• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic tyre (tire) problems

horatiopugwash

Just got it firing!
Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2nd hand V7 Classic and loving it!

I have however noticed that it will climb all over white lines and other road repairs. The tyres on the bike are OE Metezler Lasertec and still have a reasonable tread depth. I have never used Lasertecs before and am a newcomer to MotoGuzzi, so a bit in the dark.

My other bike (completely different) is a BMW R1200GS on Bridgestone Battlewings......no problem at all.

My query is: is it the bike or the tyres?

I would be grateful for any advice.

All the best

Paul ( as you can tell from the spelling, in the UK. :) )

It could be a bit of both. Tire design can contribute to what you are experiencing. Also you are riding a lighter bike which is more easily influenced by road abnormalities. Also you are experiencing a difference between bias and radial tires. So my recommendation is to change the tires.

Paul,
What problem is it, I don't quite get your jargon?

I found the Metzlers to give an unsettled feeling on dirt roads or streets that aren't smooth. I've got new Bridgestone Battlax tires now, but haven't really ridden enough to give a report.

Generalising here but - Many (including myself) have found that you have to get the Metzlers really hot to get them to act like normal tyres. They feel a bit like bricks when cold. I moved to Michelin and no further worries - cold or hot

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies!

Excuse my jargon. To elaborate: when changing road position laterally and crossing either white lines or repairs, the front wheel followed by the rear tend to 'grab' the white line causing the bike to weave. Further positive input is then needed to complete the lane change and bring the bike away from the white line. Thus a steady smooth manoeuvre is not easy.

Most of my riding is between 50 and 100 miles on tarmac, so the tyres have time to warm up.

I have had a number of bikes in the past of similar weight and steering geometry to the V7, with no problems, but am new to Moto Guzzi and Metezlers, so good to get some advice.

Consensus of opinion is, " it's the tyres", which is reassuring.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Paul

I would also recommend Bridgestone Battlax tires. I switched from Metzeler to Bridgestone on my Kbike. I makes a big difference.

You didn't mention how old the bike (and hence OE tires) are - as I understand it, six years is considered to be about max. tire life regardless of how much tread remains -apparently the rubber hardens as it ages and this can cause handling problems. I am running Bridgestone Battleaxe on my 2007 Nevada Classic and am quite happy with them.

Lofty

The Metzelers are noted for feeling a bit unstable. The other tires V7s come with are Pirelli Sport Demons. Quite stable, very sticky, great tires. I love mine.
Bare

Thanks again for the further replies!

The bike and thus OE tyres are 2 years old, so not technically 'past it'.

Bridgestone Battleaxes seem to the popular choice, so.....

Best wishes

Paul :)

As the Devil's advocate, for me, the Bridgestones tires promote very slow steering. the shape of the tire controls that. I prefer Dunlops, Pirellis, Michelins, and Avons over the Bridgestones. I like very responsive handling personally.
Bare

You didn't mention your weight or how much weight you are carrying.
If our bike is undersprung, as most bikes are, you will have handling problems as well.
Also no mention of what tyre pressures your running.

Thanks for the interesting comment re suspension etc.

I only ride solo, without luggage and my 'all up weight' is 90kgs. The rear shocks are set at a 'half way' setting and the tyre pressures are, as the book suggests 2.2 bar, front and rear.

The handling problems are limited to my description in the opening thread, otherwise......no complaints.

Thanks again all!

Paul

horatiopugwash said:
Thanks for the interesting comment re suspension etc.

I only ride solo, without luggage and my 'all up weight' is 90kgs. The rear shocks are set at a 'half way' setting and the tyre pressures are, as the book suggests 2.2 bar, front and rear.

The handling problems are limited to my description in the opening thread, otherwise......no complaints.

Thanks again all!

Paul

I'd recommend 2.5 bar in the rear. I don't know of any bike that should run the same pressure front and rear. Looks like another error in a Guzzi manual.

The tendency of the Metzlers to follow road lines and other defects that run near parallel to the direction of travel is, in my opinion and experience, a long time known issue. Replacing the tires with better tires of newer design would resolve it. Adjusting suspension and/or tire air pressure may reduce it to acceptable levels for you.
As to running 2.5 bar in the rear tire, that is going from 32 psi to 36 psi. You may like that but you may not. I would not make that big of a jump in one go. I have seen/had bikes that ran the same pressure front and rear as well as bikes that actually ran lower pressure in the rear than in the front. I would use the factory numbers as a starting point and adjust from there to find what works best for you. How far you are willing to stray from the factory numbers is up to you. I generally would not go more than three or four psi (around 0.3 Bar) away from the factory numbers. But I would make any changes in 1 or 2 PSI (0.1 Bar or so) increments.

Take a look at a 750 Breva manual, the pressure I recommended is what is in that manual. These are similar bikes so they should have similar pressures.

Thanks again all for the useful info!!

As the tyres don't look in need of replacement, I will have a go at changing pressures, a little at a time.......see where that leads.

All the best

Paul

Hi again folks,

Just to round this one off and say thanks for the helpful suggestions......

I have changed the tyres for Avon Roadriders. Great, wet or dry! I've tried to reproduce the weave deliberately, but with no response.

I'm really enjoying the little bike:)

All the best

Paul

good the lazertech is world famous for the white lining and weaving, triumph bonnies fitted them for a short while, The sport demons are the bomb for tires this size. Track or street for bikes like this

Back