• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dellorto PHM 40 conversion to pull-push.

Supaflee

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My wrist is still aching from last weekend's ride on my 1993 Lemans Ultima Edizione V1000.
I love the bike , hate the throttle .
I've heard numerous comments about converting the carbs to Flat Tops , instead of the as produced "Crank" mechanism. Seriously , what is the reduction in wrist effort when this is done.
When I was searching through the "gutsibits" website I found there is also a rod available for inside the carb , instead of the internal cable, which fits between the crank and the slide .
mmmmmmmm this must mean that with some careful design of a pair of carb quadrants to accept twin cables , and using a pull push twist grip , I could run short cables to two splitters feeding respective carbs , for pulling and pushing . ( my jolly old 1941, 741B Indian has an awsome system , solid piano wire in a sheath )
I think the "only" spring requirement may for a lightweight spring on the top of each slide , just in case a cable busts.
Any thoughts on this modification from actual users is going to help me a lot .
Regards Supaflee

You might have stumbled onto some of Burt Munro's secrets there in UnZud, what with all then old Indian parts etc.

The only good part of EFI has been the light quick action throttle, much rather jets than a laptop for tuning.

Hya Ghezzi,
iI take your point regarding EFI . My TL 1000 is precisely that which you describe .

BUT , have you any info about the conversion to pull-push rods inside a Dellorto PHM40, or Flat Top conversion for my Lemans ?
I'll be in Brizzy sometome late this month , or early next month (depends on our temperatures ).
Maybe I'll shoot ya a PM .
Supaflee

Been a while since owning my last MKIII. If you don't get precise answers here in the mean time then call into Don Newell's at Deshon St Woolloongabba. Tommy should be able to assist. +61 (07) 3891-9565

Hi Supaflee

I went to flat tops, lighter return springs and I made cables from bicycle gear cable. This is a bit stiffer and can push (to a degree) on the carb. The cables are separates going into a Tomaselli 2C.

I have not had problems with the slides sticking. Some reported in the past that going to the weak return spring could result in the carb sticking open................ :shock:

I do have a kill switch (just in case) and the throttle is light, I hated that huge pull and all the aches associated with it, to me just so unecessary.

I also remember in the dim and distant past that there was an assembly available from Moto Spezial that ran both carbs of a single cable. Perhaps Guzziladen has this mod as he took over a lot of the Moto Spezial designs.

John

Hi Supaflee,

On my Mk V I kept the original control system. I removed the heavy external spring and rod. Internal to the carb, I removed the long sleeve and used V65 throttle springs. Much lighter and no closing issues.

john zibell said:
Hi Supaflee,

On my Mk V I kept the original control system. I removed the heavy external spring and rod. Internal to the carb, I removed the long sleeve and used V65 throttle springs. Much lighter and no closing issues.

I've done this mod as well with no ill effects.

Today I've ordered a heap of stuff from Gutsibits. Flat tops , springs , adjusters , rubber boots , fuel pumper pivot pins.
OJ , where did you get those little wheel encased 90 degree fittings for the top of you flat tops ?
Ghezzi , I rang this morning and left a message for Tommy to get back to me , he hasnt .
Thanks to all the help , you're good buggaz!!
Supaflee

My experience with a Mk V (which extended to over 170,000 Km) included many attempts to reduce the throttle effort required. The results were usually either no or little reduction in effort or the carburettor slides would hold up under deceleration (throttle closed, but engine still under power), ie not enough spring pressure to overcome the vacuum in the inlet tracts.
Subsequently, I changed the camshaft to modified profile that had increased lift and duration, in particular more overlap between exhaust and inlet. This resulted in considerably less vacuum on over-run and resulted in a considerable reduction in the required return spring. I ended up with standard dellorto internal springs, with several loops removed, but retained the OEM bellcrank. A quarter turn Tommaselli throttle was then fitted, which still required less effort than the original OEM one.

Supaflee

The 90 degree bearing wheels for the carb tops were Moto Spezial items. These are available through Guzziladen.

However these are small and won't take standard 1.5mm cable. I think the bicycle cable I'm running is about 1.25mm and that was the reason I made the change to bicycle gear cable.

http://www.radicalguzzi.com/onlines...lenkungen-wellen-synchronsteuerung-gasgriffe/

It was a lot easier to make the cable than I envisaged at first, the cables came with an end that I ground down and fitted into the carb slides so the only soldering was the nipples at the throttles. With the 2C throttles I purchased these items from a bicycle shop that fitted quite neatly into the 2C outer openings

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/artic...ml?shop_param=cid=3029&aid=BSDCLFX1-BSDCLFX1&

John

Renovating an 80 Le Mans II. I've fitted lightweight springs, removed the external lever springs and fitted Venhill low friction cables.

I've had confirmation of my my order of bits and pieces from Guy ,at "Gutsibits" UK .
I was also able to order a new airbox breather , drain tube , yep , the one underneath that literally falls to bits in little pieces when you touch it . Thats the one .
I'll post again when I've got the bits and modded my cables to suit.
I've gotta say , even at this stage though , if this isnt successful , Im not going to mess around anymore . I'll be inserting rods inside the crank top's , and machining a pair of pull push quadrants for the cables , and a suitable pull push twistgrip.!!
I love the bike ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just hate with a passion the throttle.
Regards Supaflee

Back