• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is 7 years too long?

commando tod

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My original battery has lasted 7 years and is still going strong. But to be on the safe side, I`ve opted to buy a replacement.It`s always been connected to a trickle charger when not in use and has never let me down. But, and it`s a big BUT! How much longer could i have expected it to perform before letting me down when I need it most? And you always need it most, like when a shoelace snaps, just when you`re about to go out. :evil: :evil:
Whats the longest anyone here has kept an original battery? It`s not like these things wear out with mileage like tyres and bearings.

There's probably no definitive answer to your question, some batteries seem to last a long time and others don't, an optimate or other device certainly helps to prolong life. I'm up to 8 years on my Griso's and about 10 on my Buell. If it's niggling you then I would say replace it .

I've been posting this (as applies at least here in the States)... older batteries have higher allowable lead content, which means they last longer then anything newer of Lead-Acid/AGM versions. 10 years is a good running average for batteries that old or older. I'm moving over to the Lithium technology, and have found (and I personally use) a VERY solid US owned/built version here; http://guzzitech.com/store/product/415- ... pathway-11

I'd highly recommend a load test on your current battery before it strands you.

I am also offering AGMs which have a much shorter lifespan because of the notes above; http://guzzitech.com/store/category/11-electronics

Load testing is great, but only covers normal plate degradation. What you can't test for is sudden death syndrome. (and yes, even AGM batteries have the condition, just much less so)

This happens when lead particulates which have floated/broken off as part of the normal aging process pile up at the bottom of the battery, and eventually ground one of the plates by making contact with both the anode and cathode at the same time, shorting it and draining your battery internally. When it happens, a battery will go from being perfectly good to completely dead overnight, or even within hours depending on the amount of contact. This condition is undetectable until it happens because those particulates may be mere microinches from the plates at the time of load testing, but they aren't touching so the battery tests fine.

I personally would replace it to be on the safe side, but that being said you CAN bump start these bikes just so long as there's enough juice left to prime the fuel pump and boot the computer.

We have already spent good money on large, heavy and (relatively) slow bikes that get crappy mileage. Why pinch pennies? :side:

Got 6 years out of the original in a G11. When the voltage drops below a certain point (12v ?) I don't know. The ecu won't engage the starter, so push and jump it is!

Back