• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Converting an 18" California Wheel for a Lemans IV

sakurama

Just got it firing!
This is my first post here. I like that this forum seems to be open to making changes on the bikes. I enjoy building bikes and have built a few. My BMW cafe racer I built over 15 years ago before anyone was doing cafe BMW's.

Back%20unflat%202-L.jpg

Left%20side%20unflat%202-L.jpg

And for the past two years I've been working on my KTM 950 which is now a two wheel drive 990.

DSCF7508-L.jpg

2013-11-10%2011-15-46-L.jpg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461267&highlight=refresh

But this past year I finally had a chance to get a Guzzi which is a bike I've wanted for over 20 years so I'm now starting my build on the bike. The intention is to make it a "cafe fighter" if that makes sense. I have a nice cafe bike in the BMW but it's very uncomfortable. I love the look but I prefer the riding style of a super moto or ADV bike so that's the direction I'm going.

There's full build thread of my Lemans IV on ADV (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972947) but one of the things I wanted to do was to get rid of the contentious 16" wheel and I thought I would do this post to contribute to the general knowledge pool. I also figured it would be appreciated here.

The 16" wheel seems to stir up a lot of controversy but there's next to no tire choices and it looks ridiculous. I will admit it works pretty good but the reason I wanted to find an 18" wheel was mainly aesthetics. My eventual plan is to put an entirely new Ohlins front end on the bike and make a completely new rear end but that's for the winter - this summer I just want to ride the bike and get used to it. And I didn't want to look at that silly wheel all summer.

Anyway, I asked a lot of people if there were any wheels that could be modified to work and everyone told me no. The California 18" wheel looked like it was a pretty good match but when I asked what would need to be changed I was told it was going to be a nightmare and take 10-20 hours of machining and not be worth it. Well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that if someone tells you something is impossible they're almost always wrong. This is another case of that.

I bought a California 18" wheel to experiment with.

2014-05-02%2018-56-20-L.jpg

2014-05-02%2016-23-17-L.jpg

I made a couple of little plugs to measure the dimensions. The hub is identical to the Lemans IV wheel but the brake bosses are wider. I have heard people change out the entire front end to use the California front wheel which seems nuts so I wanted to find a different, simpler way.

2014-05-13%2013-26-40-L.jpg

2014-05-13%2016-30-31-L.jpg

2014-05-14%2009-42-25-L.jpg

I got a big hunk of aluminum to make a fixture with the intention of machining the bosses down to the same dimension as the LMIV wheel.

2014-05-14%2010-00-02-L.jpg

The fixture holds the wheel within about 20 thou but I use the dial indicator to bring it into a couple thou.

2014-05-14%2010-25-19-L.jpg

I then milled off 7mm from each boss on each side to match the width of the Lemans IV wheel.

The California wheel is identical to the Lemans IV wheel in every way save for the width and the fact that they machine the spokes to have that silver edged look. While it would be easy enough to just paint them I decided to just round the spoke edges a little so it would be a better match.

2014-05-15%2010-30-59-L.jpg

2014-05-15%2010-33-34-L.jpg

Then taped it up and sprayed it.

2014-05-15%2011-40-28-L.jpg

2014-05-15%2013-33-24-L.jpg

2014-05-16%2018-45-48-L.jpg

I wasn't sure if the fender would still work but all it needed was a set of 7mm spacers and the fit was perfect.

2014-05-20%2016-28-39%20%281%29-L.jpg

2014-05-20%2016-28-26%20%282%29-L.jpg

And there you have it. I got a perfectly matched wheel in 18" and it cost me all of $100 plus about two hours of very pleasant shop time which is relaxing. With no changes the 18" wheel certainly flopped about and was slower than the 16" wheel but I dropped the forks (raised the tubes) about an inch and it's very much the same now but perhaps a bit more stable. Most of all I like the look of the same sized wheels.

Next up is getting rid of the horrid looking Dr. John two into one exhaust. Again, I'll make something simple for the summer and then in the winter I'll build a very nice exhaust possibly using the dimensions or possibly not. Much is undecided about the bike but little by little it will be transformed into something very special. If you're curious about the progress subscribe to the ADV build.

Thanks,

Gregor

Reactions: KBG
Thanks for the link to your build and the info about the M unit. You're the second person I've seen use one and I like the look so I may go that way since the bike needs a whole new harness anyway.

Did you ever get the bike painted?

Hoping to get time in on an exhaust this week.

Gregor

Gregor, i was just looking at the thread on ADV Rider and i have a solution to your wiring woes.

Motogadget :woohoo:

This was my little makeover,
http://guzzipowered.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=29
Gregor, i was just looking at the thread on ADV Rider and i have a solution to your wiring woes.

Motogadget :woohoo:

This was my little makeover,
http://guzzipowered.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=29
Hi double-d,
I'm in the middle of installing a Motogadget M-Unit on my Guzzi and would very much appreciate a copy of your wiring diagram!
I know that it was drawn for your specific needs but I think that it would help solve a couple of problems I have regarding ;- ignition and generator warning lamp wiring. Would you be willing to share?
Carlo

Back