• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What did you do to your Moto Guzzi today?

Wednesday, I took a ride up the Nate Harrison Grade to Palomar. I kinda got into this deal accidentally. Some of the MEBC guys were going up that way. Some of the others were going up the South Grade. I was following a bunch of guys and when we got to Cole Harrison, all of them turned onto it. I didn't particularly want to ride on down to South grade by myself, and I'd never been up Cole Harrison, but I figured it couldn't be too bad, so I hung in there with them. It seemed like it was always climbing with some fairly steep sections combined with some very tight turns. then there were the washouts and potholes and loose dirt and gravel, and then the worst parts were long areas of stutter bumps. The poor old V7R suspension is way too stiff for those things! They were definitely rattling my teeth! The guy I was following stopped about a third of the way up after he'd dropped a ways behind the main group. He told me he as turning around. He did, but I figured I'd gotten this far, I may as well continue. I road a couple of more miles by myself, then caught the main group as they had stopped to take a breather. At least I had some company to finish the trek with! I ran off the road into one of te washouts and I had to reach into my way back machine to figure out how to get out of there. I haven't ridden any dirt stuff in probably 20 years , but 25 years of racing before that left me a little knowledge on how to do this. So before I screwed up and stopped , I just grabbed a big handful of throttle and blasted my ay out ot the ditch! The plan worked well. Certainly bolstered my confidence in being about to make the rest of the ride.After more miles of strutter bumps, we got into a semi paved area and the ride became easy after that. Sure made me wish I had my old Enfield up there though. It had a much more compliant suspension!
In retrospect the ride was fun, but I'm going to have to do some suspension work before I try that again!
Bare

Did a job the right way, as I should have done in the first place.
When I fixed the bearing in the CARC about a year ago I replaced the oetiker clamp that holds the larger end of the top rubber boot with a plastic cable tie. Pulled it real tight so it wouldn't leak. Pete Roper said it would, and as always, he was right. Replaced it with another cable tie, and it leaked again a couple of months later. So today, I spent £1.50 on the proper metal clamp from the local motor factors and fitted that.

Hi,

as you could read in the previous page, I was a bit busy with my G12.
Now, the standard oil cooler in the front of the engine.
A Breva 1100/1200 and a 1200 Sport 4v and 8v have a thicker oil cooler, I also have this version.
But I did like the look of the standard Griso oil cooler better as with the bigger cooler.
Now I want to know hot the oil will become during driving.
So I made a lowbudget oil temperature gauge on my G12.

13309468904_0bb3c038d7_c.jpg

The sensor

13309101165_3816a98b97_c.jpg

The "Stage 6" temperature gauge.

13310270514_6d4275d544_c.jpg

The gauge is quite precise.
This test is done in boiling water, a spare sensor in an electric water cooker.
This temperature gauge onto my G12 is only temperary, it goes of when I know it's okay.

Ad B

I took a little putt out to Todd's yesterday for a remap on the Racer. It seems to have worked out pretty. well. I don't notice any amazing power increase, but the throttle response is smoother and more linear. The time from startup to riding has reduced from several minutes to a few seconds. It still has a few popping problems. I had to split traffic just about all the way home about 50 miles of freeway, with all the commisarate rolling off and on of the throttle and instead of the poppity-pop-pop, Now it sounds more like an occasional gunshot! Well, it should awaken the cagers! Anyway it is more pleasant riding. It's one of those things like you don't know there's something wrong with until you fix it!
Bare

As I hadnt had the Mk V out for a run recently , the opportunity presented itself yesterday. I connected the Battery Charger , an "Optimate " , and left it overnight . In the morning , after Id checked the tyre pressures and oil level ,she fired up well , as it always does anyway .
The planned ride was only for 200k's . I launched into in the ride with great anticipation of fun to come . About half an hour later , I got tooth ache .
Here's a tip. STOP WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD, WHEN YOU GET TOOTH ACHE .
Oh no , I carried on , and on , until my right eye was streaming from the pain. Wow , what a distraction.
Today Im off to the dentist.
The Guzzi , she's as good as gold , never felt a thing , goes like hell , handles really good , and enjoyed the ride .
I'll be doing it again soon to compensate for the pain in the gob.
Regards Supaflee

Fitted a GT-Rx RCM exhaust to my 1200 Sport - rain, rain, go away, come back another day!

Update: 14/4/2014

Many test rides with the new muffler and now, ECU remapped ("own" map), dialled in and going like a rocket - more than happy with the GT-Rx muffler. Going like a rocket - got my first ticket ever on a motorbike - Mr Plod was "kind" and let me off with "20 over ticket" - I'll pay that, much much less than actual speed which would have been automatic suspension of licence for 6 months, on the spot!

Bike goes well - I'm very sedate now.

Whew,,, this started out a lot more innocently...

Finished my redo of the G5:

New:
Rings
U-joint
Shift shaft outter oring-seal
Clutch shaft outter o-ring seal
Transmission output shaft lock nut
Clutch intermediate plate
Clutch friction plates
Clutch pressure plate bolts and Schnur (really) washers
Rear drive inner seal
Rear drive outer seal
Rear drive output carrier bearing flange gaskets (sheesh)
Exhaust gaskets
Head gaskets
Cylinder base gaskets
Cylinder oil orings
Spark plugs and caps
High tension wires
Flat black saddle bags and all HW (hinges and draw latches, solid rivets etc)
Saddle bag mounting HW (original mounting bracket)
Replaced engine oil
Replaced trans oil
Replaced rear drive oil

Rebuilt:
Heads (removed super modified dual plug heads)
Honed cylinders

Replaced with original: (removed hot rod parts and put standard stock components in)
2 Coils and mounts
Distributor plate (Dyna III out, original points in)
Exhaust system (headers, crossover, mufflers)
Repainted windscreen lower portion

No longer blowing smoke… runs good.
Gunna put some miles on it and re-torque heads, adjust carbs tomorrow.

I hope this is ready… gunna drive it till I sell it.

Easter Monday whilst the sun was shining, I should have been out riding it! 36,000 mile service, air filter, 4 plugs, tappets, throttle balance, TPS reset, engine oil and filter, gearbox oil, carc oil. Discovered the brake pedal was coming loose and tightened it :eek: the bolt could have dropped out and I'd have lost it. Took it out for a quick spin and it's running like a Swiss watch :D .

Noticed the rear light had an LED out and two out on the brake, the lense had started to mist up and a closer look showed a small amount of water in it, bugger. The good news is I found a used one at Teo Lamers on the bay at a very nice price.

Rode it at night, discovered tail and plate light are intermittent, which really means it worked when I hit a big enough bump.

Played around and it felt like the wires into the back of the fuse box were loose. Sometimes it looked like there was a voltage drop as the lights dimmed, other times it was all lights out!
Got home and played some more and the real culprit was a 15a fuse was loose, as in the female terminals the fuse slips into didn't have a good enough grip. There were small witness marks on the fuse blades where it had been 'arcing'.

Tried to close up the female side of things but proved very difficult. Next option was to put a slight twist on the two blades of the fuse so they were out of alignment. Fuse plugs in nice and tight now.

Full brightness. :D

Dyno'd it today.

Had a lean spot off idle, really bad when cold plus cough fart pop and burp on the overrun. Took it to an unnamed mechanic some months ago to have my ECU re-flashed to bump the rev limiter to 8,800 and get rid of the lean spots. On pick-up was told all was done but I needed a new coil. This service was all offered for free, so now I have no grounds to complain.
New coil was installed and no difference, still fluffing and farting :(

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long, after the sweetness of cheap price. Lesson learnt.

Today I visited Fred at Pro-Cycle Dyno and I queried the PC-V wiring, left injector connected to PC but right injector was connected to stock ECU. WTF!

PC-V now wired correctly and new K&N installed with a full remap of both cylinders, by the way the rev limiter was still set at stock 8,300rpm.

Todd, I can report from my initial dyno runs with open air box and custom pipes 2 years ago, the addition of the K&N gained me 3hp and 3ft/lbs between 4,000 & 6,000rpm. When I figure how to load and send them, you'll get them.

Done fitting my new tires-- the BT45's. I decided to get them after hearing positive reviews and 4 wheel online gave me a good offer. So far, I like the grip and I feel confident on the road.

I have BT45s and they are just fine and dandy. I loved the Pirelli Angels too, but these give me more wet weather confidence. I have always been a fan of BTs on heavy bikes, used to use them exclusively on the FZR1000R.

I take my tyres out till the pegs touch, 90+mph round corners, never had a scare on BT45s.

I've just put another Michelin Pilot Road 4 on the rear, there was loads left on the last one, it had only done 3k miles. I was up in Bonny Scotland yesterday and picked up a puncture, I couldn't find what had caused it and Slime wouldn't fix it, turned out to be a 3cm slit hidden in one of the sipes, I must have picked up a Stanley blade or something similar. Got a 120 mile lift home in a breakdown truck and my wallet is £150 lighter for the new tyre.
Hey Ho.
The good news is I put down a deposit on a Ducati Monster S4R. The Italian collection grows.....
Breva 1100
Alfa Romeo 159 Ti
and now a Duc S4R (with a stubby Termi pipe)
:D
Heaven.

wondered if I was going to get any one of the three running enough to ride this year

Oh so true - ride, ride, ride - the true meaning of life.

Plenty of open spaces here too - room for everybody

just remember to keep on smiling alot when riding in australia... coz there is a shit load of cameras waiting to take your picture around the next corner,bush or bottom of a hill! fun fun fun

Back