• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2nd CAM and TAPPET recall !!!

Hi Will,

I'd be interested in hearing Piaggio's reply. I too have an 8V Griso and would like to know how long they will honour their commitment.

Cheers

One more failure here - 2012 1200 Sport. Similar warning signs, it seems, that others have spotted - increased clatter from the left rocker cover and an occasional 'clunk' from the left head at cold startup. Performance also really tanked and the bike was reluctant to rev over 5k.

My bike's got just 5700 miles on it; I was getting it ready for the 6000 mile service. It does get ridden in the wet, for short rides and in low temperatures, though not exclusively so. If that reduces the lifetime of the motor then I can accept that but there are plenty of vehicles on UK roads that don't eat their cams every 6k miles.

A possible failure here, too. 2009 Stelvio 4v bought new March, 2010, with recall service done at Piaggio tech center in SoCal before purchase. Now, after 47300 miles there's a very noisy clatter from the left rocker cover, although (seat-of-the-pants) performance seems unaffected. Went to my dealer yesterday and asked for one of the techs to listen. He took the bike into the service bay and pulled the left cover. After he was done he said that one of the valves was sticking, and the cam could need to be replaced. Appointment is for October 10, and I was told I could ride home and ride it back for the service but nowhere else. I'll report what turns out when I find out :(

My 08 Griso has just had its fourth set of cams and followers installed at 22k miles. It now has roller followers installed, and I have my fingers crossed. Piaggio have said that they will continue to support the bike - in terms of cam gear- for a "reasonable period".

I use my Griso daily in all weathers. I think it would be bizarre if a modern motorcycle was only reliable in certain climates, or for certain lengths of journey.

I have owned many bikes over the years, but more Guzzis than anything else. One of the most reliable bikes I ever had was a LM3. The Griso 8v, is the most unreliable, by a long way. I think the most trouble free was a Triumph Speed Triple which I bought new in 05.

I had my third set of cams put in about 3 months ago. Now they are the new roller ones. It sounds much better and I hope they last. I asked the mechanic if he had come across any other cases and he gave me a funny look and said "todas". All of them. This is in Spain. It has taken years of grief to get this sorted out. The bike has been off the road for months with this cam business. To be honest I have never had so much trouble with a bike. What I don't understand is why it took so long to sort out.

My '12 Grisso is in workshop now having new kit installed,new cam and roller followers. 38000km. Also have the common dash service light/oil pressure warning issue that has us stumped. Have replaced sensor and checked oil pressures all good.

So what year 8V can be retro fitted with roller rockers?

A friend is looking at his first Guzzi, a 2009 Griso with 14,000 kms and asked about any problems.
I had to mention the cam recall and now he is getting cold feet. It has a good service history so we should be able to find out if recall work has been done but is fitting roller rockers the only sure fire fix.
Cheers.

Back