• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What was your best bargain?

ghezzi

High Miler
GT Contributor
I know its not a Guzzi but;
Got a phone call Saturday afternoon from a client, cut the old chain off his Ducati with a hacksaw and new chain was too long. Flying overseas 6am Monday. Could I pick up his bike NOW! ... then deliver it to any bike shop Monday? I offered to fix his chain but no power tools are allowed in his apartment block, so I offered to take it to my shed and return it later when fixed.

Anyhow my mate John who has been bikeless and skint for a few years came along for the ride. On the way over he just happens to mention the cheapest Ducati he can afford is usually long in the tooth for his $3500 budget. We find the 2001 ST2 Ducati with 12,800km on the clock, Wilbers top model shock, rad guard, panniers and rack and a custom horizontal twin headlight worth AUD$1000. The reason for the new chain & sprockets was a gearing change, not wear and tear. Bike had been serviced by trusted mechanic whom we know very well ..................... its in absolute schmick condition.

Now John has been searching high and wide for a replacement Ducati for a long time, most bikes of this vintage will have 60k plus and still be asking $5K to $9K, we are talking Australia here. Out of the blue the owner says he will sell it when he gets back from his trip. John asks in a disinterested fashion "How Much" knowing its out of his league.
Owner says: $3500.
John: :eek: "How much".
Owner: Three and a half.
John: :shock: "How much"

So I missed out on a paying job, however, I did get to see a mate with the biggest cheasiest grin he's had since wrecking his last bike 2 years ago.

Took it home, fitted the chain, pumped up the tyres and rang the mechanic. He is so insanely jealous of the buy and knowing the bike said it would sell here at twice the price, everyday of the week!

Test ridden ................ 1 clutch slave seal and she's all bells and whistles.

IF ANYBODY FINDS AN IMMACULATE MKIII Le Mans FOR 3Grand, PLEASE CALL ME!

My '69 Ambo....got it in 1992 in running condition with a trailer for $500....sold the trailer to a Gold Wing ridiing friend for $100....the Ambo just needed a tune-up....has always run well......

Donating money to this site.
The resources here are worth anything you can give.
I saved hundreds of hours and dollars with the tech info here and provided by Todd.

Totally agree. When given the option of having to buy a years sub to Moto Guzzi Club GB to access tech info, or donating here as a courtesy for the same, I gladly came here and donated.

I am totally grateful to Todd, John Zibell, Brian UK et al for all the advice they give.

---
Outside that, I got a decent running Yamaha RXS100N for £100 as a stolen recovered many years ago. It had been painted with bitumen, but a clean and repaint sorted it, and that bike did me well for a long time. Also, got a Micron can for it for £30, and a complete replacement engine for £25 after I blew up the original. Bargain bike, I was sad to let it go really.

Best Bargain? A 'take it away' Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada.
It had been dumped at low speed but still ran like a clock. Sitting in a guy's garage since he bought a LeMans.
I wasted the bike by turning it into a 'Cafe' (I was younger) then rode it for the higher part of 20k km.
In the end I gave it to a young guy want his first bike (goes around comes around).
Funny part was: I could park alongside a street full of Milwaukee Iron and the Morini would be the starlet.
If one ever drops back into my lap... :)

A friend fixed some carbs on another guy's CB750 Honda. When done he was asked if he knew anybody interested in a 1972 Zundapp 125 enduro. He told me and I went to look with $600 in my pocket. It was all there and minimal rust. I asked how much and he said he needed at least $100. Told my friend to get it in my truck before he changes his mind. Got it running with new points and minor stuff so put a little over $100 into it. Saw used parts were selling for a lot on eBay and while it ran great I really had no use and didn't like the exhaust against my shin. Put it on eBay and away it went for $2,700 about 2 months after buying it. My friend informed me I owed him dinner and beer.

The Gemini SST minibike I bought July 6th this year for $50 and sold July 11th for $350 was pretty good too. Another friend saw it and had to have it. Normally I buy motorcycles to throw away what must be extra money I thought I had.

Back