• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

oil leak

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
noticed some oil spots on my manifolds and saw that there was a tiny bit of oil on the cooling fins of my v7 stone. I just changed the oil and installed the sump extender. Maybe I put a little too much in there? It did shoot some into the air box which seems normal, but also the oil filter cover and some other spots around the crankcase had some oil residue. I basically put in 2.5L which the sump extender calls for, but perhaps a little too much. The oil leak from the cylinders has me worried though. I don't want to blow a gasket or something. Not sure what this could be and it just started after the oil change. Hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. Any insight is appreciated.

here's a photo of where it seems to be leaking, on both cylinders. right at the middle joint, and also some at the bottom of the last fin where it meets the engine. Could it be that both gaskets went bad or is it just a case of too much oil in the crankcase?

Attachments

• photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    687.5 KB · Views: 658
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 655
A couple questions: How many miles on the bike...and which bike exactly. If it's super low mileage, did you re-torque the heads yet?

It is not normal to pump oil into the air box so I'd guess that you over filled at least a little. From what I can see in the photos I don't think your oil leak is serious....but then, I'm not riding the bike so I don't know how much is blowing back all over you and the bike. Just that the photos don't show me much oil. Even a teaspoon of hot oil can make a mess at highway speed. I have a Roadcrafter that will attest to that fact!

Peter Y.

pyoungbl said:
A couple questions: How many miles on the bike...and which bike exactly. If it's super low mileage, did you re-torque the heads yet?

It is not normal to pump oil into the air box so I'd guess that you over filled at least a little. From what I can see in the photos I don't think your oil leak is serious....but then, I'm not riding the bike so I don't know how much is blowing back all over you and the bike. Just that the photos don't show me much oil. Even a teaspoon of hot oil can make a mess at highway speed. I have a Roadcrafter that will attest to that fact!

Peter Y.

Hey Peter,

It's a 2013 v7 Stone. Has about 3200 miles on it. Bought it brand new. I installed the sump extender when I did the the most recent oil change a couple months ago for the spring season. I basically just used the OEM recommended Agip Eni oil's container as my guide because it had measurements on the bottle. Perhaps I put "just that much" more into it than it needed. Not much blew into the air box, but then I noticed this leak from the fins. It is/was not much at all and it's not like there was oil going everywhere by any means. But, it did leave a few small splash marks on the exhaust manifolds which is what made me notice it. I just don't want to blow a gasket on the heads and have to deal with that crap. I feel like it's an overfill problem because both sides did it, which makes me think that it's not something initially faulty with the gaskets, etc.. Or perhaps it is just coincidence that they both needed to be addressed. One day you're more than excited about these machines and the next day you're a ball of anxiety and want to get rid of the stubborn sonofabitch! :)

And yes, the heads were re-torqued. I took it to the dealer for the 600 mile first service, when I had never worked on a bike before and had not yet researched or even belonged to this site for guide/info. I'm assuming the mechanic didn't overlook re-torquing the heads, although you never know...but it's a reputable place.

I would check the valve cover breather hoses, where they connect to the covers and at the airbox, along with the hoses themselves. Additionally, check the airbox drain connector on the left side under the side cover, especially since you recently removed the throttle body and likely unbolted/moved the airbox in the process.

makarushka said:
I would check the valve cover breather hoses, where they connect to the covers and at the airbox, along with the hoses themselves. Additionally, check the airbox drain connector on the left side under the side cover, especially since you recently removed the throttle body and likely unbolted/moved the airbox in the process.

I'll give those a look as well, thanks for the tip.

I think I seem to have found the problem. The oil breather hose where it leads out the crankcase seems to be kinked a little bit right where it joins the two hoses behind the starter motor, because I see oil residue right at that union that looks fresh.

I need a section of that oil breather pipe (hose) to replace it because it is kinked. Went to my dealer, they didn't have it (they didn't even look, assholes). AF1 racing sells it but I'm not sure which one to order because there is no picture and the language is ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure it's this:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/ ... duct=40809

It's a special oder item and it's $17, and it probably wouldn't get here for 2 weeks at least. There has to be somewhere locally to get some of this breather hose, which looks to be like 1/4in pvc. Any thoughts anyone?

Since you need to remove the hose anyway, take it to an auto parts shop and see if they can match it up. If that fails, find an old time hardware store (not the big chains) one of the guys there will probably do all that they can to match something up for you.

john zibell said:
Since you need to remove the hose anyway, take it to an auto parts shop and see if they can match it up. If that fails, find an old time hardware store (not the big chains) one of the guys there will probably do all that they can to match something up for you.

Thanks john, I'll have to look into that. I'm sure the dealer had some but they're known for being assholes. He was just like "oh no, uh uh nah don't have it." I could smell the lack of interest or care in his breadth.

Anyway, for now I tried to uncrimp it a bit and then I put a screw style fuel hose clamp on there somewhat snug to help keep the shape round. We'll see how that goes. In the meantime I'll look for it or just order it from AF1.

Has anyone else checked out their breather pipes? Seems like a bad spot to rout it just behind the starter motor. The starter motor must have been pressing against it and finally crimped it enough. Or maybe it just worked it's way into a bad spot. Just a thought.

ordered the breather pipe from apriliasuperstore.com per the same part number in the v7 manual. But, I don't think it's the right one. One end is a 90 and the other has a much wider opening/hole, and it doesn't seem as stiff/hard as the one on the bike. This hose is a bit more pliable. Doesn't feel as stiff either. The manual lists like 3 or 4 different sections of this breather pipe in the diagram but they're all the same part number so not sure whats up. I'm gonna keep looking I suppose, or try to go to a local shop that might have it.

if anyone has any info on this or an extra one, please chime in. It's the oil breather hose that is one of two under the 3 way union valve behind the starter motor. It's a stiff hose, can barely squeeze it together with my fingers. All the parts sites don't have pics and I don't want to spend another $20 getting the wrong one again. Any help is appreciated.

So I put a new breather tube that isn't the exact same thing but was close. Still getting a small leak at the join where the heads meet the cylinders. Could be a gasket or something I suppose. Probably gonna take it to the dealer. Thought it might still be overfill, but I don't think that's it.

francod123 said:
So I put a new breather tube that isn't the exact same thing but was close. Still getting a small leak at the join where the heads meet the cylinders. Could be a gasket or something I suppose. Probably gonna take it to the dealer. Thought it might still be overfill, but I don't think that's it.

Got it at the dealer now to replace gaskets, etc. Got a second leak at the final drive again on the way up?! That's the second time that will have to be replaced.

I think the oil leak at the heads though has something to do with removing the throttle body, because the TB sleeves are a bitch to get off and I bet it somehow made that head gasket joint loosen up or something, because it's quite odd that both sides would be weeping a little oil at the fins. So, keep an eye out if any of you have removed your throttle body.

Back