me in Todd.
Thanks for chiming in. I'll model some and get some pricing to post to see how many are interested.

Todd, are we still talking about what I originally posted about - replacing the spark plug cover with a metal one? I would be interested in the other options too but also still interested in the metal spark plug cover option.

francod123 said:
Todd, are we still talking about what I originally posted about - replacing the placing spark plug cover with a metal one? I would be interested in the other options too but also still interested in the metal spark plug cover option.
Yes we are. I think I'm going to be able to offer options of adding a slider or a low fiction material to the end of the cover to help with low speed tip-overs, so that the valve cover/head doesn't get damaged.

Back