• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Broken Norge 8V 2012 :(

mojohand

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Out for a quick jaunt to check on my folks' mail in Chester...and after 16 miles, while pulling away from a stoplight, the dreaded red triangle of death showed up on my dash, foloowed a minute later by the drippy can of oil. Quick pulloff into a parking lot, engine shut down....and oil observed.

For your weepy schadenfreude pleasure:

Ruh-roh...
8291824723_b8496a83d0_c.jpg

The left side of the engine (as you're sitting on it)
8292877550_39e30caa17_c.jpg

The right side of the alternator
8291823949_9f00bb5c4c_c.jpg

Looking down on the left side from the fairing
8292877070_6b2812bced_c.jpg

Not how I like to travel :(
8292876872_2028b6ba0e_c.jpg

Fortunately you have the warranty to cover the cost and if its a bid deal, a bike in the shop during winter is better than mid riding season. Let's hope its a loose crankcase breather hose or something.

mojohand said:
schadenfreude
Haven't seen any of this on this site! :( I'm sure you'll let us know what it turns out to be.

Update:

The dealership determined the cause of the problem was the oil switch--here's Pete Roper's picture of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44512000@N00/8363003135/

As Pete says on Wildguzzi, "Different fitting on the same shitty switch. Unlike the pushrod motors it lives in the valley and you have to remove the tank and on a Norge probably the air box to get to it."

But they've fixed it under warranty, so that's good. Also, I had 'em do all oils, flush & replace hydraulic fluids, set TPS, adjust valves...in other words, set a baseline.

It's gonna be a week or more before I can pick it up, but there garage is more heated than my motoport. So, there's that...

Picked up the bike from Redline Performance Motorsports in Yorktown. It was spendy (I had 'em do a full service plus a reflash), but things seem solid. Afeared that the oil switch will self-destruct, but, man! It was fun today!

Pics here:

You're not helping my hankering for a Norge . . . beautiful bike! The F4 ain't so bad either, but my anatomy would not permit me to lay down to ride it.

Good lord this is getting old.

Raven is at Redline, towed their after I'd taken the rear tire off, drove it to Eppa's to have new rubber put on, drove back, put the wheel back on...and realized I didn't want to cover it with oil on the 60-mile drive to Yorktown (what with the blown oil pressure switch & all).

So she'll get the fork rebuild done as well as another oil pressure switch. 17,255 miles/18 months on the bike. Ugh.

11445111744_d401c63ce6_b.jpg

And Saturday it's going to be 71[sup]o[/sup] F. And me with no bike.

=====

Update...Got a call from the dealer Wednesday. They are finally asking Guzzi for warranty approval on the second oil pressure switch. Then they'll do the fork rebuild, too. So maybe I'll have my bike back in February.

Now you know why I'm getting an FJR....

Latest update: After the dealer had my bike since 21 December, they called yesterday (29 January) to say that my bike was ready. They did the oil pressure switch and the fork rebuild under warranty (but Guzzi wouldn't warrant a full engine oil change, the bastards). So I now just have to drive the 60 miles to Yorktown to pick it up--not a trivial thing to do (need to arrange a ride from a willing pal, since my wife isn't available Saturday).

This whole affair has sucked eggs.

======

Back Story for those who missed it

In August, my Norge "Raven" crapped out on me as I was headed north to take pictures for a Motorcyclist article a friend is writing. On September 7, I towed it to the dealer. Here's what they said in response to my query of, "Have you found out anything yet?"

"We have checked and submitted a request for warranty consideration. We will
be in touch as we have updated information."

So, like the people in Casablanca in 1942, I waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. And waited.

I then called on September 12 (having not heard from the dealer).

It was one of the sparkplug wires (right, Zoom Zoom?) and boot shorting out on the bike. I also am having them rebuild the forks under warranty (the tops of my forks were weeping). I then had to wait for the fork parts to come in.So, I was notified on 13 September that they were warrantying my bike and ordering parts. Checking again on the 25th, and they said they were waiting on parts for the right fork.

The dealership kept the bike as they waited for parts, even though they could fix the spark plug easily. Well, apparently Redline has all the parts for my bike's repair except one: MG981156 - RH SLEEVE $392.45 (for the front fork rebuild). I parked my bike there on September 7. They got the warranty approved on September 12.

GRRRRRR!!!!

Now it's enough really to begin pushing me over the edge and off to another marque. That F800GT is looking pretty good, too.

Whew! Well, thanks to the magnanimous Wittangamo, I retrieved Raven in mid-October. Forks werent fixed, but it's a minor issue that doesn't keep me from riding. Should thought if this earlier. At army rate, and seven weeks later, I'm riding again.

And then in November right before Thanksgiving, I heard the fork sleeve was in. So I decided to get my rear tire replaced (I'd had a flat in early Nov). Went to get the tire changed, and BLAm! Another oil pressure switch failed. Towed the bike down to Yorktown, and, well, now you're caught up.

Mojohand - when the oil pressure sensors have failed, what are the symptoms?
- oil seepage or a major oil leak (say like 2-4 oz in 500 miles of riding or so)?
- oil pressure switch fails (sends false info to ecu causing dash warnings to appear)?
- is the Norge absolutely unable to be ridden when the oil pressure sensor fails?

Regards,

Bob (Ohiorider)

ohiorider said:
Mojohand - when the oil pressure sensors have failed, what are the symptoms?
- oil seepage or a major oil leak (say like 2-4 oz in 500 miles of riding or so)?
- oil pressure switch fails (sends false info to ecu causing dash warnings to appear)?
- is the Norge absolutely unable to be ridden when the oil pressure sensor fails?

Regards,

Bob (Ohiorider)

The symptoms? Red triangle and oil can on the dash combined immediately with gushes of oil over the engine and the rear tire. No warning at all.

yes, you can ride, but you'll soak your rear tire with oil. Not the safest thing to do.

SUX!!

You've got me thinking ...... I think I'll look over the 8v engine's parts list and see if I can locate a 'pressure regulator' associated with the oiling system. To have two of those pressure switches fail in such a short time ..... disappointing for you, to say the least.

Bob

EDIT - there is a pressure switch called out in the Griso parts manual. I can't tell if it is associated with the coolant oil pump or the engine lubrication pump system. IF its purpose is to act as a relief valve to regulate pump pressure ..... I wonder if ................ it could fail or stick, causing excessive oil pressure throughout the lubrication system.

The valve (#6) appears to have a few other components associated with it, in particular the spring called out as #5 in the accompanying drawing.

Maybe Pete Roper or someone else who's intimately familiar with the innards of these engines could make a judgement on this.

ohiorider said:
You've got me thinking ...... I think I'll look over the 8v engine's parts list and see if I can locate a 'pressure regulator' associated with the oiling system. To have two of those pressure switches fail in such a short time ..... disappointing for you, to say the least.
Bob

There was an excellent write up about oil pumps on Wild Guzzi in the last few days...actually it was about Fram filters but one of the links was to a paper talking about pumps.

Here's the link…http://mgnoc.com/article_oil_filters_revisited.html

Most oil pumps will have a pressure relief so the oil pressure does not get so high as to damage the engine or oil filter.

The 8V has dual pumps, one is high pressure and low volume, the other is high volume and low pressure. The latter is pushing oil through the cooler and to the valve train. I believe the oil pressure switch is on the high pressure/low volume circuit, where the regulator lives. Pete Roper or others should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, looks like I have a bad sensor too. Mine is intermittently saying that I don't have oil pressure. Like any intermittent electrical problem it's a real PITA to track down.

I'm on oil pressure switch #4, the last one I bought from Moto International (under $10). Hopefully will last a while.

I've learned to stop worrying about oil leaks after owning a MG for three years. ;)

Back