• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V Newbie

Griso Muscle

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone, got my 2013 Griso 8V SE. Although not new to Italian machines this will be my first Guzzi. I want to definitely change to taller bars as the bars are short and wide while the seat and pegs are very comfortable. I am just over 5'10 but i find that the Griso bars are quite uncomfortable and not quite matched with the comfy positioning on the seat and pegs. What size and diameter are the Griso bars? So i can order one that suits me.

Now coming to all the Guzziness about the bike, ok we all know about the torque reaction, which is actually the trademark quirkiness of the Guzzi.

1. But the rear wheel weaving on downshifts is a bit borderline to annoying is this normal or should i have it looked into. Its the reaction we get from the shaft on downshifts. I have a Yamaha Vmax and it reacts similar but only equals to about 10-20% of the Griso, although i would dare not downshift or upshift when riding the vmax aggressively on curves.

2. There is a slicing sound when dumping the clutch, is this normal?

3. And the handlebars giving me a bit of pain on my left shoulder and arm. Is this suspension set up? I somehow feel that the bar on the left side should be aligned a few mm towards me and feels as its not aligned properly. As though there is something amiss about the bars.

Please throw some light, it will be highly appreciated.

As for item 1, the rear wheel weaving. You are the cause. You are nor riding a bike with real engine braking. You need to be smoother. If you got it with the Vmax, then you technique needs improvement. Open the throttle on downshifts to match engine speed with ground speed, then come off the throttle. If you don't increase engine speed, the downshift is like applying the rear brake so the tire looses traction and slips.

Welcome to the Forum and congrats (I think) on the G8V. A bit of an abrasive first post, but I'll look past it for now;
1. As John says above.
2. The clutch may screech on abusive/aggressive launches, as it uses an automotive dry clutch. Don't be hard on it, it's not a V-Max.
3. The bars are 1.125"/~28mm or so. Most modern motocross bars will work, or you can source exact metric options. No bikes are perfect, and adapting to fit your comfort is up to you. The only real complaint has been too high of foot pegs. The '13 is about as best of suspension as delivered stock, but with that said, if you are outside of 155-170 lbs with gear on, certainly suspension is an issue. I have many solutions in the Store linked above.

Bar risers can be found with a little searching and may help your comfort issues. There's a suspension setup thread in this forum with some great tips on getting the ride dialed in. I haven't had any clutch problems like the ones you describe on my '12, and haven't read anything similar from anyone else. Don't take offense at the suggestions above that it's a rider issue, I suspect it will ease and disappear as you rack up miles and get used to the bike.

Congrats on the new bike, I also have a g8 but do not find any of the problems that you describe.

I had to fit lower pegs for added comfort but I like the aggressive position of the wide bars,

I also dont have any issue with the clutch set up apart from having the clutch leaver set to its no 4 setting as it is a little strong on the hand in a wider setting,

As for the back wheel weave, l have had a number of shaft drive bikes and my other current ride is an 08 fjr1300 and I can honestly say that the griso is a s good as any of them with the CARC set up. OF course if you drop a gear while travelling fast without slowing to the correct speed the back will lock as with all shaft drives.

I think with any new bike you need to give yourself a chance to get used to it for a while before changing too much,

Hope you get it sorted to your likeing as it is a great bike,

Guzzi Cat

Congrats on the new bike. I have a Friend that put an Aprilia bar on his because he didn't like the wider bar.

Thank you very much for the welcome and insight guys!

I have sorted out the issue of weaving and the handle bar alignment/shoulder discomfort. Actually very silly reasons. Normally, whenever i get a new bike i check the tyre pressures and suspension adjustments to get the bike to basic handling spec. My mind was occupied with something else and i overlooked something very important as air pressure which affect handling even for a minor change in psi. The rear was 24psi in the place of 42 and front 30 instead of 36. Once filled, the handlebar feels neutral and the discomfort disappeared. The weaving reduced by almost 90% and the rest is normal reaction to the shaft drives and probably my cause as put by John & Todd. The bike is near perfect as per stock subject to suspension settings which i will look up this week. I weigh about 190+ gear.

I will improvise on my riding as per John and Todd, and i take no offence to the posts wittangamo. There is never enough for one to learn. I tend to get a bit flustered with the number of bikes to set up, maintain and ride as often as i can, sometimes mixing up switch gear especially the horn button, gears and so on. And it does take up time to get to adjust with each bike especially for someone who is beyond obsessive about keeping them tidy inside out.

As for the clutch, its mild screech only when engaging/disengaging and disappears, its not when riding aggressively its normal riding when i slowly release the clutch, i think its the shaft re engaging. It maybe normal Guzzi aura and what's stated by me is actually amplified by my words to sound as though its more than what meets my ears to you guys. I'm probably more sensitive to engine sounds and smell than most. :lol: Thanks wittagamo and Guzzi Cat! It sure is a great bike. It completes my Italian collection.

On the handling front its not as flickable as my GT1000 or my GSX1400 (which is a lot heavier than the GT) for obvious reasons in weight, frame, geometry etc. It requires a bit more effort and change in style to keep it on the curves. The Griso has been touted as an awesome canyon carver, i will get used to it first as I'm mostly about riding safe.

I have the lowered pegs and i will install them and see if its more comfy. Have a carbon rear hugger i will install soon. Installed the H&B engine bars, important but they break the flow of the muscular headers. Are there slider type of engine protectors for the Griso? GSG, R&G dont have any. Also protection for the shaft drive. Need to find these. First i will change the handle bar, without having to change the cables and get max throwback.

GT-Rx® said:
Welcome to the Forum and congrats (I think) on the G8V. A bit of an abrasive first post, but I'll look past it for now;

Im sorry Todd, if i sounded abrasive about the Guzzi, my bad, i should've first checked them tyres. But by no means my intent was to sound that way, it was plain. I am a huge lover of motorcycles and have a soft spot for Italian bikes. I should've known better to check the tyres, as my dealer delivered the Vmax in 2010 with 23 psi in the front and dont remember the rear figure, which was also quite low. My best pal who rode the bike home for 5 miles, said its like a rock. I said if a bike don't handle, its shit even if its a vmax or anything grand its made out to be and when i had a go at home in the garage, instantly i knew the pressures were low. If i rode it from the dealer i would've probably dropped it having forgotten about the tyre pressures in all that excitement, thank god my buddy is 6'1+ and weighs 220. :laugh:

i didn't follow the "Welcome to the Forum and congrats (I think) on the G8V" You think :?: :unsure:

Sorry abt the long post guys! Off work today :p

Glad the tire pressure helped the weaving, now get the shifting right and it will all be gone.

As for accessories, we're on the same wavelength. I opted for practical protection that doesn't detract from the clean lines of the Griso. In the photo below you'll see Stucchi Luigi head guards, Pyramid hugger and fenda xtenda, and carc protector from a Stelvio. The flyscreen, rear rack and bag mounts are stock Griso accessories. Different strokes, etc, but it works for me.

9320806775_bd0481c2a3_b.jpg

Ditching the exhaust for one of Todd's made a big difference on my 2013 SE......then I cranked it up a couple of more notches with the full ECU reflash. Never had a shaft drive bike before so I was actually expecting more lash, the CARC seems very smooth to me.

I agree on the throttle blipping on the downshift.....but that's on any bike.

The way the Griso handles sweeping turns is great, that long wheelbase makes it very smooth.

When I got my 2007 1100 the forks were up in the triple clamps to the fourth line.
I dropped down one more - to the fifth line to quicken up the steering.
On a recent ride there was a fellow Griso pilot that had his forks to the sixth line.
Not exactly an easy mod but I'm glad I did it.

DM

Back