• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

For potential buyers....

Trout

GT Reference
I've been keeping notes and comparing the 2011 Black Eagle 1100 to the Custom 1400. I've got over 20,000 mile ride time on the 1100 & about 800 miles on the Custom. This post is rather long and intended more for people who have not owned a Guzzi. I decide to post it after reading the 1400 mods thread and "Joe" showed an interest in the bike. Hope this helps.

1100 Cali Black Eagle vs 1400 Cali Custom & a Good Sunday Ride

A Little History First

I got hooked on Guzzi in 1971. I rode the loop frame Guzzi's (Ambassador, El Dorado, California) 750 & 850's until the 80's then got into the “T” series which is a totally different bike, kinda like going from a 4 door Chevy Impala to a Camaro with a slightly worked V8 small block. All of these machines were carbureted, had points ignition & most had drum brakes. I liked them a lot, they were easy to work on, very dependable and fun to ride.

In 2012 I finally got a “modern” bike, well sort of. It has a computer & fuel injection & adjustable suspension were as what I had been riding had carburetor's, points & rear drum brakes. I was perfectly content riding a 40 year old machine but I was thinking about retirement & doing some extended traveling which would have been cool on a vintage machine but.......

So a 2011 California Black Eagle 1100cc bike was modern to me even if it was built on a frame design that was over 40 years old & a brake system (linked brakes) that was developed a little after the frame. Really it is a vintage bike with modern “stuff” adapted to it and it actually works quite well.

I had entered the World of Motorcycle Technology and I was lost and I did not like it. Even though I bought the Black in May of 2012 I really did not start riding it until September of that year. Compared to the 1974 Guzzi 850 T I had been riding the new one was not to my liking, what can I say I was quite comfortable with a non-techie bike. The old T sat lower & handle like it was on rails while the 2011 sat up higher & handling was lighter & quicker (I had to learn to have a lighter hold on the bars), the 2011 is a bit top heavy so uneven parking lots & dirt roads were scary. At speeds over 70 mph it did not feel as solid as my old T but she did not want to be ridden any slower than 70 so I got my first ticket ever after riding for over 40 years! Actually I was never a slow rider so that ticket was long overdue.

What I didn't like about the 2011: the upright riding position, that she looked somewhat like a cruiser but wanted to be ridden like a sport bike, not having carbs to fiddle with & not knowing how to tune the bike using a computer. Engine Maps? In my day maps were folded up directions not engine management computer control systems.

I always felt like I was winding out the engine (even though I was well below red line) & would shift to a higher gear but then she would be real doggy. I continued to ride her determined I was going to learn to like this bike and the more I rode the more I began to understand her. Finally I surrendered to her will. I took the cruiser handle bars off put on some lower bars, a small wind screen, a power commander with auto tune, raised the forks & put on some free flowing mufflers and rode her like a sport bike. It took 10,000 miles but we became friends and by 15,000 we were intimate and at the end of a year with 20,000 miles together we knew each others secrets. She would whisper: don't you dare look at my tach or speedo, just put me in gear & ride me until it feels right.

So I learned how to ride a modern Guzzi & found out that computers and injection weren't so bad. The 2011 is so comfortable & easy to ride at speeds of 70 to 80 that it is almost impossible to ride her slow but sometimes I just wanted to ride slow & enjoy the country. All the reports pointed to the new Cali 1400 as being that kind of machine.

2011 was the last year Guzzi produced the old California 1100 model based on what Guzzi folks call the “T” or Tonti frame. 2013 was the first year they introduced the new totally redesigned California 1400 model. The King is Dead; Long live the King. So now I have the last & the first, well almost the first, mine is a 2014 Custom and this brings us to the comparison. There is none, might just as well compare a Ferrari with an Alfa Romeo but we can talk about differences.

Just a minute ago I was mentioning how the 2011 Cali likes to cruise at 70 to 80 mph, how 3rd gear is fine for cruising at 60 or 65mph and 4th will put you at 80 quite comfortably & stay there all day long.

The 2014 however does not really care what gear you are in or at what speed you are riding. In the city I have found myself in 4th gear at 40 mph but I have also been out in the country and looked down to see I was in 4th doing 65 mph. On the 2014 you can be in 5th gear in less than a city block with no complaints from this bike. I have cruised down the hi way in 6th at 65 or twisted the throttle a little more and cruised along at 80 or twisted a little more and cruised above 80 without feeling like I was speeding. She is a very laid back bike but don't let that fool you because she is ready to party anytime, any place.

Acceleration & Passing

Acceleration:
Describing the differences in acceleration from a rolling start between these two machines is purely emotional. The 2011 feels quicker while the 2014 is a rare type of smooth power. I was trying to explain this to my wife and the only example I could come up with was: I asked her to remember the Camaro she used to drive & how much fun it was to get her up to 80. Then I asked her to remember that Lincoln Continental she had & how she was always shocked when she glanced down and saw she was hitting 80 in that big old boat.

The 2011 has long stretches in each gear where you can feel the engine getting close to the sweet spot and then into the sweet spot and that's when the foolish grin is stuck on your face. Sometimes I just hold it at the sweet spot especially going into a curve or coming out then twisting her up another notch, that's were the 1100 is so fine, so fun. So the 2011 is an all over tingle that feels good & makes you smile.

The 2014 on the other hand is a bit harder to describe but reminds me of the old big block chevy, ford & dodge muscle cars of the 70's. This bike is muscles, it feels strong & pulls hard quickly, effortlessly in each gear causing you to do some rapid (for a Guzzi) shifting but the bike is so smooth that it lacks a certain sensation that would normally accompany a trip to the ton.
Passing:
On the 2011 if I am in 4th at 55 or 60 (borderline bogging there) I will downshift & twist the throttle. Not so on the 2014! I have been in 5th gear at 60mph and just rolled the throttle on to pass quite quickly. I have also dropped a gear and rolled it on just to feel the power. I had a thought while riding the 2014 this past Sunday that it must be like riding one of the old Guzzi's Converts with the 2 speed auto trans, no shifting just twist & go.

Handling

The 2011 is a lighter bike, sits up higher and reacts quicker. The suspension on mine is stock and really needs improvement so taking a curve at speeds over 70 can be a bit interesting especially when the road is a rough country road. Hit a bump or an uneven road surface and the bike will wallow a bit. Riding the curves on the 2011 requires a light touch and loose body; stiff arms & a death grip are not wanted here, no sir.

I took the 2014 to some of my favorite curves so I could get a good comparison and I have to say that she out classed the 2011. Same or higher speeds and she was rock solid thru every curve, it was effortless & fun & took no muscle at all, just look thru the curve pick a destination and go there, don't even think about it. Honestly this bike will corner way more than I have the nerve to try. I test rode one in the mountains and scraped the floorboards. Down here in Florida land there are only a few good curvy roads so scraping metal around here on a 1400 will take a better rider than me. Yes sir a much better rider than me.

Backing Up & Parking Lots

The 2011 sits up higher and I can flat foot her (5”8” 30” inseam) & she may be lighter but she is top heavy. Sitting on the saddle and trying to push backwards can be hazardous if there is loose sand or a dip in the parking lot. Your foot slides in the sand or if you have to put your foot down & it doesn't contact the pavement quick enough she wants to go over. I have dropped her once on each side but thankfully I was loaded with soft saddle bags packed with camping gear so nothing was hurt but ego. Now I scan the lot even more carefully before parking. The 2014 is heavier & sits way lower so sitting on the saddle and pushing back is really no problem.

When I'm in soft earth, loose dirt or uneven terrain and I have to back a Guzzi up I get off and stand to the left side of the tank, grab the handle bars & support the weight of the bike on my right hip, then walk/push backwards. This technique works very well on the 2011 but how about the 2014? The 2014 Cali was no problem, you feel the extra weight & it takes a bit more grunt but it's no problem. It may actually be easier because she is not top heavy but she is heavier.

Riding thru a parking lot on the 2011 poses no real problem or handling issues while the 2014 does have a heavy feel to the front end. A half hour spent in the unused part of a large parking lot taught me what I needed to know: even though she feels heavy and at a certain turn angle feels like she is going over just don't panic. Get the front wheel straightened up a bit and she does just fine.

Riding Times

Well there is saddle time and there is fuel stop time.

Fuel stops on the 2011 are about 140 miles apart depending on how I ride. I have gone as far as 168 miles and have also run out at 152 miles.

The 2014 has 6000 miles of demo rides on her and I've only put on a few hundred myself so I have not settled into a groove. I'm still in that testing mode which means fast starts, holding gears in longer than needed & accelerating just to feel the power so right now it is fuel stops at 125 miles and putting in about 3.6 gallons: approx 35 MPG. I don't think that is too shabby but I really wish Guzzi would make larger tanks as an option. My old loops had 6 gallon tanks & I would love a 6.5 or bigger on both the 1100 & the 1400, I want to ride not socialize.

Saddle time on the 2014 is still too early to tell especially with the riding position. The 2011 had cruiser style bars from the factory and they really killed my shoulders & back, I prefer a slightly forward position & being able to change my position. I put on a set of adjustable clip ons & by putting my feet on the passenger pegs I have ridden 500 mile days with no problems. I can ride in an upright cruiser position with feet on the floorboards or go into “racer” mode & stretch out. As far as the seat goes after 20,000 miles I'm ready for a firmer place to park my butt. The stock seat has been good but my bony little butt has got the padding flattened out and now it kind of bunches up after a 100 miles or so.

The 2014 seems to lock me into a one position ride which may be a killer for me on long rides, time will tell. I have noticed that I have been trying to put my feet on the passenger pegs like I do on the 2011 so I flipped them out and found out that it is not going to work on this machine, totally uncomfortable. Lately I have been doing a “hang ten” on the back of the running boards meaning I'm just resting my toes on the back of the running boards. It's not a great amount of change but it does get my legs into a different position.

Even though the 1400 has floor boards I would not say that it has “forward controls” especially when compared to some of the cruisers out there where your legs are really stretched out. My riding position on the 1400 is closer to a traditional or standard style bike, I am considering adding “something” either extensions to the floor boards or fold out pegs between the running boards & the passenger pegs.

The seat seems to be ok for now but I am going to have to find a way to change riding positions because I did notice that after about 170 miles my body was getting a bit sore, very similar to the 2011 in stock cruiser trim.

1400 changes I'd like to see: Larger fuel tank, cruise control button swaps places with the 4 way flasher button.

I started writing this right after the 1400 was delivered and really did not have any serious ride time invested. This past Sunday I met a guy riding a Buell 1200 adventure style bike & we rode together most of the day. The following is what I learned about the 1400 because of that ride.

Sunday Ride

We met at a diner, we talked over coffee & we decided to ride together with him taking lead. That Buell sounded good, very healthy with a nice rumble but not obnoxious loud. We had to ride through town to get to the first of many back country roads we would be on that day. I was comfortable with how he rode in traffic and as soon as we were in the country he took to the yellow line and watched for an opportunity to pass two pick up trucks we had come up on. When the opening came he never hesitated but he did not pass at a crazy fast speed either, he left plenty of room for me to follow.

I liked that he used hand signals for passing and he would also motion a “go forward” or direction change at stop signs and unless there was traffic we didn't actually stop. Once thru the intersection he rolled it on and then held steady at about 10 mph over the posted speed, he knew the roads & I followed his lead were speed limits (or ignoring them) were concerned. I have no idea of how hard he was twisting the throttle when we did those rolling stops but the 1400 had no problem keeping up.

The first time he did a rolling stop then cranked it on I hammered down on her also. I was in second and hit the rev limiter shifted to third & hit it again, went into fourth & realized that I had been gaining on him and really did not need to hold the gears that long. Since then I have never hit the rev limiter again & he never got any distance on me.
Lesson: Shift, shift, shift let the engine do the work. On my 1100 you hit the sweet spot & know/feel that you are coming to the top of the gear but not so on the 1400.

He rode close to the yellow line and about 10 to 15 over the posted limit and on certain roads would run it up to 80 or so. I watched him take the first few curves with about 5 or 6 bike lengths between us. He would move off the yellow line enough to allow for a car coming the opposite way to be on or slightly over the line. I was riding to the right of the grease slick for a little extra insurance rather than riding directly behind him. He stayed glued to wherever he was when going into a curve, in other words he did not feel the need to move to the outside and cut thru the inner track on a curve. He was familiar with these curves and knew his bike and breezed right through them so I followed feeling very confident & comfortable. When I did see him drift over to do the “Outside-Inside-Outside'' I knew we were coming up on an interesting curve.

I knew most all of the roads we were on but had never ridden hard on them and just when I thought I had his route figured out he would throw in a surprise turn, it really made for a great ride & for once I was not the lead dog. Really, it was nice just to follow and it also allowed me to compare the 1400 to a bike of a completely different breed and also to my 1100. The thing it really did for me though was to show me how capable this bike is in the curves. I have always found that it was far easier for me to follow another bike through a curve, that I would take them faster than I would normally think I am capable of.
Lesson: The 1400 Custom will accommodate a far better rider than me. Period.

We went through curves at a far greater speed than I thought I was capable of. If I had been riding alone I would never have attempted it & if I did I probably would have crashed not through any fault of the bike but because I would have faltered. How fast was I going? I have no bloody idea to be honest because I fell into a rhythm, a cadence, I had found a groove & a style. There was almost no down shifting required & only a slight change of course and that was more for fun than needed. When I saw him move to the outside I would downshift & get into his tracks & flow through the curve. I do know that on one left I scraped metal and on another curve it went so beautifully that coming out I was rolling the throttle on contemplating a Buell fly by when I glanced at a speedo reading of 90 mph on a curve that was posted at 45.

I dropped in behind the Buell and for the next few curves I was a little shaky & cautious. I would not have taken that curve at that speed on the 1100 or even on the old 850T which handled far better than the 1100.

Some of the roads were pretty poor, patched & uneven, unseen dips & swells but the 1400 took it all in stride, a few bumps caught me unaware but none ever jolted my back or bounced the bike uncomfortably or uncontrollably. I know a few guys that ride Victory's and a big complaint among them is the stiff rear suspension is hard on the back & makes the bike jittery. I have ridden a few of the Yamaha big V-Twin cruisers and I said the same thing about them. On previous rides & again on the first ride of that Sunday morning I had noticed that the riding position was not the best for me. I am most comfortable in a sport or sport touring style, slightly forward with feet back and up a bit but after riding all day I have to say that I must have gotten used to it because I had no aches, pains or stiff, sore muscles when I parked her for the night. Of course it could have been the adrenaline.

Trout,

Great write-up. I enjoyed your perspective.

I got my Cali Custom the Monday before Christmas and have 1,300 miles on her. It's amazing how so many people refuse to accept the fact that, for a really big bike, the new Cali handles very nicely - not at all like what you would expect from a cruiser. I too was a little concerned about the riding position, but so far so good. I must not be riding as hard as you. My mileage is consistently in the 38 mpg range, with a high for a tank of 40 mpg and a low of 34.

Fun read Trout, thanks. I finally got through it.

The big girl can dance, no doubt. The Custom has a significantly better rear shock set up on it then the Tourer does. Only Guzzi knows why I guess. There has been some hinting to interest in a foot peg set up. Curious to know if you would be, or if the boards are good for you.

I look forward to adding a Cal 14 to my fleet here soon, and more looking forward to the upgrades; Fueling/exhaust and suspension.

GT-Rx® said:
..There has been some hinting to interest in a foot peg set up. Curious to know if you would be, or if the boards are good for you...

I look forward to adding a Cal 14 to my fleet here soon, and more looking forward to the upgrades; Fueling/exhaust and suspension.

This is my very first bike with footboards and I was skeptical that i would like them. Now that I've put a few miles on the bike I think I like them. Let's me move my feet around a little more. I may pull the heel shifter so I can let my foot hang off the back of the left board.

Having said all of that, a 'Griso-like' riding position may be pretty entertaining on the custom. :D

Nice comparison Trout. I too came from a Tonti Cal to the 1400. I put 120K + miles on my 2003 Stone before taking a test ride on several newer Guzzi's, trying to decide on which to add to the stable. I didn't want to, but immediately fell in love on the 1400 test ride. They are two completely different bikes of course but you can feel the lineage in the ride. The 1400 shares the same neutral handling of my Stone, a feeling I have yet to find on any other street bike outside of a Moto Guzzi.

Notes after putting 1800 miles on the 1400 since I got it the day after Christmas 2013 (not too may riding days this winter in New England).

-At first I felt the 1400 had lost a bit of Guzzi soul due to the lack of vibration...it feels almost too refined. But now I don't miss the Stone's vibrations as much.
-Riding the 1400 on cold days is a much warmer experience than the Stone...due to a wider profile cutting the wind ahead of the rider..and possibly more heat off the cylinders. (I haven't had any days above 70 to find out if the heat output from the engine will be a sore spot on warm days)
-The transmission on the 1400 is like 'butter' compared to the Stone's. Night and day.
-On the 1400, 60mph+ roll ons in 6th, or 5th gear passes from 60 to Illegal speeds are amazingly quick and become addictive.
-Handling of both bikes are similarly neutral though the Stone is much easier to flick...it loves curves at 40-65mph and can embarrass sport bikes at that pace. The 1400 is flickable but I think the overly wide rear donut keeps it from transitioning as fast as the Stone can...however the 1400 feels much more stable at higher cornering speeds. Ground clearance may become an issue in super tight twisties on the 1400.
-On the highway the 1400 is the KING of the road.
-I can roll the Stone around a parking lot, garage, or dirt parking lot from a stand still like it's a dirt bike. The 1400 shows it's weight when trying to push it... often I must get off and push it back while standing to the left...and forget it if any kind of incline is involved. This leads me to think about where I park it, keeping the front end parked level or pointed up hill.

I loved my California Stone because of how versatile and fun a bike it was. Very comfortable, decent range, amazingly fun in the twisties, and extremely reliable and maintenance free. The 1400 adds a bit of adrenaline to that package, and I hope to put another 120K miles on. I just need to keep from getting speeding tickets on it.

Back