• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Top speed hit on your Guzzi

Tonerjockey said:
Not tremendously fast... but as fast as I could go!

126.368 MPH on a "stock" '73 V7 Sport.

Hey Corn Oil, is the Oswego Drag Raceway still there?

Alex
I'm impressed!

Took 3 years of effort and about $30K.

This year should be interesting. Got me some Mike Rich "Glue and screw" heads, built a new exhaust, & a different Megacycle cam. Dyno shows abot a 40% increase in HP at the crank.

Tons-0-fun!

Alex

Alex,

As you know every HP or mph is expensive. I believe Jason Pridmore compared his GSXR race bike (several hundred Ks invested) to an off the show room GSXR and the difference in lap times was only about 2 seconds.

Yesterday while out riding I had the opportunity to give my 1993 Lemans V 1000 a bit of a handful . Lovely long straight of about 3 K's , no police , warm afternoon , no traffic , just me and Mrs Guzzi .
At one stage the speedo clock was showing 210 KPH , from memory the rev counter was 6500 , I cant remember whether I was in 4th or 5th . Probably 5th I reckon .
First time I've done that speed on this bike , wow she sounded cool , the inlet tract really screams at those revs , with my head just a little above the screen .
Supaflee

I had a Sigma bicycle speedometer on my Sport 1100i so I'm hoping the speed was closer to reality than the stock unit on the bike. On Patterson Pass Road near Tracy, California at the 90˚ turn by the Tesla substation to the curve, 20mph -> 134.1mph -> 35mph in 1.4 miles. Fastest I've ever been. Not likely to go that fast again. Fear of speeding tickets predominates.

I guess the best way to get a pretty accurate reading of speed is to use GPS, either a satnav or down load an app for a smart phone.

I've checked the Guzzi by an app on my phone and up to 40 mph it's reading 5-10% fast, it's a bit difficult to hold it bang on and there's a couple of seconds delay in the calculation on the phone. At 70 and 80 mph it's arounf 3-5 mph faster than the GPS reading. My Alfa Romeo can be set on cruise control which makes it a whole lot easier, and reads 5% faster than GPS up to 90 mph.

Iain

Carl Allison said:
I had a Sigma bicycle speedometer on my Sport 1100i so I'm hoping the speed was closer to reality than the stock unit on the bike. On Patterson Pass Road near Tracy, California at the 90˚ turn by the Tesla substation to the curve, 20mph -> 134.1mph -> 35mph in 1.4 miles. Fastest I've ever been. Not likely to go that fast again. Fear of speeding tickets predominates.
Carl , I dont understand your figures . I dont want you to go do it again , I just dont get the meaning of your numbers .
Betcha it was fun anyway .
Regards Supaflee

Supaflee said:
Carl Allison said:
Carl , I dont understand your figures . I dont want you to go do it again , I just dont get the meaning of your numbers .
Betcha it was fun anyway .
Regards Supaflee

Supaflee, quick acceleration from out of one curve ( the 20 to 134.1) then a quick braking to get down to 35 for the next curve. All accomplished in 1.4 miles. Pretty good run in anyone's book.

Thanks JZ .
Now it really makes sense . I wish I knew the piece of road , it sounds like fun .
Just like music, when you practice it and know it well it's beautiful , but dont ever play a wrong note .
Regards Supaflee

1978 V50/II - 106 indicated. I was slipstreaming a Goldwing Owners Club however!

1995 1100 California - 105 indicated. REALLY struggling at that - I'm sure that bike just wasn't running right.

2008 Griso 1100 - 130 indicated. I do this regularly, I stop when the RPM hits the red in top.

To be honest, 130 is good enough for me. I remember being on the FZR1000 at an indicated 171 when the oil light came on!

I remember once waiting at traffic lights and looking down at speedo on griso and it reading 182 mph :?

Just saw this thread... Hit 160+ kph ( 100-105 mph) 2 up with the bags loaded. ( careful in Ontario, 50 kph over and the vehicle is seized and your suspended). Did see 349 kph though at a stop light with a wet sensor

Recently saw 137 on the Griso (8V SE) speedo....at 7500 rpm....flat road, no wind.....didn't go back the other way to average....good enough for me.....
Mine is a Todd Special....

however fast a LeMans V engine with an SP gearbox and rear end will go on the back straight of Road Atlanta at 8000 rpm with me in a flat track tuck.

It would still pull nicely at 8k but I could never bring myself to go over that, visions of blown engines and me crashing and all that.

however fast a LeMans V engine with an SP gearbox and rear end will go on the back straight of Road Atlanta at 8000 rpm with me in a flat track tuck.

It would still pull nicely at 8k but I could never bring myself to go over that, visions of blown engines and me crashing and all that.

That's about 140mph. I've done 7700rpm in top on the back straight at Seattle Pacific Raceways. Approx 135mph.

I'm old, take to long to heal and don't care about top speed. All I know is by my G11 is faster than my old 400f and will scare the Bejesus out of me in fourth gear.

Back