• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

08 Stelvio rear spring

Galway46

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
Bought the Stelvio a few months ago, just done a fair few miles with the wife, I would like to change the rear spring for an uprated one, can anyone help please, I need the measurement of the spring off the bike, with no weight at all on it. Does anyone have a spring knocking about that they could measure for length and internal width.

Looking at popping over to France in August, so it will be well loaded up, I understand the rear spring is quite soft and to be fair it is the weak link in the bike, other than that I find it superb,,,, Happy Days

Thanks very much, I did do a search, but it didn't find this link,,
Thanks
Col

The stock rear shock is a mid level sachs, and VERY DURABLE, it is just under sprung and over damped in this application
, any good shock builder can add a nitrogen bolt and rebuild

Quick note when spring shopping if you re-spring the factory rear which can be made to work well, and being in Europe you have many more folks familiar with sachs shocks, use ohlins 1091 series springs, these fit the factory rear shock, fit through the swingarm at all rates up to 1100lbs (which would be for a 500lb rider ha ha ). the 1091 is just a tad short so they would have to add a spacer which is just a ring if memory servers about 6mm tall

Just as a note for the builder, the rebound is ok up to about a 800lb spring as is (the stock is about 610lb), but actually you will want them to reduce the compression stack a bit or even better open a small bleed.,

incidently going up a bit on the fork springs really should be done at the same time,

with a load of about 325-350 lbs a 140-150 N/mm shock spring and 9.3-10N/mm fork springs is good for sharp handling, and still these let you run soft enough compression to take bumpy stuff and not get killed

the Stelvio is really one of the top handlers in its class on the road and very under rated on fire service and gravel roads.

Thanks uzidzit,
I really appreciate that, seem to be coming up against a brick wall with it all.
The shock itself, as you say is well sorted, maybe an upgrade or service of the oil would help, it's the spring itself that's soft, a local Guzzi dealer said he could acquire a Hyperpro spring for me, but to no avail, seems they don't produce them anymore, so I will do a search on the Ohlins 1091 series, failing all this I might be tempted to put a small spacer in place and try that, this will give me an idea of the rate etc,,,,
Many thanks and much appreciated,
Col

That's great uzidzit.
Col, could you keep us posted concerning your efforts.
I'm in Oz and my usual suspension guy wants to upgrade me to a Wilbers shock and Matris fronts but I'm not going to spend that amount.

the spacers are on order, should be here tomorrow ( Thursday), but also got in touch with Motogb, who Sponsor Kawasaki in BSB, Brian from Motogb has a spring in stock, 185mm in length, 57mm ID, 900ibs in spring weight, £49 all in. So I have also ordered the spring.
I am going to try a couple of things over the weekend.
Firstly, drop a 10mm spacer ring either below or above the standard spring, to see how much preload and rebound gain I can get from this, as the spacers are only £8 each, this could be a decent fix for low money !!!!!!
Secondly, I am going to install the new spring, and try the same, same roads etc, I will try the same standard factory settings the same on the 2 experiments, fully loaded, two up etc.
Someone may have tried this route, and will no doubt point out a thread, but I will give it a go, as I am very nosey :wait:
Then I will look at the front end, as uzidzit mentioned, if we don't try, we never succeed :hi:

Happy Days:)

the spacer with the stock spring will not help as that does not increase the rate, it may raise the ride height and may coil bind the spacer is really for the replacement so it can have the correct preload set

You need to replace the spring, as above post a spacer won't help. I changed the spring which I was told was rated 100 n to a 140 n (Ohlins do it as a straight replacement). Huge improvement for not a lot of money.

Back