• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lithium battery

Guzziolsen

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have installed new battery on my Griso 1100, the battery weighs 1,287 kg, a weight saving of 4kg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 545
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 541
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 537
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 542
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 532
Now that is a nice battery. Just a few questions..
Was is very expensive and where did you get it?
I realy like it, it saves weight and i would have room for my disk-lock......
Wich would add the extra weight again :lol:

kampe said:
Now that is a nice battery. Just a few questions..
Was is very expensive and where did you get it?
I realy like it, it saves weight and i would have room for my disk-lock......
Wich would add the extra weight again :lol:
I gave $ 275 for the battery. I bought it at MC-IMPORTEN.DK. I think the battery is from a German company JMT. Battery motorcycle YTX20CH-FP JMT lithium ION battery. ;)

No doubt you can save weight with a Lithium battery, Shorai shows a savings of 3.63kg for the Griso.

I have used the Ballistic and Shorai on my Ducatis and Bimota. Many owners of those obsess over weight and I admit falling into that trap. From personal experience, I would not recommend these for most street users. If you race or do trackdays, maybe.

The main problem I have encountered--regardless of what the manufacturers say--is that these things HATE cold weather. I know the tricks of putting draw on the battery with headlights to heat it up before cranking but often worry about turning over the 1000 twin on my Bimota. And my bikes are always stored indoors in a relatively warm environment on battery tenders. You can use a standard battery tender but I also have a special Shorai charger and it makes no difference.

Parasitic draw may also cause some problems. The Ducatis with immobilizers were worse but the Bimota still drains the battery a bit and doesn't have one.

Make your own decision but if you want dependable starting power my suggestion would be a sealed gel cell.

Thanks for the quick reply Guzziolsen.
I'm stil not shure if i should get an lithium-ion or an Odessy battery wich worked fine on my Centouro.
Glad we can compare experiences here.
Thanks again

Kampe

I also had an Odyssey battery in my SP 1000, and was satisfied with this. The Odyssey battery that comes closest to the original in size, to a Griso, PC 310, but the polarity is wrong, therefore I chose to try lithium battery. Lithium battery was only $ 60 dyere than the original Yuasa battery. I will return with my experience about this.

Hello Guzziolsen,

I was wondering about your experience with the lithium battery. My lead acid is on it's way out and i have found a jmt dealer in Holland. Just wanted to know what you think of the lithium batt.

Regards

I have a shorai in my Bellagio, weighs 987g. I got the smallest body with the most grunt, as I had little room with mods to my bike.
Only nasty experience was I flattened it, didn't ride for 6 months but started bike often for others to hear. Took 2 days to charge back up and as I ride once at least every 4 weeks now, there has been no further issues. Shorai wanted me to use a bigger version than this 14A/h battery but it is fine. All modern Ducati's only use a 12A/h Yuasa (YT12B-BS)

Initially the batteries have a lot of resistance to accepting charge, as in your dash volt meter will read high. constantly 14.8 +, but over time it will come down.

Yes, Lith-I batteries require a special charger. This battery technology is getting quickly saturated by cheaper versions, which don't last. You get what you pay for. I stock, use and sell one of the best; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/antigravity-battery-bs12/ - I used to sell/use Shorai, but be sure to see the Shorai comparo link on the page above.
I recommend the Optimate 2 charger; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/optimate2-1amp-charger/ or the 5-amp version will revive most abused batteries; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/optimate-5-amp-charger/

I have the small Optimate 2. But any charger that doesn't do the heavy pulsing to de-sulphate a battery, should be safe.

Antigravity says their batteries hold charge for up to a year when not in use...is this something to be taken with a grain of salt? Because essentially that could eliminate the need for a charger.

WMLE Lithium tends to hold a higher voltage, as in a min of 13.2V but once it gets below 12.6V it can fall over very quickly from there.
If mine gets below 12.8 I put it on the Optimate for a day. I would keep a charger handy.

The other reason you may want a charger is many newer motorcycles, including the CARC Guzzi's, have fancy electronics that result in a small electrical load even when parked. So even a good battery will be discharged over time. You can pull the main fuse when storing and that may resolve that issue, but if you do not do so your fancy battery can be killed if left too long.

Antigravity says their batteries hold charge for up to a year when not in use...is this something to be taken with a grain of salt? Because essentially that could eliminate the need for a charger.
Depending on whether the bike has any parasitic drains (the V7 has next to none), might be the need for a charger. My Jackal, Griso, Husky 510 & Stelvio have been running AG batteries for well over a year, and they often sit for weeks on occasion; To date, I have never connected a charger to any of them, and they crank and start immediately with authority.

Depending on whether the bike has any parasitic drains (the V7 has next to none), might be the need for a charger. My Jackal, Griso, Husky 510 & Stelvio have been running AG batteries for well over a year, and they often sit for weeks on occasion; To date, I have never connected a charger to any of them, and they crank and start immediately with authority.

Right. I do notice that the start on my V7 isn't as immediate with the AG battery as with the OEM one. Sometimes it fires up instantly, and other times it cranks for a bit. That is probably to be expected, and plus the colder weather has that effect I'm sure...something you don't have to worry about.

For some weight and space savings, I've been using a Ballistic Evo2 Performance Battery - 16 Cell (Lithium Ferrous Phosphate) on my 1100 for a few seasons without too many issues. If the bike has been sitting for a long period of time, it may take a few cranks to get the battery energized but it eventually starts. I rarely trickle charge this battery; however, I know I should. As it's been said here, don't let this type of battery go completely dead, as it's unlikely to be resurrected.

Ballistic is now on the Evo3 line and the Evx30-24 seems to be recommended for cold riding climates. With 720 burst cranking amps, it should be fine in the cold but I can't see paying $400 for the benefits.

I hope the weather wil be clearing up soon so i can tetst this battery. I like the size, and the weight is unbelieveble. I got a special charger from the same comany that makes the battery so that should'nt give any problems.

Back