• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

am I nuts? ... Bolts or... not your typical tire thread...

yukonica

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Never even considered researching this topic before posting because I can't believe anyone else could have been bothered.

Question: What are the total numbers of the various metric bolts used in assembling a current model V7?

My interest began immediately after a passerby noticed my left shock lower bolt was ... beheaded. Probably the result of being over torqued on my last tire change. Or, it could have been the result of 'that huge burble' when hitting a frost-heave fully loaded at (ahem) speed. Regardless; my shock was held in place by the grace of God and a headless grade five sleeved bolt. Until the moment my Californian friend was appreciating my Mupo shocks.

So now, I'm in the hunt to identify key fasteners that I will duplicate and freezer pack (hopefully to sit unused) in the drop pan of my panniers. Rather embararassing to be rescued in a parking lot of your home town by a guy on his way back from Prudhoe Bay.

For three reasons, Kym.
1 "to identify key fasteners". In my very limited (7k km) experience with this marque; my bike has spit off a gear lever, loosened a valve retaining nut, broken a shock bolt and seized a bolt on the alternator cover. Let's just say I want to be prepared for any eventuality.
2 "Rather embararassing to be rescued in a parking lot of your home town" ... see point 1.
2(a) I live and ride where cell service for 'rescue' is simply not part of the equation; it doesn't exist for hundreds of km at a stretch.
3 I'm curious. I also believe there is little point in duplicating what may already exist. Unless I toss the question out for discussion I won't know if I'm replicating work. And if this information can be of help to some other person then it is doubly worthwhile.
This little bike has the potential to be a really strong long distance touring machine. Choosing carefully which items are likely to be needed and which are just ballast is part of learning to be self sufficient at the road-side.
cheers.

Just get a selection of common metric thread sizes nuts & bolts. M4, M5, M6, M8 & M10 as a start and add M3, M7 & M12 if you have space. Get long 'set screw' bolts that are threaded the entire length (= no plain shank) and carry a hacksaw blade to cut them to length. That will cover most eventualities. I use vice grip pliers to hold either the hacksaw blade or bolts for sawing & wind a nut on first and unscrew it to clean up the cut end after you've cut it.
PS: My old Ducati uses some difficult to source 'metric fine' fixings but luckily I don't think Guzzi ever fell into that trap !!

Excellent solution Will, thanks.
My panniers have a false floor that leaves about 3/4" space along the bottom. I'm going to card and seal a selection of repair supplies to leave in there.

Guzzi uses more odd sized metrics outside of 8 & 10 (which is has plenty of those too), but 7, 11, 13, 15 & 17 I'd carry too. For the allens, stop by a bicycle shop and grab one of those all-in-ones that has most all of them on it. That should cover most everything you'll need outside of a screw driver and related. There's a handful of really good complete moto tool kits available commercially these days. Once I get all of my existing products online, I'll seek some out to have here as well.

This is actually a good idea for a thread. The only problems I have had with my Racer is with bolts. I have replaced the two upper triple clamp bolts with M10x50 stainless allen bolts because of the poor quality (I mutilated the heads installing my headlight/gauge lowering kit), the rear axle pinch bolt with the same M10x50 (deeper head for more allen wrench engagement), and the 4 bolts that held those pretty little exhaust pipe hangars. Those last 4 pulled the threads out with the bolts because someone had over tightened them. I ended up tapping the holes and backing new bolts up with nuts. I also had a 10mm bolt fall out of the rear set (shifter) half way thru a trip. A quick stop at Home Depot and a set of allen wrenches saved the ride.

So yeah, check your bolts periodically for tightness, carry a set of wrenches and a few spare bolts. Of course when something does fall out you will be 100 miles from a replacement without the correct tools. Life just works that way.

Back