• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which US Stelvio for me, 09 or NTX?

toma nova

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I'm upgrading from the 1200 Sport to a Stelvio - I need more room but want to stay in the MG family.

I've been researching and know the main differences between the US models: 09-11 with the wider rear wheel vs. NTXs with side cases, roller tappets, TC, bigger tank, and revised fairing.

I would be 100% on asphalt or graded gravel - I don't have any fantasies about riding single track. Either model would get a slip on (I hate the huge NTX muffler) and a top case (since the Trax cases won't fit a helmet).

I am neutral on ABS / TC, the huge tank is not necessary, I'm not in love with the ADV looks and the square cases of the NTX (but would need to add Givis or Euro Norge-like side cases to an 09). I'm not sure about flat vs. roller tappets. Either bike would get sport-touring tires, not knobbies. Are the seats the same? What other major differences?

Finally, I'm in love with red (of course) and white, and could live with matte green. There are a couple of 09s on CycleTrader and every dealer has 2013 leftovers with $1k off.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Tom

Go for the roller tappets in my opinion. That way no worry about the flat tappet issues, or having to do the conversion in the future. If you don't like the bags, take them off and sell them and buy what you want.

go with the ntx you have a 150 rear tire many more choices, generally you will like the big tank and it will be a roller, do not get a left over 12 mine is and it has issues there seem to be a lot of them with late 2011-early 2012 bikes...I love mine that is why I have put up with it only being on the road 14mths out of 24 ownwership, really the 2 year warranty is good cause you will only be able to ride it a year out of those 2...

I have to say I enjoy it more than about any other bike I have had in the last 35 years, (about 96 bikes now) but this one has made me walk and left me stranded more times than every other Vehicle put together I have owned.

so after its current 3 mths off the road for a clutch replacement (if I am lucky) I may get it back.

Last edited:
go with the nts you have a 150 rear tire many more choices, generally you will like the big tank and it will be a roller, do not get a left over 12 mine is and it has issues there seem to be a lot of them with late 2011-early 2012 bikes

Don't generalize....my "early" 2012 is pristine (as are many others that I know of) with 35K on the odometer and 2 years in the seat. Unless you call the aux lights an issue...a minor inconvenience and frankly all the years have the same issue.

Don't generalize....my "early" 2012 is pristine (as are many others that I know of) with 35K on the odometer and 2 years in the seat. Unless you call the aux lights an issue...a minor inconvenience and frankly all the years have the same issue.

Yes I have to agree with you, it's sweeping generalisations like this that can give a bike a bad name. My 2011 has been faultless and my 2009 model only had a couple of very minor issues (speedo sensor failure and a slight misfire caused by faulty plug cap.)

I have been a major proponent of the Stelvio, However, you are rolling the dice with a lot of cash if you buy a new one, Piaggio North America does not honor the warranty unless it suits them, and they do not inventory any "wear" parts in the US. I just would recommend to any potentiol buyers to know your states lemon law, and be very prepared to fight, do not give Piaggio any more time or chances to fix your new bike than the law requires chances are the replacement will be a good one. (do not buy a new Piaggio product if you live in a state without a lemon law)

Just remember any part they choose can be classified as a wear item, and not covered.

The abs module and the clutch are both wear items, not inventoried in North America, and have an acceptable service life of 6 hours or any miles.

My '12 has been road worthy(I did not say 100% functional as it should be but rideable if you carried an air pump with you ) for about 7 months out of 24 months of ownership (I said 14 months above in my first post but I was counting the time it was blowing the main fuse every 5th or 6th time I started it (first 3 mths of ownership bad starter not covered "wear item", and the 7 mths of random no start when hot (faulty evap system installation, and tip over valve)

If you get a good one great, if you get 2 out of the 10 that are totally fucked from the factory, it is not like the old days of Guzzi that a little love and attention and perseverance and you would be rewarded with a great bike for a long time...if you get a bad one now there is no amount of work or money that will make it ok.

I go back 30 years with the brand, and have owned 28 of them over the years....even the Mandello rosso was more reliable.

I have stuck with the Stelvio this long Just Because I like it so much...which ever you choose just get a comfortable pair of riding boots cause you are gonna be walking quite a bit....and road side with unlimited towing....

did I mention that there was a run of bad switch gear in 2011, Guzzi was using these on the 2012 Stellas, the part was common with some aprillias (the shiver comes to mind) and they failed on them too, aprillia however replaced them without question...Piaggio on guzzis not so much...on the Stelvio it leads to total headlight failure, on the aprillia the high beams just get flakey and the flash to pass quits.

Last edited:
it is sitting in Ga now right next to the new '14 that is blowing through a liter of oil every 300 miles.

I would be happy to take fair parts value, but I have to get the rear shock, clear water kristas, gps mount corbin seat and the traxxion fork internals first (those parts are either useful to me or sellable) I would be keeping the trax boxes and using them on another bike as well. The mistrel can i would also be keeping

pm me with a reasonable parts offer it is orange btw, and let me know when you want to pick it up.

, i would re-build the forks to stock and install stock muffler, and rear shock before pickup, it has had the link recall done, the rear shock has been re-valved and sprung so it would not be exactly stock... full disclosure

Last edited:
I have been a major proponent of the Stelvio, However, you are rolling the dice with a lot of cash if you buy a new one, Piaggio North America does not honor the warranty unless it suits them, and they do not inventory any "wear" parts in the US. I just would recommend to any potentiol buyers to know your states lemon law, and be very prepared to fight, do not give Piaggio any more time or chances to fix your new bike than the law requires chances are the replacement will be a good one. (do not buy a new Piaggio product if you live in a state without a lemon law)

Just remember any part they choose can be classified as a wear item, and not covered.

The abs module and the clutch are both wear items, not inventoried in North America, and have an acceptable service life of 6 hours or any miles.

My '12 has been road worthy(I did not say 100% functional as it should be but rideable if you carried an air pump with you ) for about 7 months out of 24 months of ownership (I said 14 months above in my first post but I was counting the time it was blowing the main fuse every 5th or 6th time I started it (first 3 mths of ownership bad starter not covered "wear item", and the 7 mths of random no start when hot (faulty evap system installation, and tip over valve)

If you get a good one great, if you get 2 out of the 10 that are totally fucked from the factory, it is not like the old days of Guzzi that a little love and attention and perseverance and you would be rewarded with a great bike for a long time...if you get a bad one now there is no amount of work or money that will make it ok.

I go back 30 years with the brand, and have owned 28 of them over the years....even the Mandello rosso was more reliable.

I have stuck with the Stelvio this long Just Because I like it so much...which ever you choose just get a comfortable pair of riding boots cause you are gonna be walking quite a bit....and road side with unlimited towing....

did I mention that there was a run of bad switch gear in 2011, Guzzi was using these on the 2012 Stellas, the part was common with some aprillias (the shiver comes to mind) and they failed on them too, aprillia however replaced them without question...Piaggio on guzzis not so much...on the Stelvio it leads to total headlight failure, on the aprillia the high beams just get flakey and the flash to pass quits.

You are a much more patient man than myself, Id have dumped that bike and moved on long ago. I really like my 13 Stelvio but after taking it in three times for the same oil leak from the cylinder freeze plug I was already looking into what its replacement would be. Luckily so far it seems to be fixed and all is forgiven, but if she turns on me again a certain Yamaha is calling my name.

Back