• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine upgrades

P

PP-1753

Guzzigo, probably you need to tell the others on this forum what you want to achieve riding wise: Do you track days? do you race? do you tour? Do you need to burn up the road in front of your mates?

All these are pertinent to the answers you will receive.

Personally I have no knowledge in this area

Yea hey tony, my end result basically is to get a quicker 50-120 mph time. My favorite thing to do is ride out and find some open road and open my bike all the way up. I don't know if it goes over 120 mph, and I dont really care to find out. But Id like to try and get up to speed faster.
Also, the race track is calling me. But only for solo lap times and having FUN in a safe place.

So anyhow, I've heard talk of hotter cams, and dual plugs, computer chips and such. The warning I got was, upgrade this engine a little bit for power and keep the reliability. Go too far and you'll have running issues and tuning problems.
Id just like to know which path to take for a performance upgrade cam. Some thing to boost the torque.
Perhaps I should just install a small nitrous boost. 10 or 20 lbs. I saw this unit that dispenses nitrous in relation to the throttle position. So no hard acceleration bumps.

The least costly method to gain the improvements you are looking for is to reduce weight. Yours and the bikes. Since you never really stated which bike you are trying to improve, I think your post may be in the wrong section as the CARC bikes are dual plugged to begin with. Tell us the bike. If it is the one pictured, money would be better spent purchasing a faster bike. I'd recommend staying away from nitrous. If you have a FI bike, talk to Todd about a PC unit to improve mapping before you go into engine mods. If it is a 1100 California, components form the 1100 Sport (cam, Carillo rods, pistons) would be the hot setup then have Todd program an ECU to fit the modifications.

John, I generally agree with you (CARC bikes are heavy and any performance mods will not be cost effective) but need to point out that the 8V bikes are single plugged...at least my '12 Stelvio is.

pyoungbl said:
John, I generally agree with you (CARC bikes are heavy and any performance mods will not be cost effective) but need to point out that the 8V bikes are single plugged...at least my '12 Stelvio is.

Good point. I don't work much on the 4 valve bikes. Forgot they were only single plug. Also I don't think dual plugging those heads would be very easy because of the valve arrangement and oil passages in the heads for cooling. BMW managed to do it on their 4 valve heads, but it was a factory modification.

4 Valve heads generally have a single plug in the centre of the combustion chamber, hence the flame spread is even across the chamber.

Our old 2 valve Guzzi's have a single plug at one edge of the chamber so a second plug on the other side can help with the burn rate and efficiency, the bigger the bore the greater the benefit over original set up.

4 valve head with twin plug?????????????? Must have very large bore (100mm +) or strict emission standards to meet.

But you guys already knew this ...................................

Ghezzi,

The 4 valve head BMWs are mapped very lean. When they had only one plug dead center they had a tendency to surge. Beginning with the 2004 model year, the 4 valve BMWs got the second plug and the surging went away.

Hi John,
When you consider that the 4 & 6 cylinder engine BMW's with 4 valve heads have a single central plug, must add credence to the theory the twins with bigger bore have issues regarding flame front/spread.

Regarding guzzigo's power quest. I thought a top end swap from a Le MansV or V11 etc would give the biggest boost, assuming his avatar is some cafe'd version of a T3 or Cali II.

Back