• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"Perfect" tires for Griso: personal impressions/evaluations

Re: "Perfect" tires for Griso: personal impressions/evaluati

Am running 36psi front and 42psi rear on the Pirelli Scorpion Sync stockers on the SE. That is the spec from the book at 2.5bar and 2.9bar.

The non SE Griso is spec'd at 2.3bar (33psi) and 2.5bar (36psi).

Why the big difference? Is it tyre based or suspension based?

When I switch tyres in a few months, do I stick with the 36/42 or does it vary depending on the tyre? I had them at 33/36 for a while and find the 36/42 better.

double.d said:
Well, now i'm confused so i'll have to check it out. I'm fairly ??????? certain i never went up a size, but hey that was 5 years ago.
Did your 07 come with Rensports ?

Yep. Sure did, on both bikes too.
In fact, the front wheel still sports the original tire with 6300 miles on the bike but there isn't much life left on it now.
I got the bike brand new for the wife last January as a left over stock.

Pascal said:
double.d said:
Well, now i'm confused so i'll have to check it out. I'm fairly ??????? certain i never went up a size, but hey that was 5 years ago.
Did your 07 come with Rensports ?

Yep. Sure did, on both bikes too.
In fact, the front wheel still sports the original tire with 6300 miles on the bike but there isn't much life left on it now.
I got the bike brand new for the wife last January as a left over stock.

That's 10,000klm :eek: , must be the roads :unsure:
What, typically, do you get from a rear ?

gvw said:
Am running 36psi front and 42psi rear on the Pirelli Scorpion Sync stockers on the SE

At that pressure i can't see how you would'nt be cooking that rear tyre, and wearing it very quickly.

This is what my Owners Manual says. It was delivered after the PD with both at 29psi, changed them to 33 and 36 before I rode it and then to 36 and 42 after I read the manual. Only 2,500km on them at the moment and not looking too far from new, but time will tell.

You always hear people saying that even 1 psi makes a difference in handling - how much difference does 6 psi (under or over depending on where you sit) make it?

Is there an authoritative reference from Pirelli?

Attachments

• Griso SE Tyre Pressures.jpg
    Griso SE Tyre Pressures.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 964

Found a site that reviews most of the tyres mentioned above and provides their experience of mileage for each tyre.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/#tir

They provide reviews from new down to wear bars for:
•Continental Road Attack
•Continental Sport Attack
•The Revised Continental Sport Attack
•Continental Sport Attack Race
•Dunlop D616 Vs. Pirelli Scorpion Sync
•Dunlop Qualifier
•Metzeler Sportec M1 and Roadtec Z6 tires
•Michelin Pilot Power
•Michelin Pilot Road

Mileage experienced for a wide range of tyres from:
•Bridgestone
•Continental
•Dunlop
•Michelin
•Pirelli

For my case, they reviewed the Pirelli Scorpion Sync:
"When we increased the pressure to 36/42 we found that the tires behaved much better and the handling of the motorcycles actually improved. The front seemed to track better and the rear had less tendency to fold over during hard acceleration out of corners."
"One of the complaints we’ve read and heard about the Sync’s was that the front tire is too hard and does not provide as much feedback. When we moved to the 36/42 pressures the tires seemed to wear more evenly (we believe front and rear tires should wear out at the same rate) and overall felt like the front matched the rear tire better.

Like most other Pirelli/Metzelers we've run, warm up was never an issue. The tires came to temperature quickly; even once we started running the higher pressures. The higher pressures also resulted in much longer life. On our two sets we got 4,700 miles and 4,300 miles."

double.d said:
That's 10,000klm :eek: , must be the roads :unsure:
What, typically, do you get from a rear ?

Like I said in the beginning of the thread, The factory installed rensport lasted 4000 miles...
Went with the Roadsmart and got 8000.
Then the Conti road attack was good fort 6000 and I just reinstalled a roadsmart with almost 18000 total miles on the bike so far.
So that's my history on the G12.
The G11 is only on the second tire at the back so we will see.

I must say that most of those miles on my bike were put on in the Carolinas/Georgia mountains and not in FL where there are no curves and everything is flat.
I can't see stretching to 8000 miles on that Dunlop with only straightaways, lol.

After reading this and other similar threads the answer to the implied question is obvious.

There is no "Perfect" tyre just a 1000 opinions for a 1000 different sets of circumstances.

It has been interesting however getting other points of view and it is clear that things such as suspension settings, type of riding, tyre pressures, road surfaces and price are all variables which ensure that there is no way to zero in on just one tyre.
I my opinion whatever you are happy with is as close as you get to the mythical Perfect tyre.

I know I am happy with what I have been using but after reading this maybe I will try some other brands/models as I know I have a good tyre to come back to if they are not better.

Another point to consider is that a large number of these opinions may well change in the next few years as the different manufacturers update their current tyre range to new versions. When they do, we can all start over again.

Mark

Another thing to keep in mind is what the pavement is made of. The same tire, rider, bike and suspension settings that worked great in SoCal (mostly concrete) suck like an electrolux in Texas (greasy asphalt).

Exactly - I do not think there exists a tire good for all the vastly different tarmac conditions you find on Greek roads.

Mi_ka said:
Exactly - I do not think there exists a tire good for all the vastly different tarmac conditions you find on Greek roads.

Dude you got cobblestones there? They had those in Italy. I thought steel grate bridges were the worst thing to ride on, until I ran across cobblestone streets.

schimenator said:
Dude you got cobblestones there? They had those in Italy. I thought steel grate bridges were the worst thing to ride on, until I ran across cobblestone streets.
Aaah, cobblestone streets... that brings back a ton of memories...

I have to say they provide a very effective (not to mention selective) training ground for novice, teenage Italian riders... imagine riding a 1980's 125cc Vespa on them, swiftly swinging through heavy traffic at rush hour...

3445233491_0b8896c338.jpg

Ever wondered how Rossi & Co. got their early motorcycling chops? :mrgreen:

20094619272_fffffff.jpg

Greyo said:
schimenator said:
Dude you got cobblestones there? They had those in Italy.
Aaah, cobblestone streets... that brings back a ton of memories...
...imagine riding a 1980's 125cc Vespa on them...

A fine friend of mine was a student at Bologna in the '70s - he said that a Vespa crashing on a cobblestone street makes A HECK OF LOUD tin can crashing noises until it stops down :lol:
As for the roads around here, not unusual to have so much wear polished tarmacs that they simulate soapy surfaces or frozen lakes when the finest cover of moisture is present... :pinch: (been there, slid my @sh falling off in Athens a few times - thank god for the olympics as they finally resurfaced some city streets)

Hi,

My G12 had the Metzeler tires as standard tires.
I wore them out in 7000 km.
They behaved pretty good. With my style of driving the Griso slided a bit accelerating out of the corners.
(Also with about 160 km/h (100 mls/h) in a fast corner... :whistle: )
Now I have Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the Griso, rear the "B" type. It has a bit stiffer side walls, for heavier bikes.
I like them better as the Metzelers. Steering is easyer and doesn't slide with my driving style.
In the wet I'm riding carefully... touring a bit... :blush: but feeling good, with confidence, so no complaints there.
I've done some 2500 km with them now.
Tire pressure front between 2.3 and 2.5 bar, rear between 2.6 and 2.9 bar.
Depends on where I'm driving, on what kind of roads, in what way I'm driving (touring, sporty, allone or with passenger), how long the trip is, outside temperature and so on.
Tire pressure surely not to low, temperature of the tire must not get to high.
The form, shape of the tire must stay good in any condition.
Most of the time I check the pressure every week or before every big trip.

Ad B

Hey all,

I picked up a set of Pirelli Angel Gt’s and have put about 1K miles on them. The original tires were pretty well worn at 3000 mi, so I don’t have a lot to compare, but here are my impressions:

I wanted a sport touring tire because I live in the city and any ‘fun riding’ requires a minimum of 30 minutes of highway to get to. Accelerating hard while leaned over, tire slippage is slow and controlled, making it very easy to judge the amount of available grip. Out on the twisty roads (our version anyway), the tires are stable, have an amazing amount of grip leaned over and have been very predictable under braking. Tire wear at this point is not noticeable, as expected.

My sportbike riding friends are amazed at how well the bike handles, a trait that I attribute to the bikes suspension and the new tires. I have kept the front at 34psi. The rear I tried at 40-42, but found it would bounce me around. 38psi seems to work best for me at 170lbs. I will try to remember to update on mileage as time goes on.

double.d said:
gvw said:
Am running 36psi front and 42psi rear on the Pirelli Scorpion Sync stockers on the SE

At that pressure i can't see how you would'nt be cooking that rear tyre, and wearing it very quickly.

Running them higher improves life and wear, most of the heat comes from flexing the carcas, and raising the pressure limits the flex and lowers the running temp. At these pressures you sacrifice grip for tire life. Where I live is mtn twisty central, with very abrasive roads....running lower does improve grip but will triangulate tires very quickly if you are aggressive, you run lower at the track to maximise grip, and just high enough to not destroy your tire in the session. Running higher pressures does more to combat flat stripping than anything else you can do on a bike you commute on.

I get 2000-2500 out of qualifiers and Q2s, running them cause I got a pile of them for $80 each at a track day...Roadsmarts I do not like I wear out 2 fronts for every rear, so that is a pain about 1500 miles on a front and 32oon a rear. the angels are nice and will go maybe 4500mi...

I like road 3 in the wet not much need to slow down, the 4 is better but they do the Mich death weave the last 25% like every Mich tire on the mkt right now :!:

an over looked but solid tire at a good price for this bike is the T-30 bridgestone, it is a very solid good priced sport touring tire.

The new Anekee 3 I wear out like 3 fronts to 1 rear Aint never had that before :!: :?:

Back