• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hose clamps

trippo62

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Ok. I'm stumped. I haven't had to bother with any serious tinkering with my Griso until now. I need to drain my fuel tank to suss the fuel pump. All good til I get to the hose clamps. Having not encountered this type of clamp before I'm reluctant to ham fist it off. Can any of you experts out there offer the method of removing this type of clamp? once removed can it be re-installed or are they disposable? I've attached a pic.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20140222_170736.jpg
    20140222_170736.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 712
I have been using that type of clamp a lot while working with milking robots. You are supposed to use a special type of pliers that you can turn one way to open the clamp and the other way to close it (it is reusable). I think you can open it with a small flat screwdriver, but i am not sure how to close it without the special tool. Maybe you can just replace it with another, more common type of clamp.

Removing that clamp won't drain the tank. It is on the pressure side of the system. If you run the pump dry you could damage it. Siphon out as much as you can. You will still have some fuel in the tank but since you have to invert the tank to get the pump out it isn't a problem.

Here's a link to a video that talks about installing and removing similar clamps.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=10529461001

Yours is a stepless design, whereas the one in the video is a two-ear design. It's still made by the same company and uses similar tools. It would seem that you are better served by using the fuel line quick disconnect that is already on the bike. Once you pull the fuel pump you will find the same kind of clamp is securing the fuel filter so the information in the video is going to be useful if you decide to replace that filter. Let's hope you do not have a swollen plastic fuel filter.

Peter Y.

These are known at Oetiker clamps (hopefully spelt correctly) and are generally available at any auto parts outlet

Hi Peter - thanks for that link to the Oetiker clamp - do you have any tips on releasing the QD fitting - I get the impression that it can be quite simple or an absolute PITA and if possible I'd prefer to go the easy way when I check the fuel filter on my 2007 Nevada.
Cheers

Lofty

Lofty1956 said:
Hi Peter - thanks for that link to the Oetiker clamp - do you have any tips on releasing the QD fitting - I get the impression that it can be quite simple or an absolute PITA and if possible I'd prefer to go the easy way when I check the fuel filter on my 2007 Nevada.
Cheers

Lofty

If you do a search on this forum, you find this

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic? ... %20removal

Five pages on how to hold your mouth :lol:

kiwi dave got it right....no matter what I have read, seen, or been told I still cringe when it comes to getting the quick disconnect apart. Last week I took my V7 tank off to replace the fuel filter. It only took a bit of wiggling, one or two harsh words, and a gentle tug to get the QD apart. On the Stelvio I usually use a pick to pluck the parts apart. When I tried to do the same on a Norge I thought I'd go crazy before it all came apart. Whatever you do, be very careful not to break the red spigot that comes out of the fuel pump base.

Peter Y.

Thanks Dave and Peter - I'm pleased to report that with your assistance and following the tips in the
thread you referred me to Dave, I have not only conquered the recalcitrant QD jigger but have removed pump assembly from the tank - just have to get an all metal filter and then - I think it might be like getting toothpaste back into the tube - put it back together - however, if it came out, it will definitely go back in!

Thanks again

Lofty

Lofty, it really helps to use a hair blow dryer to soften up the plastic hoses before you try to jam them onto the metal filter barbs. Be careful not to melt the plastic, just get it a bit softer (and, of course, don't forget you are dealing with gasoline...no flames!).

Peter Y.

Thanks to all for the info.

Have got my Griso running again. The filter feed had come off in the tank. Something rectified over 6 years ago. Maybe the topic for another thread. This fuel delivery system strikes me as a Friday afternoon design by the Mandello RnD team. Has anyone made it better ?

cheers

The issue with the fuel line Guzzi used to connect the pump to the filter has been covered at length and was the subject of a recall around here. The basic design was fine but the fuel line they used was apparently not suitable for immersion in fuel.
Mine I put back together with proper fuel line with the correct rating and then used safety wire to tie the sections together so as to prevent future separation.

IMO, the only "better" solution would be to take the filter from inside the tank, and move it outside. This minimizes internal failures by just using one rated fuel line and two connections, plus it would allow easier filter changes when needed. This, however, would require some hurdles with the rigid plastic fuel line and quick disconnects. All said, once fixed properly, ~5-6 years is about time for fuel filter replacement anyway. My $.02.

Stupid question, I have a leak from the hose to the top left head of the Griso .
Can this clamp be tightened or does it need to be replaced?
Can I replace it with a better/different clamp?
Could I start replacing the factory clamps with http://clamptool.com ? and wiring my own?

Thanks
Chris

Back