• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mike Bacon Crash and Burn

guzzibob

GT Reference
Just spoke to Mike Bacon today from his hospital bed, post his crash on Angeles Crest this last weekend. They are just about set to send him home. Apparently he was on the way up before Angeles Forest when he came across a section of road with all sorts of rocks & junk blown down/fallen from the hillside. While he was navigating this, more trash came falling down, including the rock that he failed to dodge, trashing his front wheel and putting him and his Triumph 675 on the ground. He may have gone over the bars, probably put his hands out to protect himself-and broke multiple bones in both hands, plus sounds like he got a concussion. He was with friends who got him to Huntington Memorial where the hand surgeon did his best to put him back together. Surgeon thinks he will get most but not all of his hand function back. Looks like Mike has a couple months of therapy in front of him. No word on the condition of the Triumph. Mike can't hold a phone-or anything else right now-so his time on the phone will be limited by how long Vicki is willing to hold it for him. He sounded in good spirits and cogent-though we'll see how he is when the nerve blocks/happy pills begin to wear off.

Gee, I was just riding with Mike on Friday. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll drop by his house later on to see him.

Ugh, thanks a ton for the post Bob. If you speak with him again, send him my best. Tell him I can be of help in therapy. I got pretty good at it a few years back.

Todd, I'll take any help I can get! First follow-up w/surgeon next Monday, when PT/OT plans are drawn. Until then I'm not to use hands at all :( - REALLY should've stayed home Sunday...

Very sorry to hear of your crash, Mike.

I'm keeping positive thoughts in my mind for your full and speedy recovery.

-Jack (now in Central Texas)

Nice to hear from you, Jack! I'm hoping like hell, and will work as hard as possible, to get back full use of my left hand back, otherwise I'll have to re-learn some slide guitar tunings (besides open G and open D) ;)

Wow Mike, really sorry to hear this news. Hope your recovery goes better than you expect. Wishing you the best.

Hi, Mike,
I hadn't heard of your little incident there until today due to a crashed computer and being out of town for awhile.
I'm late in sending my condolences, but they are heartfelt. I hope you bet well son and get back out there!
Best Wishes
Bare

Since it's been almost 4 weeks since this happened, here's an update:

Last week I got the insurance money for the totaled Street Triple R, and it's sitting in one of my bank accounts, just waiting for me to grab and get another one. Wednesday I was at my hand surgeon's office for my second follow-up visit. He removed the stitches above the wired-together 3rd & 4th metacarpals of my right hand and forgot to remove them from above my left hands index finger before re-splinting and wrapping it :roll: . He said I can drive now if I want, and I can get removable splints from the physical therapist I'll be seeing after the bones have healed. Got the new splints yesterday; they breathe much better than the ones I'd had on all this time, but I still can't get my right hand wet and for that reason can't take my own shower yet. I got a good look at my worst injury, to the left index finger. It's pretty ugly and will obviously take the most time to heal Also, I just might have to re-learn clutch operation. Besides the hands, I've started PT on my neck, which has been kind of stiff from the accident.

A BIG thanks to Richard Rodriguez, who has had my Stelvio since Wednesday and is giving it it's very-needed exercise. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna need one of those one-finger Brembo radial master cylinders on each handlebar. I know now that that bike will be an absolute BEAST to stop after I'm able to ride again; here's hoping I can pull THAT trigger beforehand!

And thanks to all who have posted; can't wait to be back in the saddle!

Mike,

I was so sorry to hear about your crash, I've really enjoyed following you around Visalia the last couple years and missed you this year.

Unfortunately I hit a deer on the way to work a month ago totaling my Stelvio. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, I just broke my left thumb and it's really hard to do simple things, though I can shower and even wipe.

Hope you heal up ok and get back to your life.

Keith

Mike, just catching your post... good to hear about the progress and good on you for your anxiousness to get back in the saddle. You, like I, find it to be the only way I can function in life. Keep on keeping' on.

Keith, OH NO man. That sucks. Heal fast! re you getting another?

Did insurance claim the bike already? I'm looking for another motor for a project.

Keith, hope your recovery is swift! I also hope you'll climb back on your (new?) bike soon. I've only been able to shower on my own for almost two weeks now, and that has helped my fingers to loosen up somewhat. On Monday morning I'm having surgery to remove wires in my right hand and left index finger, and will be able to start PT immediately after that. And I'm really hoping that, after 2 months or so of PT, I'll have the strength and flexibility to get back on my bikes. Which brings up this:

Todd, I see you're still a Brembo dealer. I don't think my left index finger will ever come back all the way; the Street Triple has a very easy clutch pull, but the Stelvio's is the opposite ;) Radial master cylinders for both left & right hands would really help a lot, and I'd much rather spend the money with you than with PI... Don't know how much time you'll have later this summer, but I know I'm gonna need these for the rest of my life on the Stelvio...

kmartin said:
Mike,

Unfortunately I hit a deer on the way to work a month ago totaling my Stelvio. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, I just broke my left thumb and it's really hard to do simple things, though I can shower and even wipe.

Keith

Damn, really sorry to hear about-but at the end of the day sounds like it is mostly just money, surely could have been a lot worse for you. Hope you will be replacing the Stelvio soon as the thumb recovers.

Mike, glad to hear things are coming along, albeit no doubt more slowly than you would like. Hopefully being able to start PT should speed things up some.

mohawkeye said:
Todd, I see you're still a Brembo dealer. I don't think my left index finger will ever come back all the way; the Street Triple has a very easy clutch pull, but the Stelvio's is the opposite ;) Radial master cylinders for both left & right hands would really help a lot, and I'd much rather spend the money with you than with PI... Don't know how much time you'll have later this summer, but I know I'm gonna need these for the rest of my life on the Stelvio...

Oy, well I hope not Mike, but yes I am, and happy to get you a set. I have the adapters needed to use the stock brake lines as well. Good to hear you're progressing (though never fast enough I know!).

Mike,
This broken thumb is easily the most trivial injury I've subjected myself too, and I find it the most annoying. I think it might be less resiliance as I get older. I'm afraid if I did both hands at once it could be my last motorcycle accident. Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with how you're doing.

Keith

Todd,

As much as I loved my Stelvio, life's short and motorcycles are many, so I think I'll be shopping the NTX against the new Caponord and the Multistrada. One of them will speak to me, I know the Guzzi does.

I kept the old bike and have no plans for the engine. The right valve cover has a small hole ground in it, otherwise it's in good shape. Let me know if you want it, I'll provide more details

Keith

Back