• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NTX 650...electronic ignition ?

On my 'splatt it looked like the earth wire was broken under the sealing epoxy on one of the boxes...hard to be conclusive that that was the problem as your dealing with stuff that was manufactured nearly thirty years ago.
The C 5 stuff does look good- keep us updated !

I'm still working with Peter Crowe on the C5 system. They haven't made one for the NTX before so he is working on the mounting plate for me at the moment. I'm pretty sure we'll get there in the end. Today I had a delivery of these:

UFO universal front mudguard
UFO vintage series hand guards (these are a great match for those I removed)
eBay universal silencer (it's supposed to be loud but it was cheap and matt black to match the rest....)
TEC shocks - cheap Asian items but the correct length and will do for the present.

Hey Chris,

Un question pour vous !
I finally got the bike on the road last night. After even just a brief test ride I have to concour with your opinion of the front brake on these NTXs ! Did you upgrade yours or did you improve it in some way ?

Mark.

That brake is absolutely atrocious 'head but that was the deal on enduro's of that era apparently.
Only one PO5 instead of the two on the road going smallblocs, 21" front wheel and of course the extra weight of a full 32 lt petrol tank...I've had a couple of very near misses in the brown pants dept early on in ownership and have spent quite a lot of time investigating the whole gig.
-Factory answer was to fit 4 piston caliper on the later bikes.I've never been able to confirm if this is a straight swap( I'm pretty sure it isn't) ...TLM in Holland did have some calipers but ridiculously expensive for 2nd hand...pretty sure is read that someone in Croatia (Zupi) has done it but I never got an answer back from my emails .
-Use two left hand lower legs so that you can then add the callipers and extra disc...you would also have to machine the lower in all likelyhood...extra disk...spindle...all can be got around but you'd need a good machinist.Probably pretty expensive anyhow as you also need a new master cylinder too...
-Adapt a later 4 pot slave off a breva say...needs a plate making up...new master too but not the end of the world.
I've got all the bits apart from the plate to do this plus a new 18" wheel complete with a larger floating disc.Off one of the V7 smallblocs if I remember correctly.I like the idea of a Super motard style bike with long range and that that would suite the roads around here and in Co Cork much better IMHO...as I have lowered the rear a bit due to my short legs It's a win there too.The only shortfall is getting the dosh to get this all fitted....
PM me with your landline and we can talk directly...
I'd also love to see photos of the ignition system....
Chris

Cagiva elephants of that era also have the 4 pot slave...expensive and rare though.

Just to back track a little, here is how the NTX was wired when I took ownership. Three batteries and some sort of DC/DC converter/booster were fitted to aid what I suspect was a weak spark. And a third Motoplat module was in there too....

These were all removed in due course and to cut a long story short here is the kit that Paul at C5 Performance made for me:

And here is the coil (it's two coils in one housing) that comes supplied with the kit:

Under the seat was the only place it would fit:

So basically it's a complete stand alone ignition system that C5 Performance supplies - coils, wires, caps and ignition unit. They must be used in conjunction with each other otherwise you risk frying the ignition unit apparently. Here's their website with a brief mention of my NTX:

http://www.c5ignitions.com/

The whole kit, including shipping to Ireland, came in at €393.

Also in the last few weeks, I got to fit the new UFO front mudguard, new 365mm rear shocks, gave the body work a good clean (cut the paint & wax) and got the saddle re-upholstered. I also fitted a new Bridgestone Trail Wing TW302 rear tyre to match the front (it previously had a squared off Pirelli). The rear indicators were previously contained in the pannier racks, which I have since removed as I think they are ugly without the panniers attached, so I fitted a generic pair of Oxford indicators which do not look too out of place (especially for €17 !

New shocks:

With Bridgestone TW302:

Almost back together:

Next, I need to change fluids and filters and the carbs need to be setup too. As they say in the movies, to be continued.....

I have to agree Chris - I never saw the likes of it. The bike ran but not very well at low idle. I suspect one of the original Motoplat modules gave trouble previously and it was wired this way to compensate. But it was far too overkill for me so it had to be changed.

very interesting read about your ntx ,once sorted your gonna love riding this bike .That front brake is a joke but you do learn to live with it :shock:

Thanks John !
Yeah, that front brake really is pretty lame......no doubt a few scares will be the norm !! Maybe
something from a more modern bike can be adapted to fit. Either way, I'll get some mileage
on it for now and decide later.

Any chance of a close up pic of that side stand, which must be a DIY job? I am interested in an NTX and the lack of side stand may be a killer for me as it must be an accident waiting to happen when mountin/dismounting due to the high seat.

Hi Mark,

I'll get a photo of the stand shortly. It was on the bike when I bought it and I am not quite short of the stand's origin.
I wonder if one from a V65TT would fit ?

If you could give me the length from the centre of the bolt to the end of stand that may help me tracking it down, or at least search for similar ones. A close up of how it is attached would be great also!
Thanks

Mark,

Sincere apologies for the delay. I had other stuff come up and only got back to this thread now. Do you still require pics of the side stand ?? I can upload some here this evening if you need them.
Is it an NTX 650 that you picked up as well ?

No, I only have the 350 but I believe they are pretty much identical to the 650.. Yes I would like the pics please.

Back