• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aux Fuel Tank Questions

nose2wind

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does anyone on this site have one or know someone who is familiar with how they are supposed to work and or wire up. I have one and it is having problems.

Thanks

Bruce Lawson has an aux tank fitted on his '09 Stelvio. He posts here and at Wild Guzzi. brlawson

Peter Y.

brlawson said:
What kind of problems?

Thanks for the reply: I have the bike used so no info on how the tank is wired etc.

It has worked on occasion other times not. I have had it work, and then start causing the bike to stutter, jump, cut etc. as if it is pumping some fuel and then not. Soon as I switch back to main tank bike runs fine. I have a variety of indicator light patterns. Red. Red flashing with green on too. etc.
I did a little research and found that it has a host of safety features that could be the cause of my issues. Or not!

1st It is my understanding that the pump will not start if the main tank is not below a certain level.
I thought this might be my problem, but I tried a little experiment. I waited till well past the low fuel light and still no luck. I even siphoned all the fuel out of the tank added some back and started the bike. I have a green light but as soon as I switch to Aux it quits. I'm starting to suspect the pump. Would like to try and eliminate the pump as the problem. You might be able to help me here. If I turn the key on I Aux off. I get the usual noises main pump pressures up etc. If I key on with the aux switched on, usual sounds minus the main pump pressuring up. No sound from the aux pump pressuring up. The bike won't start due to no fuel. This is with the main tank only with about 1/2 gal of fuel.

I would like to try bypassing all the b.s. and try running the pump but don't know which wires to connect direct to battery.

Any thoughts?
Suggestion welcome...

update:

Your gonna think I'm nuts, but I was experimenting with the aux tank some more. I needed to ride the bike tomorrow and decided to siphon some gas out of the aux tank and see what happened. I started out pouring some gas from the container I previously siphoned gas from and decided to start the bike and try the aux tank switch. No go, I tried listening for the pump on power up and cant hear the pump. I pull the cap and siphon some gas from the aux tank still nothing. Mostly getting a solid red and green LED. I siphon more gas and put this gas into the main tank. The main tank is no longer on reserve, try again and the bike starts running on aux. Still red or flash red then solid red and green on the LED. I switch off bike but leave aux switch in the on position. This time when I turn the key on (aux gas cap off) I can hear the pump power up loud and clear. Start bike in the aux on position and runs fine.

Not sure where this leaves me? :silly:

Any suggestions?

I assume you have bought the Stucchi piece of crap? Mine was bought in 2010 and I hear they have been refined since then but it looks like the electrics are still junk.
After mine started dumping fuel into a full tank or whenever it felt like it I started again.

Assuming it hasn't changed too much;-
Take all the Stucchi wiring bits off and connect up the electrics as was.
Buy an on/off switch and a 12v relay from your local Maplins or similar
Use the Stucchi fused supply to run power to the relay via the on/off switch (mount where convenient)
Connect the pump wires to the relay
Use the float switch wires from the tank to dictate when the switch is in the on position that the power is cut once the tank empties.

When the reserve light comes on turn your switch on, don't worry about running the pump on a dry tank as when the level goes below the float switch level it will turn the pump off regardless of the on/off switch position.

Finally don't leave the switch on and refill the tanks as the reverse will happen! :whistle:
Have fun
Ray

I think since you have a green light that the float is working ok. Depending on when the tank was purchased it could have one of two different harness assemblies. The original harness had problems with wires pulling out of the connector. I would check all connections first for integrity and use a meter to make sure your getting 12 volts. After that I would pull the pump which is easy enough and verify internal connections.

A link to Wildguzzi telling the story of tribulation among the first owners of the product:
wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=50309.80

DSC00698-M.jpg

Thanks,

What is odd is that it seems to work better when the aux is lower on fuel. I also get a red and green light at the same time.

How are the lights supposed to work?

I have a blue, yellow, black wire coming from the pump. This all leads behind the battery and then not sure. I haven't had a chance to trace where all this goes and how it connects and to what. Do you have any form of instructions on how it all connects?

I see where the pumps goes into the tank. How do those connectors work, (fuel) Mainly. How does the pump pull out. Does it twist (un-screw) ?
I think it may be float related because it seems to effect operation when the tank is full more so than when low. I also believe it works better up hill if that makes any sense.
I will try all the connectors, but I like the idea of direct wiring also, assuming the float is working properly.

I will try to find out what year it is.

Thanks, for all the help. It really is a nice feature If I can get to work properly..

Thanks for the link, that explains much. I do know my switch is upside down on the handle bars. The red LED is on top and green at the bottom. This never made sense to me. So green light indicates full tank or operating aux. Red is empty? Is that correct? Of course mine red and green come on together, but I guess this could happen when it is operational and running low. Is the red LED supposed to flash ever?

Are most of these electrical connectors under the tank?

Luckily I have no over flow problems.

This I have by way of a used 2009 Stelvio purchase. Is this how you have yours wired? In this setup do both pumps run when on the Aux tank?

Ray1150 said:
I assume you have bought the Stucchi piece of crap? Mine was bought in 2010 and I hear they have been refined since then but it looks like the electrics are still junk.
After mine started dumping fuel into a full tank or whenever it felt like it I started again.

Assuming it hasn't changed too much;-
Take all the Stucchi wiring bits off and connect up the electrics as was.
Buy an on/off switch and a 12v relay from your local Maplins or similar
Use the Stucchi fused supply to run power to the relay via the on/off switch (mount where convenient)
Connect the pump wires to the relay
Use the float switch wires from the tank to dictate when the switch is in the on position that the power is cut once the tank empties.

When the reserve light comes on turn your switch on, don't worry about running the pump on a dry tank as when the level goes below the float switch level it will turn the pump off regardless of the on/off switch position.

Finally don't leave the switch on and refill the tanks as the reverse will happen! :whistle:
Have fun
Ray

Mine feeds from the aux tank into the main tank.
Assuming yours is the same yes until the aux tank has emptied into the main tank both pumps will run.
The aux tank pump will be turned off by the float switch.
Sorry mine is away having the top end replaced under warrantee otherwise I'd send some pix.

Did a trip this weekend and it worked pretty much as advertised. I let it get to 1 bar on the main gage and that seemed to be enough for it to kick on. I get a variety of lights sometimes red and green together which doesn't make sense to me, but it worked so the lights don't matter too much. I'm going to look for some obvious wiring issues (loose connections) Then work from there. If I had to point to something, I would suspect the fuel level sender as part of the problem. Will see. If I can't get it working consistently I will look into using it as a pump into the main tank. Thanks...

Waking up a sleepy thread here...

I own a 2011 "small tank" Stelvio and find it very annoying to look for a gas station every 100 miles or so. After reading all of the posts in this thread and in other forums I'm really on the fence here. I got my Stelvio really cheap, so upgrading to an NTX won't be a huge stretch. However, I really like my Stelvio and the improvements I made to it. If I spend the $800 for the stucchi luigi aux tank and it works, then I am going to be very happy with it. Well, at least until the new water-cooled Stelvios come out...

Can any of you owning the stucchi luigi aux-tank share a quick follow-up?

Thanks!

I have been running the tank for some time and love the extended capability it provides. The only real issue they had were the one way flow valves not sealing completely. In my case, when running on the tank itself, it lets fuel slowly leak back into the main tank. So, I let the main tank run until it gets to the last mark or beyond on the indicator and then run the aux until it empties and then switch back to the main. Not a perfect scenario but it is worth it to me to have a 250 mile range.

Stucchi replaced enough of these lines with other customers that this problem may be resolved. $800 may seem expensive to some but the product is well made and I like the idea of having some redundancy when it comes to electric fuel pumps. In the end, it is worth whatever issues you may have to overcome.

This is good information brlawson - thanks!
From what you are saying here I gather that the aux gas tank actually works as an Independent tank with its own pump, so in case the main tank's fuel pump fails you can run on the aux tank only- This is pretty cool. I was under the impression that the aux tank pumps the gas into the main tank only. I like the redundancy aspect here, so it is another good reason to get it - thanks!

Back