• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Disaster caused by dealer?

hellanwell

Just got it firing!
I took my Griso to a Guzzi dealer in England. I needed a oil pressure switch changed due to oil pressure light fault code. In the following two months the fault light continued however a new fault developed. I noticed a small amount of oil on the ground and on the left hand bottom side of the rear engine casing. As it was approaching xmas I decided to leave it till January to get it checked. I noticed however that the situation was getting worse with more oil rainbows on the floor. Also after some time there was seepage coming out of the rubber bung on the right hand side front gearbox bung. I keep the bike outside under a cover. I contacted the dealer explaining my problem they arranged to pick it up. After a few days they contacted me to explain what was happening. Apparently someone had contacted the gearbox breather pipe to the petrol filler cap drain and rain was draining into the gearbox. We have had a lot of rain as most of you will know and my cover is not the best.
Anyway eventually I got a bill for £1200 and a bike that has come back with a sticking clutch which has improved with use but is still not right. My question is this. I know that I have not done any maintenance as 1 I don't have the tools and 2 I don't want too, so when the dealer who I won't mention at this time, changed the oil pressure switch did he remove the fuel tank? I believe he has to access this switch under the fuel tank? When questioned he says we only propped it up and removed the oil pressure switch. He says that they would never make that kind of mistake. The bike has been to one other dealer approx six months prior for a service. The time between the second dealer replacing the switch and the problem with oil/watery seepage starting was about three months and then gradually got to point where it was certainly not just a oil leak four or five months approx five/six months before the dealer took the bike to inspect.
Do I challenge the dealer with a small claims case do people think I have a case? Hoping someone with tech knowledge can advise me.
All the best,
Ian

This is a technical forum, not a legal one. We can advise what to do to correct your current problem, which would be a tear down to inspect/clean/replace the clutch and check for further issues. Also to flush the gearbox to remove contamination and possibly open it up for inspection.

That said, if all work was performed by the same dealer, maybe. Since it was at two different dealers, the burden of proof as to which one is responsible would be extremely difficult. Still you could present your situation to a lawyer and see where to go from there.

john zibell said:
This is a technical forum, not a legal one. We can advise what to do to correct your current problem, which would be a tear down to inspect/clean/replace the clutch and check for further issues. Also to flush the gearbox to remove contamination and possibly open it up for inspection.

That said, if all work was performed by the same dealer, maybe. Since it was at two different dealers, the burden of proof as to which one is responsible would be extremely difficult. Still you could present your situation to a lawyer and see where to go from there.

What John said as to the "fix." Also hope you will get the technical answer about who caused the problem, though that would seem doubtful.

That said -- as a (retired & U.S., not UK!) lawyer -- let me add just a bit.

First, John's point about at least two fingers pointing all sorts of ways probably sinks your ship. Might be possible to fix blame, if blame there is, but the cost might outweigh any gain. No matter how upsetting, don't get caught up in that "it's the principle of the thing" idea. In the end, interest may make principle look small!

That said, lawyers and the legal system -- at least to the extent that means the courts -- are expensive and time-consuming. Perhaps you might consider mediation. See http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/mediation. If still under warranty, of course, that contract may require certain avenues for redress.

Be all of the above as it may, best wishes in resolving this maddening situation so you can ride rather than wrangle.

Bill

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. I live in West Yorkshire. I know you haven't named the dealer, but was it the one in Shipley near Bradford ?

Just tell them to fix it under warranty.

IF they say no, keep insisting until they call the cops.

At which point, you can do what I did for my rear drive (which was assembled wrong from the factory but failed just outside the warranty period) which is call MG USA on a near-daily basis. Dont worry about feeling like the bad guy. You are having to go to extreme measures to get them to perform the work you paid for in your purchase.

But as far as guzzi's go- This is why I do my own maintenance, and reccomend so to everyone. While your case is extreme, it isn't unusual for MG or dealers to screw up and then not honor warranty claims or point the finger elsewhere. When I bought my newer griso, it has been freshly "serviced" by the dealer. I tore the entire bike down a bit and found some issues, like kinked fuel lines, way too much oil, stressed wiring, stripped screws, etc. All fixed now.

Thank you for your replies. In the uk I could use the small claims court against the dealer which is a cheaper alternative.
Just a couple of questions which will help me decide.
From a technical point on a full service would the tank be removed? Also when replacing the oil pressure sensor do you have to completely remove the tank or could you just prop it up with a 'bit of wood' ?
The first dealer did a full service the second did the oil presser sensor.
Ian

For the service or sensor replacement the tank could just be lifted, but it is just as easy to remove the tank. So, the jobs could have been done either way.

john zibell said:
For the service or sensor replacement the tank could just be lifted, but it is just as easy to remove the tank. So, the jobs could have been done either way.

I've never done a Griso, only a Breva, but if the air filter is replaced in the service does the tank not have to come off?

Iain

If that is the case, then why would the tank come off for a regular service. I have a Stelvio so not sure on the Griso, but if a regular service is for argument sake all fluids, plugs, adjust valves, reset TPS, balance the TBs, clean/change oil/air filter.....at what point would the tank have to come off, or for that matter, tilted on the Griso.

Only time my tank on the Stelvio has come off was to look at the engine temp sensor for a fault, tighten some mounting bolts and remove my canister tubing.

If this is all true, then why would the shop that did the first service remove the tank and mix up the lines. Sounds like the second shop to me. The say they would never do it but if it is anything like my Stelvio, the hoses look identical and could see it happening if they did not pay attention. Just my 2 cents but I think it is worth at least raising some hell with MG to see how they handle it. Either way it was one of their shops that did it. Phone calls are free (so to speak). Run it right to the top and see what falls out. You might be surprised what happens if you raise enough hell. We are not talking a few dollars here and the potential of some permanent damage.

That certainly puts a different slant on it. Thank you. I will do as you say. I will get back to you all once I have spoke to the dealer.
Ian

rguzz said:
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. I live in West Yorkshire. I know you haven't named the dealer, but was it the one in Shipley near Bradford ?

Nope I live in the west country but it's not the big one down here either. To be fair to the dealer I won't reveal who it is at this moment in time.
Ian

rguzz I'm not far from you and have mixed feelings about the dealer you mentioned, not that I've taken a bike there, but when I've called for oil and filters etc , the service has been piss poor mostly due to the blonde bint who doesn't seem to give a toss about customer relations

Hi jiltedjohn, took a griso out on test years ago, at said dealer. Was booked in, but had no idea who I was. Bike was not prepared, eventually broke down on test ride. Know of a few bikers who have had monstrous dealings with them, including very poor warranty claims.
I eventually bought my griso from Twiggers in Loughborough, and have had exceptional service at every level. Often stay at Travelodge there while servicing done.
Gutsibits in Slaithwaite, Huddersfield is also a good source for parts.

I've used Gutsibits , and find them good to deal with. There is another Guzzi dealer, the Rocket centre at Blackburn, who also sell other makes aswell.

Back