• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Using a Dictaphone while touring ?

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi All.
It is a pain in the a..., Having to pull out a notebook and pencil at gas stops, viewpoints etc, while touring, to keep the blog timeline & piccys together.
Especially if its raining, or blowing like stink.
So, I thought about one of these ..Digital Voice Recorders.
I Googled weatherproof / waterproof / rugged : Digital Voice Recorders.
All I found, were wierd James Bond type,recording watches, from China.
Apart from that, it was just typical office type dictaphones.
Yes , one could be supplied with a Wind Sock, but nothing Showerproof.
So, has anyone, any experience of using a dictaphone, while touring , hiking, or whatever , outdoors ?
As in, if its in a waterproof pouch, like the ones they sell for VHF radios, will the dictaphone pick up voice, well enough to understand what was said, later in the day ?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Take Care Out There

G'day Jim130,
I personally have no experience of the digital things but the micro-cassetts that people used to use had omnidirectional microphones. To make it in anyway useable, you would have to have aa uni-directional microphone with a wind sock and mounted very close to the mouth.
What I have used for amature stage work is a lapel microphone, 3mm diameter but the clothes clip is removed and the microphone is taped to the face using micropor medical low allergenic tape. The microphone is taped on the face just behind the edge of the mouth when it is smiling. We don't have to contend with wind noise this way and so can use omni microphones which are smaller. These, of course, go into a radio microphone beltpack, but in your case it would be the digital recorder.
Interesting.
Lest us know how you go.

Cheers
Brian. :D :D

Good Points !
I never thought about the tracfone , as a recording device, but yes, its there, in the menu.
Anyway, in a motel room, the tracfone recorded well, even when wrapped in a small ziploc bag for rain protection.
But outside, any wind made it practically useless.
Also, I searched a ton of sites for Outdoor, Rugged or Weatherproof dictaphones, and got nothing.
So I decided to persevere with the pencil & paper.
Thanks for the Input.
Take Care Out There

Can't you put a microphone in your helmet? Either bluetooth or hard wired to the phone? And I think some video cameras as used on bikes have the facility to use a voice mic instead of the built in one that usually picks up nothing but wind & engine noise.

organfixsing said:
To make it in anyway useable, you would have to have aa uni-directional microphone with a wind sock and mounted very close to the mouth.

Unidirectional microphones don't work well close to the mouth, without introducing a large bass boost. In this application, most of that bass would be wind noise, masking the voice.

I would go with the omnidirectional microphone. YMMV,

Back