• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil change

rhip

Just got it firing!
I'm due for my first. I've tried to search the forum, but what size is he stupid nut that holds the dipstick? When I put it back on, I hope it doesn't need to be tightened too hard - if I want to add oil, I shouldn't need a socket, extender and ratchet to do so. Will a strap wrench work to remove the oil filter? Thanks!

If you're going to check your valve clearance, refill the bike with oil while you have one of the valve covers off. If not, I simply roll a piece of paper into a funnel and stick it into the dip stick hole rather than remove the plastic nut.

No, the oil filter is recessed. You will need the proper size socket to fit the filter housing.

For the filter use either the UFI 14 flute filter or the Bosch 3330. If you decide to use the Bosch 3330, the oil filter wrench that BMW motorcycle dealers sell for the 1100 and 1150 bikes is a perfect fit. Bosch makes the filter for BMW. Also you can use the BMW filter, it is the 3330 with a different paint job for BMW. I prefer to use grease on the oil seal, and torque the filter to 15 Nm, and no tighter than that or it will be difficult to remove.

On the Stelvio there is a plastic sleeve to mate the threaded opening on the block to the dip stick. It's pretty easy to use a small crescent wrench to take this sleeve out of the block so you can get a real funnel in there and add oil. I made a 'wrench' out of 1/4" aluminum stock for the odd occasion I might want to add oil while on a trip. The plastic sleeve need not be torqued down much more than finger tight.

Thanks to all of you for replying. I have about 35 metric wrenches and sockets, but none fit this nylon nut. Without going the crescent wrench route, doe anyone know the size of the nut in MM so I can get the appropriate socket?

25mm. Strongly recommend you grind the business end of your socket flat since that nylon nut has fairly narrow flats.

Just did my third oil/filter service last night. Sorry about the bad pic. Oil filter # is HF551. Hold the socket square with the block and use a short extension. Go easy on tightening plastic insert. I use an inch pound torque wrench for all plugs and filter. The filter wrench is from AutoZone. Spec for the HiFlow filter is printed on it.

Thanks again, guys - but I did notice that one of you is using a 25 MM socket, and the other in the photo is a 26 MM.

One of the more intelligent posters mentioned forgoing messing with the nut. He's a smart guy, you should heed his advise.

rhip said:
Thanks again, guys - but I did notice that one of you is using a 25 MM socket, and the other in the photo is a 26 MM.

You are not talking a lot of torque. It has a rubber o-ring on it so does not need to be very tight. Both will work. I use a 1" deep socket and it has enough grab to take it on an off with no issues. If you want to try and fill it without removing the plug then go for it. The first time you spill it all over the bike or you find it is taking you forever to get it in you may give that decision a second thought.

Don't over think this. If you could get to it with your hands that would work. Think of it as a normal filler cap on a wet clutch. You don't use a wrench to tighten that....... No difference....just has a hole in it for a dipstick

During the oil change should you un-do the hose from the oil cooler to drain oil from there as well. Or does that just drain back down into the sump?

If you're going to check your valve clearance, refill the bike with oil while you have one of the valve covers off. If not, I simply roll a piece of paper into a funnel and stick it into the dip stick hole rather than remove the plastic nut.

No, the oil filter is recessed. You will need the proper size socket to fit the filter housing.

You need to change oil on a warm engine, and check valves on a cold engine-see workshop manual. From what a Guzzi mechanic told me, cold means not having run for several hours. Just did my 1,000 mile service and did the valves in the morning before any engine starting.

I pull the drain plug and filter on the warm engine then let it sit at least overnight and do the valves the next day or so. I have drained the oil on cold engines this easy also. At most a little film will stay inside. The big advantages I see with a warm engine is quicker drain and any heavier solids will still be suspended in the oil. If it is changed often there should not be much of that depending on your riding conditions.

During the oil change should you un-do the hose from the oil cooler to drain oil from there as well. Or does that just drain back down into the sump?
NO!!! don't break this joint unless you have to you will be buying an oil cooler sooner or later probably sooner....it will drain sufficiently do it warm ditto for tranny, and final

the cooler is a decent one but they are a bit delicate at the joints... the hoses are best not flexed and bent for no reason either that is when the leaks start at the banjo fittings

Back