• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear shock

nettshubby

Tuned and Synch'ed
In sevice manual, to remove rear shock. It says to "remove fork". Does that mean the fork shaped linkage under the shock?

Presumably when this is removed, and top bolt removed, the shock can be lifted/dropped out, yes?

Ray.

In sevice manual, to remove rear shock. It says to "remove fork". Does that mean the fork shaped linkage under the shock?

Presumably when this is removed, and top bolt removed, the shock can be lifted/dropped out, yes?

Ray.

Perhaps, but if you haven't greased the swing arm bearings yet drop out everything for easier access.

uh it is no where close to that easy, but if you remove the preload knob, and detach the top and bottom and turn it just right it will come out the left side, you have to remove the exhaust pipe and the luggage rack and the wheel,

I removed the links. Removed the knob. And I was able to get it out of the left side.
Took it to Traxxion Dynamics for a new spring and revalving.
I think I removed the rear tire when I went to install it to make life a bit easier.

I removed the links. Removed the knob. And I was able to get it out of the left side.
Took it to Traxxion Dynamics for a new spring and revalving.
I think I removed the rear tire when I went to install it to make life a bit easier.
Hi Wayne.
Any chance you can give some details of your rear Shock upgrade.
Thanks

Hi Wayne.
Any chance you can give some details of your rear Shock upgrade.
Thanks

Sure. Traxxion Dynamics is about an hour away. After some emails with them, I took off the shock. Then my wife and I drove over and they took one look at the passenger and know I needed a LOT more spring. :rofl:

From my initial emails, I was led to understand that they had a supply of springs in house. That was not so and they were going to have to order a spring. But they did have a take off from a Honda Goldwing. It was rated at 1000lb I believe. But it was a touch too long. they machined the valve body and relocated the upper spring mount for that longer spring. They revalved it, and tested the damping on their machine.
It is now perfect for two up. It is a little over sprung for solo. But I prefer that over the soft/limp ride I had before.
They know there stuff there for sure.

They also sell a 'shock sock' which I have had on the Stelvio for years that protects the shock from dirt and mud.

Traxxion is very good... and more so if you can drive there. In my experience to date, by the time you pay to ship your stock shock both directions, pay for the re-valve and spring, you are getting pretty close to a new bottom end shock (Wayne will say otherwise, but it's true for most everyone else that's done it) - in which most all other aftermarket shock options are superior in quality. Since the Stelvio is a $15k machine, I didn't feel the need to skimp when it came to suspension upgrades, and it certainly has been a great investment. I run the Matris R mono shock, and had the stock 50mm forks re-valved by (the now defunct U.S.) Marzocchi here in SoCal. Matris offers a drop-in cartridge kit for the '12+ Stelvio. Having ridden and raced on properly tuned suspension most of my life, it's one of the first things I focus on when getting a new bike. For the Stelvio offerings, see the online store >HERE< - or contact me direct with any questions. I happen to have a new in the box Matris KE+HYD shock sitting here for sale (ordered for a ~205# friend who was injured and can no longer ride) if anyone is interested, details/specs here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/stelvio-ke-hyd/ -- contact me direct email for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Martin at TD knows the stelvio now, I'd go cheap as the stelvio just will not hold up for many miles, so going good seems like a waste I love suspension but I have like $3 per mile in suspension which is pretty high. The Marz 45mm usd forks they used decimate fork bushings but TD can help ya there as well. they seem to last about 3-4,000mi in the stelvio.

Back