• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Tire Thread

A closer reading shows a tube tire is offered, but not in the low profile size that I was after. Good eye, Kev. I'm glad they still cater to tube tires. The difference between tube and tubeless construction can't be earth-shattering.

sign216 said:
A closer reading shows a tube tire is offered, but not in the low profile size that I was after. Good eye, Kev. I'm glad they still cater to tube tires. The difference between tube and tubeless construction can't be earth-shattering.

There must be SOME significant difference since they bother to make both a Tubed and Tubeless version of the same size (as stock):

130/80-17M/C 65H TT 3.00 2.50 - 3.50 638 131
130/80-17M/C 65H TL 3.00 2.50 - 3.50 638 131

Dunlop OK's tubes in tubeless tires, it just raises the core operating temperature of the tire ~10ºF. Best to check tire pressures when warm as to not over inflate.

Tubeless tires have a stiffer sidewall and rim edge so they don't get pulled away from the rim with heavy side loads. Makes 'em harder to change!
Bare

any success going plus 1 size width and -1 size on the profile?

stock
100/90-18 front
130/80-17 rear

to a

110-/80 or 110/70 front
140/70 rear?

Matt

Instg8r said:
I'll be needing to get tires soon, Todd any experience with tires with regards to my previous post?

Matt

Since no one else has answered, I will. You are probably best to stay with the stock size. Larger tires will make handling slower and in some cases you may not have clearance. I really doubt a 140 has room to go on the rear. Also be advised that not all tires that say they are 100s or 130s are. There can be as much as 10mm difference is size from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Missed this. Thanks John.

Depends on what you'll use the bike the most for. Tires are recommended based on rim size. Stock sizes are about max for best handling and functionality. That said, if you are mostly a straight line rider or care more about look then go, then outside of clearance issues (the rear may not squeeze in), anything can be made to work... you've seen guys are even putting big gnarly knobbies on, etc etc. Hope that helps some.

I tried searching, but didn't really find any useful information anywhere on the internet. I have a v7 stone that I just recently picked up, and I loveee the scrambler look with big knobby tires. I have decided i like the Continental TKC80 tires the best, but they dont make a front tire in the OEM size, and they dont make a rear tire in the correct size either. Im not looking to mix tires front and rear, does anybody know of what size the v7 stone can max out on the front without running into clearance issues on either the width, or the tire height and front fender clearance? Im new to motorcycles, and unsure how to check or calculate tire measurements. Thanks in advance for any help! I tried messging the guys at Venier customs, as the tractor 02 uses the same tires, but he seemed unwilling to help with sizes, and was very vague with his responses, although i do appreciate even the bit of help he did offer.

Yea I saw there isn't a lot of options, but I did find a few different places that had a few different sizes randomly sorted, was wondering if there was anything sort of close I could use. when I emailed venier, they said they used a rear tire in the front, but didn't remember the size.

I just recently moved to sunnyvale from Long Island, NY

Can anyone recommend the best tires for the bike. Sport touring, city driving

I would stick with the stock sport demons. They may not get the best mileage but they really help with confidence and stick when you need them to. They warm up nicely. Another possible option are the Pirelli scorpion trail. A 95%/5% "dual sport" tire.

Can anyone recommend the best tires for the bike. Sport touring, city driving
The Sport Demons were pretty good on my V7C. I got 10k miles out of them. Put on some Bridgestone BT45 Battleaxe tires, they lasted 4000 miles. Right now I am running Michelin Pilot Activ tires, I like them a lot. Looks like they are going to hold up well.

Right now I am running Michelin Pilot Activ tires, I like them a lot. Looks like they are going to hold up well.
Good to know, as I just put a set on the RentAGuzzi V7R.
Also guys, I combined all of the tire threads into just one here, now posted to remain near the top of the first page of this section.

Hi everyone,

I think the answer to the question of which 'type' of tire, bias or radial, works best on the V7 is that it simply doesn't much matter. The only persistent advantage of bias ply is that they last longer and use tubes. That they handle heavy load better seems irrelevant on a bike that is not really intended as a touring or two-up bike; that some of you do so, and enjoy this advantage, is just lucky for you.

Radials simply aren't necessary because no one is going to ride fast enough or aggressively enough on this bike to justify need of them. Nothing about the frame, suspension, geometry or ride characteristics of this bike will let you ride anywhere close to the limits of modern radial tires, without risking injury due to the inherent limitations of the bike itself.

The simply fact of the matter is that this bike probably has bias ply tires because its cheaper to put the same tire on every bike in the line, and the spoked Racer requires it. There is probably some huge profit incentive that causes factories to continue to employ this outdated construction technology (for bikes that admit their use) despite its general overall inferiority.

I suspect that bias-ply tires would have disappeared long ago had the rubber compounds and tread designs not improved so significantly and sufficiently enough to keep them in the game past any practical purpose. They are still used in competitive auto applications for different reasons.

The only bikes I know of that ship with combinations (bias-ply in front, and radial in back) are Harleys, and they do it only for aesthetic reason, so that they can get a really wide tire on the back without suffering the visual intrusion of a really tall side-wall (bias-ply tires being generally uniform in geometry).

As far as I can discover, no manufacturer of radials recommends running them with tubes (even the ones that manufacture tubes specifically for that purpose), so I don't know why people keep pursuing this as an option. Note: Insurance investigators always check motorcycle tire pressure (if there is a tire left) and tubing, to check if you have been...improvising.

If you have spoked rims, you need tubes, and therefore bias ply tires. If you have alloy rims, you can get radials if you want, but you won't need them. Or, you can get a bike that you don't need, just to get the tires you want. I bought a Panigale just so I could have high-tech radial tires. LOL! You can buy my radials. They they come with a Panigale for $14,000 Canadian.

If those of you who 'want' radial tires do so simply because you 'want' radial tires, you're wanting the wrong thing. Talk to Todd about suspension upgrades instead. As far as I can tell from reading (something I'm very good at), the Sport Demons are, as it turns out, pretty much the best solution for this bike. Point for Guzzi!

I've got my crash bars on, and I'll be setting out to explore the limits of these very tires in a week or so when I finally insure this bike, and start gymkhana on it. Should be a hoot! I'll report back with my initial dry/wet findings soon.

Timothy St. John

Last edited:
Disagree Timothy.
On the BMW R100R and R80R bikes I have owned over +100,000 miles the move to radials gave me about a 10% longer tyre life and MUCH better handling characteristics in all weathers than earlier bias tyres. These bikes have a similar weight and power to the V7.
I think it really is time you got out there and rode your bike!
AndyB

While I agree that you should not try to run radial tires on a bike that was not made for radials, on rims that are not wide enough for proper radial tire fitment, I have to disagree with some other points.
There are plenty of guys running radials with tubes. almost every factory supermoto comes that way. My DRZ400SM came that way. My buddies Aprilia SXV550 came that way (with an F'n 180).
Bias ply tires are likely still around for two reasons. First, they are cheaper to make. Second, they are often "good enough" for the intended application. They are not as good as radials. They do not offer the potential grip of radials. They do not offer the potential mileage of radials. They do not offer the potential ride quality of radials. They are cheaper to make and they are often good enough for the intended use.
But if the bike was not made to run radials, more importantly if the rims are not wide enough to fit radials (every tire is made to fit a selected width rim as well as the diameter), you likely should stick with buying the best bias ply tires you can find for your intended use. There are some very nice bias ply tires out there. However, if you want to fit a square peg in a round hole go ahead. I can't see it from my house.

Hi everyone,

You're right Andy, it is high time I got out on this particular bike. 37 years on other bikes gives me no intimate knowledge of it, and it is likely the case that the frame and geometry of this bike is much evolved in competance beyond what I have come to expect of this simple type of bike, as a result of reading all the affectionate bitching and complaining about it.

You also agree with me that radials are better than bias-ply, just not strictly necessary; except for those who over-ride this bikes stock capability. As for radials shipping stock with tubes, that's just non-sensical security mindedness for people who probably aren't comfortable riding close to the edge where the fun begins. Slow down, and have some fun. I'm fortunate enough not to care about mileage. I'm worth new tires; often yearly in a good riding season.

I have no intention of riding this particular bike beyond the limits of the Sport Demons (I have other bikes for that), which I have ridden on other bikes, I'm just looking for stylish low speed, dry weather fun in the city's core. I'm using this bike for what it was designed for: dick'n around on; not racing, not touring (solo or two up), and not commuting. I'm sure it will do the trick. I wish you all better luck with your grander ambition for it. Todd can certainly help you get closer to it.

Saturdays the day!

Thank you all for posting!

Timothy St. John.

P.S. I can't help but wonder if people aren't maybe running out of nerve well in advance of these capable tires (albeit not at speed) losing their grip.

Last edited:
Back