• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Erratic neutral display light.

Pascal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I feel like such like a n00b with those Guzzis I swear...

Every vehicle I own/owned doesn't and never did, feel foreign to me after the first couple of weeks.
And I could work on them and understand everything
But this Griso here, is simply a fukking witch. LOL.
I had the speedo stuck on 5 mph, the starter switch being fickle and all kinds of other stuff that's kinda Voodoo. :evil:
Now my neutral light is not coming on very often...

I did trouble shoot the side stand switch and it's not it.
The green light comes on at idle but it blinks at times.
When the bike's not running, everything is normal.

Could it be the sensor at the transmission or the instrument cluster maybe or worse, the ECU fixing to bail out on me?
The bike runs strong and perfectly so I'm still happy. :cool:

Pascal

Check the electrical connection on the neutral switch for looseness or corrosion.

Part #10 in the picture.

Attachments

• neutral.jpg
    neutral.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 876
Somebody here has the signature;

Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921. :lol:

Welcome to the club, most owners of older Guzzi's learn to ignore such foibles, as some things are irrelevant to the ride like, Italian engineering and mirrors. Watsa behind me duzza notta matta! ;)

Update:

Thanks to Draidt for the diagram...
Tell you what guys, I hate to have to remove that switch while the transmission is still on the bike.
Not much room to get a wrench in there.
But I was able to locate that neutral switch and with my gynecologist fingers, I played with it, wiggle things around and it came (on) real fast. :lol: :lol:

The last few days, the light wouldn't come on at all even when the engine not running.
Talk about a confused computer and a confused Frenchman, lol.
The ECU was getting the signal that the bike was in gear ALL the time so the starter wouldn't engage until I pull the clutch lever and fold the side stand up. Then the bike would start.
Put the bike in neutral carefully while it was now running but as soon as I took the stand down the bike would stall, lol.
Hate this computer crap...Just give me my old school back damn it!

Glad you had this problem, Pascal. :whistle:

No, not really, but I am glad you posted it, because my Norge has developed the same issue in the last couple of months.

With a snowstorm coming in today and temps in the low teens, this looks a good weekend to putz in the garage and sort out the flicker ... among any number of other minor motochores.

Bill

Bill, I'm gonna stop having problems from now on...
You seem to capitalize on it and it's not fair. :(

Pascal said:

Sulking in the garage while it snows and blows outside -- especially when I think of you Florida Guzzisti basking in the sun -- doesn't strike me as capitalizing, but I'll do the best I can. :p

Peroni will help. ;)

Bill

You should be able to unplug the connector and crimp the edges of it to cause a better grip then push it back on....

Bill Hagan said:
Pascal said:

Sulking in the garage while it snows and blows outside -- especially when I think of you Florida Guzzisti basking in the sun -- doesn't strike me as capitalizing, but I'll do the best I can. :p

Peroni will help. ;)

Bill

Grappa son, Grappa!
It does wonder to push to Peroni down. LOL.

Snow blowing outside? You're back in GA?

Is there a way to get to this switch without taking the tank off? If so, I'd love to know because my N light is erratic when the bike is warm.

Thanks!

GuzziHero said:
Is there a way to get to this switch without taking the tank off? If so, I'd love to know because my N light is erratic when the bike is warm.

Thanks!

If you look at the illustration Dan provided, the switch is at the back of the gearbox. You might be able to approach it from the rear of the bike with the wheel removed. If you have to remove the swing arm, it is an excuse to lube the swing arm bearings and shock linkage. If these items haven't been lubed yet, they should be.

Corrosion may be an issue

Not so you'd notice, mind you... :dry:

Easy-peasy to get to on the G11. Guess I need a new neutral lead and might replace the switch at the same time.

So, the next question is... can I replace the lead without taking the tank off? ;)

At least I can still ride it for now.

As for the swingarm bearings, thanks for the warning. I was advised of slightly play at my last MOT so I am planning to replace those bearings anyway.

As to the swing arm bearings, inspect them. If you don't see any pitting or scoring just grease them and adjust. It is about a 3 hour job to do the bearings and linkage.

Just ordered a CARC adjustment tool. I'll do the neutral cable switch and swingarm bearings as soon as they're both here.

As usual you are top notch with your help and advice. It is much appreciated, especially by an engineering noob such as myself. Thanks!

Edit:
Been told that I would have to replace the entire wiring loom for that one cable! That can't be right, surely?

GuzziHero said:
Been told that I would have to replace the entire wiring loom for that one cable! That can't be right, surely?

It looks like the connector is a spade type. Just get a connector and some wire the same gauge. Solder the connector to the wire then cut back the loom to get to good wire and solder the new wire. Place shrink sleeve on the wire before soldering then use a heat gun to shrink the shrink sleeve over the new soldered joint. Much easier than replacing the entire harness. You could get one of these to place over the connection to the neutral switch. http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=302

I've had this erratic condition for some time now and attempted to get to the gearbox neutral detent switch after removing the fuel tank and airbox . . . couldn't even find it after all that effort. The condition isn't problematic unless you're parked with the side stand down with the engine on (and then not all the time), so I'm not that concerned with it. But it is annoying at times.

Now if I could just find a replacement Brembo front brake light switch . . . .

Just experienced the same "erratic neutral light" & associated PITA associated with leaving the bike idling on its kickstand. I searched this forum & found this thread - very handy. Just returned from fixing my problem & all is good. Just needed to slide the spade connector off the sensor which was in excellent condition along with the wire & rubber boot. The problem (I believe) was that the spade connector was a very loose fit & only held in place by the rubber boot. So a gentle squeeze with some needle nose pliers and some finger contortions to re-install the connection & boot and all seems fixed. Just returned from a 20km round trip for some fuel and no dramas - touch wood.:cool:

Back