• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Alpina Spokes a death wish?

Call me an idiot but......
photo.php

Hi beezer,
sorry to hear about your troubles, but thanks for sharing. A reminder to us all to take care and an opportunity for us to learn from other's misfortune. I'm not impressed with the mechanic's incompetence and failed duty of care with the dodgy access.
Surely you must be tempted by the latest Stelvio, with revised valve train and dare I say it, cast wheels.

Cheers,
Mark.

Well I ended up picking up another new '09 that I found in stock down at the Georgia dealer (European Motosports). Bought a couple of $100 tickets to Atlanta, flew down there and road the bike home.
But what is of interest is when I put my first new tire on that bike, I decided not to mount it until I let it sit over night. You guessed it, the next morning the tire pressure was down! It turns out the little serrations on the inside of the rim, make it tricky to get a good seal. I took it back to the shop and after two more tries, he ended up having to goop it up with a little vulcanizing compound to get an airtight seal on the rim.
I am convinced now that that that is probably what happened the first time. The problem with motorcycle tires, and the reason you need to check pressures frequently is that the carcasses are very stiff. Unlike a car, an under inflated bike tire is not obvious either when looking at it, and even while riding it. Off course once you run on a low tire a high speed for a few miles, it overheats and now is very likely to blow out.
Finding competent people to do work on bikes is a challenge.
Dealer #1 - Never checked for leaks after mounting the tire and didn't have a good seal on the bead
Dealer #2 - Never pumped up the rear brake or test road the bike after removing the wheel and replacing the tire.
Dealer #3 - Never checked the tire for leaks and didn't get a good seal on the bead either.
And I had another experience with yet another dealer with my next tire. He would never admit to what happened but somehow the wheel had slipped off the machine when he did the installation. There where scraps, not little nicks, all along the rim and a brake rotor was bent! I am not litigious, and just move on when these things happen, but the incompetence is amazing. On the other hand, it is clearly fairly easy not to get a good seal on the Stelvio when installing a new tire apparently due to the serrations on the inside of the rim. BEWARE! The good news is, the Alpina spokes do not seem to be the culprit, though after these experiences, I still don't like the idea.

Back