• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

click ... click

cyclobutch

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Gonna head off on the G11 this morning but was met by the above. Had to travel by other means. Investigated this afternoon:

Switching on produced the usual array of lights and needle swing, then as that settled I had the spanner coming up, not seen it previously but don't see how this should relate. Pull the clutch (not really required I suppose) and thumbing the starter produced no more than a relay type click from under the RH thigh, followed by another maybe 10 seconds or so later, no starter or starting.

Neutral light was on OK, as was the side stand light. Clocks remained lit up OK. Voltmeter on the clocks showed 12.2 Tried selecting a gear and then neutral, sidestand up and down, toggled the kill switch. Still nothing.

Went into diagnostics, code 12450 to access. Nothing reported under dash or ECU. Switched off the spanner whilst I was there though.

Check the fuses. In the small fuse box I have the rear most missing which I presume is normal. Of the remaining 5 the middle one - Fuse C was blown. This was a 20A, the only one rated that high. Swapped out the spare that is in there (same value), and normal service is resumed. For now at least.

I thought this fuse was supposed to be a 15A and that an acceptable 'bodge' was to put a 20A in there? Could mine have previously been swapped? I'm the second owner. Why would this blow and hence when might I see the problem again? I'd washed the bike at the weekend (not pressure washed) and this was the first attempt to start since.

Thoughts and observations gratefully accepted - I'm off into France next Tuesday night to rack up 1500 or so miles by the weekend. Swapping fuses isn't that convenient when I've got luggage strapped down on the seat.

B

According to the wiring diagram, Fuse c is rated at 20 amps, and supplies the starter solenoid plus the coils and injector power. Anything which prevents the solenoid pulling in completely will almost certainly result in that fuse blowing. Carry a few spares.

It's an all new battery just fitted a couple of months ago. Bike has probably stood two or three weeks since last being run - and that was a hundred miles or so. Bike cranked fine once I swapped out the fuse. Does this sound like low battery?

cyclobutch said:
It's an all new battery just fitted a couple of months ago. Bike has probably stood two or three weeks since last being run - and that was a hundred miles or so. Bike cranked fine once I swapped out the fuse. Does this sound like low battery?

No it doesn't. The starter solenoid may have been slow to engage since it sat for awhile. That may have caused the fuse to blow. Three weeks without starting isn't very long so this is probably an isolated instance.

I've had the same thing happen on my Norge. But that was just after a 30 mile ride. I stopped, then after a minute or so, tried to start. So no possibility of the battery being low. It started instantly when I changed the fuse.
So there must be occasions when the solenoid just doesn't complete its travel.
Maybe once in a blue moon the teeth just don't mesh, preventing full travel, I don't know.

But it seems the only answer is to make sure you have a spare fuse available.

Necropost!

To save starting a new thread, I am having this a little as well. For a while now, sometimes when I try to start, the bike just goes 'clunk' and I have to press the kill switch in and out again to make it start.

Well, a couple of months back I started up, rode 2 miles, and stalled. Went to restart and no go. long story short, it was fuse C.

I tried to start it the other day after 7 days standing and it killed 2 fuse C's before it would go.

When the non-start happens, sometimes it sounds like the starter going clunk and not engaging. Could this be the problem, and is there any way I could test/get it tested to see if there is an issue?

Cheers in advance!

Try cleaning the solenoid/starter gear and re-lube. It may be hanging up a little. Also have you done the starter relay modification?

I haven't no. I am not confident at all with soldering, so can't make the leads (I have anxiety issues so soldering gives me uncontrollable shakes).

Todd Haven at http://mphcycles.com/ was making this gadget at one stage. I don't know if he still does...

DSC02018.jpg
Todd

Back