• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Potential Guzzisti--Please advise--

uzidzit

Cruisin' Guzzisti
well mine is one of the first ntx to hit usa 12 flat tappet, and aside from a dealer induced failure( they made a mistake with the setup) it has never left me stranded, or really even given any issues. They did warranty my rear wheel for a few leaking spokes but this was due to improper torque of the nipples during assembly.( I actually had it solved by the time the new wheel came by loosening / truing ) and correctly torquing the nipples according to the spec I got from alpina. The new wheel was torqued accoding to alpinas numbers and tighter than the original had been at delivery.

the valves take 30 min to do. and the fluids about an hour to change.

The more time I ride it the more I like it, now at 22,000mi

ps my valves have changed during the first 6,000mi ( I set them every 2k) but since then 1 intake has opened up about .001 at 15,000mi, and 1 ex got .001 tight at 15,000mi. I still check every 4kmi but have actually only seen a "need to adjust" once since 6,000. And I run the fuck out of the big girl

ps my break in was to pick up bike in Ga, run the first 4 gears all the way up to the 7k mark and full engine brake back back down in the twisty mtn roads for 60 miles (change oil in engine) then ride it full load and engine brake in the mtns. for the next 700mi do the first service and just ride it like a sport bike from there on out... and it has never used a drop of oil between changes

Oh my this is a slippery slope. I worked 20 years at a Honda dealership riding all Japanese street motorcycles and in the ensuing 14 years continued the same way. Then I bought my first European street bike a 2007 Norge. Fell in love with it but the little problems like warped brake rotors (warranty), air in the rear brake line repeatedly was only fixed after I bought a used abs unit after the warranty was up. Guzzi insisted the abs unit was not the problem. The final drive seal that leaked twice till I fixed it instead of a dealer. Several other minor problems added up and after 3+ years and 26,000 miles I sold it to a guy in NZ who rode it for a month in the U. S. then shipped it home where he has had almost no problems with it. I guess I fixed it. I bought that stalwart of reliability a BMW R1200GS because I determined European bikes just had something I liked. Well the BMW didn't and 9 months and 7,500 miles later it was history. I did like the adventure bike concept though so I bought a Suzuki 650 V-Strom Adventure and I like it. Something was missing though and I longed for another Guzzi. The lady friend complained about the passenger accommodations on the Suzuki and while the 1998 PC800 is still a good bike I wanted abs and it was an excuse so now I have another Guzzi a 2014 California Touring. So far 3,700 miles and no problems. Leaky saddlebags don't count plus I think I have them fixed. I would have a Stelvio but a 28" inseam says no.
I do most of my own work but when it needs programmed off to the shop it goes. Of course warranty work goes there also.

Get a Guzzi and it will change your thinking. Plus you will meet a great bunch of characters if you go to any meeting.

Go for the Stelvio. I bought mine new in early '09. I would have more than the 25k miles I've done on it had it not had the engine out twice (Main bearing, then, later, main oil seal both just out of warranty, tho' Guzzi gave me the bearing...) Considering the problems Beemers have, and the servicing implications of the other adventure bikes, and the fact that I know of several other Stelvio's that have had minimal trouble, I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Stelvio to anyone. It's done 15,000 since the last major fault, including a tour over the Alps to San Marino last year without missing a beat.

It's just so unique to ride. Great handling, great sound, character-full engine, great road presence, rare as hen's teeth here in the UK. Powerful enough, if I don't chase my friends' Hayabusas and MultiStradas. Good mileage on a long run, all-day comfortable, ...I could go on.

I used to ride and work on oriental bikes.
I then got a Guzzi, and put 120,000 miles on a California, 48,000 miles on a Centauro, 107,000 miles on an EV, and now have 46,000 miles on a Stelvio. They are easy to work on. Though I have never been thrilled with Moto Guzzi North America warranty service. I generally am glad when it goes out of warranty and I can do repairs more quickly myself.

I was in a Honda dealership a few days back pricing parts for an old XL600 that I have. The girl behind the counter said something like 'those old Xl600s were great bikes'. I then explained to her about the 300,000 miles I have on Guzzi's, and how I am still trying to get this P.O.S. Honda to 11,000 miles before it explodes. :angry:

Apart from an '06 Griso my other Guzzi purchases have been older bikes, an '81 V50, 70's T3 and my current '86 Le Mans, and I can honestly say I've never had a big issue with any of them other than service items. In my opinion they are no less reliable and no more likely to break than any other bike, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

Steady, Eddy,

Guzzis are what they are - a very unique "Italian" bike. Like all things Italian there will be some "maintenance" involved - and not over the top. Little things are annoying, but easily fixed, and most can be done by anybody - we are talking technology that hasn't really changed much since the 70s (OK Fuel Injection, ABS etc - easily sorted if there are issues) and is generally a reliable beast of burden.

I would happily throw a leg over my Sport and ride around Australia (if I was allowed) today - and not think about anything. Sure you will have to change tyres occasionally, get regular services and the odd bit of fettling (show me a bike that doesn't) and you will be rewarded with many thousands of miles (or 100000s of miles) all of them with a smile on your dial.

Life's too short to worry about what might go wrong, life is for living - I your heart needs a Guzzi, feed it what it needs. Don't turn 90 and say "I wish I had bought that Stelvio - now I regret I didn't".

Only one way to find out isn't there? You know you want it don't you?

Well my '12 ntx has grenaded the clutch today so disregaurd my post above :oops:

Back