• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

new 2013 V7 Special owner - initial mods?

laverda1200

Just got it firing!
Hi all

initial introduction and first post. I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Got my first street bike in 1970, haven't been without at least one or more bikes since. I have various old Laverda triples, old Kawasaki's that I still have a hard time thinking of as "vintage" as I bought some of them new, and my daily rider and sport tourer is a 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 fitted with GIVI bags. I have also owned a number of other makes and models over the years, ranging from a Benelli 900 Sei, various bevel drive Ducati's, and a couple of Moto Guzzi's, etc., etc. etc.

my spouse of seven years has been riding a Kawasaki ZZR 250 Ninja last 5 years. I just today bought her a new left over 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special, in metallic red and white, still in the crate. Tried to buy her a 2014 V7Special in black with the orange flashes, but she hated the look of it, I loved it, but hey, it is her new bike, so red and white it is. I love the wire wheels, the light weight,the torque, and I think it will be a great next step for her. She is already referring to it as her "forever" bike..... ;)

I ordered the low gel seat, and the factory wind screen. I will be fitting heated grips and a power point for a heated vest,

I suspect the suspension could use a bit of upgrading. Would a set of Ikon shocks be a decent upgrade for a V7, or is there something better available (without breaking the bank)? What is available for a front fork upgrade, better springs, RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators?

the other issue riding around here during the riding season is dodging wildlife on the roads at night, and upgrading the lighting is high on the list. What is available for the V7 and what have others done to increase night time visibility?

any other functional or comfort mods worth looking at? Is a heavier set of bar end weights worth considering, like something from Manic Salamander maybe?

anyways, thanks in advance for any info or suggestions!

Paul
http://www.laverdaforum.com

Paul, welcome to the fold. It sounds like you already have a good feel for the suspension limitations. The forks can be improved with springs and emulators (Todd has them). Make sure you drill two extra holes in the emulators and cut the spacers to give the correct sag. I modified a socket to get a better purchase on the fork cap nuts (30mm?). As you look at the working end of a socket you will see that there is a slight bevel on the inside edge. That makes it easier to get the socket on a nut but it also means that the socket won't be able to grab the first 1/23" of the nut. I found that I was rounding off the corners of those soft aluminum cap nuts since I was using a 12 point socket. Switching to a 6 point with the bevel removed gave me a much tighter fit.

For the shocks, the OEM shocks are not satisfactory for my riding taste...just too harsh. I'm in the process of dialing in some aftermarket shocks, it's too soon to offer a final opinion. Right now I think they need to be re-valved but I want to put more miles on to be sure everything is broken in.

Rumor has it that this winter will end some day. When that time comes you will have a ball with the new bike..enjoy!

Peter Y.
mine is red/white too

pyoungbl said:
Paul, welcome to the fold. The forks can be improved with springs and emulators (Todd has them). For the shocks, the OEM shocks are not satisfactory for my riding taste...just too harsh.
Thanks Peter, and congrats and welcome Paul!
Depending on what your wife weighs and her desires/ability, you may not need to do anything with the suspension.
Stock components are designed for a rider in the 150-175 lb range with gear on. I'll continue to repeat that the stock suspension would only be considered harsh if you're above this range, as you are through most all of the usable travel just sitting on the bike.
You might be able to get away with fork springs and heavier oil in the front, though I also offer the emulators, and an all new drop in kit (no modifications necessary), Made in Italy, for $359. Peter has purchased the custom built RT's I offer in the Store; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-16 (the picture at the bottom is of his bike) - none of the made to order versions are cheap these days. Stock replacements, if you're lucky with their spring selection, can be on the most affordable side. I wouldn't consider them an upgrade, especially if they aren't spring and valved to order.
Welcome again, and feel free to write me direct with any questions.

Hi Peter, Todd, and BDCFE

thanks for the replies.

I have CRG adjustable levers on two of my old Laverda triples, and on my 08 ZX 14, and like them a lot. Pazzo levers are Canadian I gather, and significantly lower priced than the CRG stuff, great suggestion to add Pazzo adjustable levers to the shopping list for the 2013 V7 Special for my spouse. I just ordered a pair of the 12 ounce solid stainless steel bar end weights from Manic Salamander, they should reduce any grip vibrations, if not I'll go to the 17 ounce....... they really work well on the old Laverda triple paint shakers to quiet the bars, will be interesting to see how they work on the V7.

at the moment I am on the hunt for the best frame sliders, crash bars, engine guards for the V7, I checked the Spiegler site where I obtained all the LSL stuff for my ZX 14, they don't list any fitment at all for any Moto Guzzi's, bugger..... I unfortunately crash tested the LSL frame sliders on my ZX 14 at the local track when I low sided the bike, I was most impressed, no bike damage, and I just had to replace the sacrificial slider pad heads, I would have been thrilled to be able to mount the LSL design to the V7 but looks like I am out of luck...

Paul

I was going to say that on stock suspension it's been my experience that:

A. It's very personal and what sucks to one is just fine to another.

B. The women riders in my life (wife, SIL, friends) all seem much more satisfied with their stock suspensions than the some of the men riders. Whether that is because they don't ride as aggressively or because they weigh less, or both I cannot say.

So as a result I wouldn't bother making changes until she's put some miles on it and you've discussed it.

On the sliders I really like the unobtrusiveness of my Over Racing sliders. Granted because I was an early adopter I had to pay to have some adapters machined to make them large enough for the new motor.

But as coincidence would have it I corresponded directly with a CSR last December and they seemed aware and interested in my change so I suspect they have or will be shortly implementing a size change or adding an adapter to lengthen them. As a result, if you go that direction, I would probably contact them directly inquiring about it and buy from them directly if they will guarantee the adapters are included to save you possible hassle and money.

Instead of sliders I used headguards, a unique Guzzi feature that protects the bike by putting a bumper on the cylinder itself. I test mine last summer in a low speed tumble, and they worked great. https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=215&t=11926&hilit=headguards

As for heavier barends, I also looked for some, but in the end reached nirvana just by using a cheap cramp buster
to give my hand a break.

510-280_A.jpg

picked up the new Moto Guzzi V7 Special on Saturday, very pretty in wire wheels, two tone paint of metallic red (Rosso) and white.

can't figure out how to post a photo, will go and read the forum help function........ :shock:

Paul

Below where you enter text is a tab labeled "upload attachment". That is what you are looking for.

Is a heavier set of bar end weights worth considering, like something from Manic Salamander maybe?

I replaced my V&R bar ends weights with some CNC bar end Mirrors. The mirrors are very good and have no problem with vibrations. I feel very little if any vibration through the bars anyway. What vibration she might feel now will definitely tone down as the bike breaks in. the bike is very smooth after a couple of thousand miles.
Bare

winter is dragging on here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, has been snowing heavily here last week or so, and not likely to let up any time soon according to the weather forecasters.... Also still well below freezing out there, so my spouse Diane's brand new 2013 V7 Special is just sitting, unused, in the heated garage with my bikes.

long Canadian winters and heated garages often mean motorcycle projects, and I have a bunch of stuff on order for the V7 Special that have not arrived yet - titanium Agostini mufflers, lower gel seat, windscreen, and a bunch of small stuff to personalize it for Diane. However, I find myself staring at that rather naked looking front wire wheel with its lonely single disc brake....

has anyone fitted dual discs to a current generation V7 with wire wheels?

wild speculation, as it looks like Guzzi has not prepared the bike for dual front discs. On the V7 Special with the wire wheels it looks like it would require a new front hub from a wire wheeled bike set up for dual discs, as well as a fork leg swap, but this is the kind of speculation that occurs in late March when it is still snowing and the bikes are still stuck inside....... March has been so "blah" and cold and snowy this year I heard someone on the radio earlier today referring to this blah month of March as "Blarch"......works for me.

Paul

Yes, adding a second caliper/rotor would involve much work and expense (fork and wheel swap along with a new master cylinder). Best bet for increased brake performance would be to replace your master with the RCS16 and add the 4-pad caliper (click pics below for info on each - all available in the Store - use the drop down menus) - which I'm doing to my project V7R -- and if you really want to finish it with the best, add a new 5.5mm T-drive rotor/brake disk. Best investment you can make for the V7 as far as improving the brakes

Hi Todd

love the looks of the upgraded master cylinder, caliper, and brake disc......

when I brought the topic of better brakes up with my spouse Diane, I got told, again, to "leave my bike alone...." :lol:

however, the titanium Agostini slip on mufflers have arrived, as have a number of other bits I ordered, and she seems happy to see most of them....

March 31 and it is still bitterly cold and snowing heavily here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Diane still has not been able to even test ride her new bike. Bloody hell.....

Paul LeClair

That I remember from last year when I was in Airdrie AB. Decent riding weather didn't happen until beginning to mid may...even then the winds were annoying. Just remember, its been a bad winter for everybody.

Matt

so the bike is now dressed with its initial accessories for my spouse Diane

Agostini titanium slip on mufflers
lower gel seat
tank knee pads
Moto Guzzi windshield
Moto Guzzi tank badges
Moto Guzzi chrome crash bars
Moto Guzzi lower chin fairing for the engine
BMC air filter

and has been stripped of all the stupid "safety" stickers.

we also bought a Moto Guzzi "Racer" solo seat, but at least initially Diane is preferring the lower gel seat. The lower gel seat is too low for me, and I think the bike looks better with the "Racer" seat.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada has had its longest coldest winter in 70+ years, April 21 today and the weather person is still forecasting snow for later this week, bloody hell.

Diane got the bike out for her first ride yesterday, Easter Sunday, and was thrilled. I took it out myself only for a couple of miles, and was really impressed, gobs of torque, fairly smooth, suspension is going to need some attention but Diane is happy with it for now.

photo attached. The bike is a "left over" brand new from the crate 2013 V7 Special in red and white, the Moto Guzzi factory incentive discount of $1,200 for a non current model year was enough (almost) to pay for the various accessories.

Once Diane has some miles on the V7 we'll look at improving the suspension if it needs it, and a tank bag and some luggage. My own Kawasaki ZX 14 is fitted with large GIVI hard bags, Diane seems to think one of those GIVI bags is for her use, time to introduce her to the concept of carrying her own stuff....... :eek: :shock: ;) :)

Paul LeClair

Attachments

• V7 Special.jpg
    V7 Special.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 622
I am not near the bike at the moment to shoot any photos, but here is the link to where I got the chin fairing, only 25 bucks, and there are a couple of good photos there

af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=61399

Paul LeClair

Back