• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1960 Ercole - brake master cylinder

VintageMech

Just got it firing!
Hello fellow Guzzi owners,
Just joined after finding this site, looking for parts.
I have a 1960 Ercole , that I am trying to find a brake master cylinder for or a rebuild kit...
Have tried to hone it a bit, wich came out perfect , but the seals are shot , and when it has a load on it and relying on just the front brake until you pump the rear one a couple times is not fun.
Appreciate any help or steered in the right direction.

Thanks ,

I sold my Ercole a few years ago so all this is from memory.......

I think the master cylinder on mine was a Fiat car or truck one but of course it might not have been the original one. When I got it I was given a load of spares by the previous owner including a generic car master cylinder (I think it might have been for a 1960s Land Rover) which he'd bought just in case he needed it. So I guess if total originality doesn't matter you could fit any m/c of a similar size.

My brake problems were with the slave cylinders in the hubs which failed 100% and left me with no brakes for a 10 mile journey home including several steep hills. All I can say is the front brake was entirely decorative and thank god for engine braking & the Ercole's low gearing! I couldn't find replacement slaves any where but eventually found a classic car engineering company who bored & sleeved them and provide new seals to suit. Sorry I can't remember the firms name only that they were somewhere in East Anglia in UK.

There's usually quite a lot of Ercole parts on Italian Ebay & I think some Guzzi dealers in Italy can get parts. Try Stucchi Luigi in Mandello: http://www.stucchiluigi.it Their website isn't very user friendly but I've been told by someone if you phone them & speak to Lewis (or Louis?) he speaks English and might be able to help.

I don't know where you are but here in the UK there's Ian Ledger (Stream Cottage Classics) who advertises in the classic bike magazines. I did get him to get me parts through his contacts in Italy. Gordon at Moto Corsa ( http://www.motocorsa.co.uk ) might be able to help too - he's got an Ercole and sometimes posts on GuzziTech so might even read this and respond.

Thank you ,
I was guessing Fiat and went out and searched for vintage fiat master cylinders.Thanks also for the tip on the wheel cylinders. I am in the US , east coast. I have gotten a clutch pack from Guzzino sucesfully , and some other items. I also knew a guy who could speak Italian and from a copy of an old parts manual was able to get the clutch arm mounting cover new. but alas he is no where to be found now.....I will try those that you mentioned.It very well could be a wheel cylinder issue also. I have replaced the out axle bearings and seals, last yea and it was ok then.They do work if you pump them a couple times.
I also know what you mean about the front brake ! I had a load in it when the rears went soft.

Thanks again.

Back