• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 V7 racer questions

NWJ611

Just got it firing!
Hi, I'm a new member w/ 2012 racer #217. I've had the bike a little over a year but only have about 800 miles on it. I've been reading other posts and seems like a lot of people have had hot/lean running issues. My bike has had some of these issues, including generally running hot, blue pipes, a surging sensation on a trailing throttle, and sometimes needing a little throttle to start and run after an immediate hot restart, but overall seemed to run fine (no backfires or anything like that). About a month ago I took it in for its first service and mentioned this. The bike is 100% stock. The dealer recommended an ECU reflash, which I decided to do. Riding home from the dealer (its a 65 mile ride) the yellow engine light came on. I pulled over, called the dealer, they said sometimes it takes a while after an ECU reflash for things to "settle in" (I'm paraphrasing; this is my first injected bike and I don't know much about electronics). While I was talking to them, I started it up again and after a minute of idling the light went out so I decided to keep going. The light came on again later and the same thing happened after letting it cool for a few minutes. I have ridden two more times since then and the light will come on after 20 or 30 miles. If I let it sit for a couple of minutes and restart, the light will go out after a minute or so of idling. There are no unusual sounds, no loss of power or anything else that is truly alarming. However, the engine seems extremely hot when this happens (unfortunately, I don't have an infrared thermo). The pipes are a very deep blue/purple shade, darker than any pipes I've ever seen (which admittedly is not that many).
Also, this may or may not be related, but there is oil dripping from the bottom of the oil pan and the evap canister. It's not enough to cause a noticeable change in the oil level.The dealer attributed this to a leaky valve cover gasket, which seems very dubious as I see no oil around the top of the engine. In any event, this did not stop the leak.
I'm planning on taking it back to the dealer this weekend (hopefully I can get there w/o any further trouble). The dealer said they can try the remap again.
I don't have much confidence that this dealer knows what they're doing (they are a Ducati/Triumph dealer that picked up Guzzi just last summer), but they are by far the closest dealer, and I don't see that I have much choice since they did the remap.
Any thoughts/suggestions as to what is going on and/or what I should expect from the dealer would be most appreciated.
And thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

My suggestion is to find a different dealer or service agent. Electronics don't "settle in", they either function correctly or not. Did he just do a factory map update or put in a non stock map? Reflash can be tricky if it isn't the factory map update. If it continues you may want to contact Todd for a good reflash for the V7. As for the oil leak, check the oil filter cover, oil pan gasket, drain plug, and cylinder base area. Also check for an over full condition as it may be blowing oil out.

BTW, listing your state or country in your profile/header would assist in suggestions on where to have service performed. Listing only a city leaves allot of doubt as to where you are.

As John said, I don't trust a reflash from a dealer that's new w Guzzi.
You might ask for a return to the factory map, since everyone knows that.

I'm not sure you have a problem at all, but there's no harm in try some fueling modifications that aren't too expensive and are reversible. FatDuc, Memjet, and other 02 sensor mods are inexpensive, and easily taken out. More expensive and complete mods by Guzzitech, PowerCommander, and others are another option for more coin.

Re the oil drip: if the oil level is too high, oil ends up in the airbox, where it'll drip out in unexpected areas. This happens to me if the oil level is at the Full mark, so I fill it to slightly less. But watch the oil level, as you don't want to go dry! (Leaky valve covers will drip in unexpected areas too, so it could still be that).

Keep us posted,
Joe

Thanks for the suggestions.

John, I'm not sure whether the remap was just to stock specs, but they told me it was supposed to make it run richer and therefore cooler so it doesn't seem like that would be a stock remap. (obviously, it hasn't helped, and if anything has made it worse)
I'll try to get more info about that.

Also I updated my profile to show my location is Virginia. I didn't realize that wasn't on there.

This dealer is 65 miles away. Last time I checked, there was only 1 other dealer in VA, much farther away. There is a dealer near Baltimore MD, but based on a recent post by another new member, it sounds like it's best to stay away from that dealer.

Joe, can you explain what you mean when you say I may not have a problem? By that do you mean the check engine light might be coming on for no reason?

I know from reading other posts there are potential solutions out there and I may have to pusue that avenue. But right now I feel like i shouldn't have to spend more money on a new bike just to make it run properly. It should already do that! I bought this bike because it's one of a very few modern bikes that is not a cruiser and doesn't look like some mutant insect. I was expecting to not have to spend any time or money on this bike (other than routine maintenance) for a long time.

Thanks again,

Jim

Unfortunately good mechanics at dealers are becoming hard to find. Your next best bet looks to be a day away here: http://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/ If you choose not to go the dealer route it looks like you may need to become your own mechanic and consult with Todd on getting a good map into your ECU for starters.

Jim,
What I meant by "not a problem" was that because of lean mapping to meet emissions standards, many new bikes have blue pipes and some surging at low speeds. Sure, fueling modifications make it run better, but lean running is the new normal. I know you don't want to spend more money, and you don't have to. It's just make it run a little better, that's all.

The check engine light is A Real Problem, and the dealer that did the reflash should either solve it or set you back to the factory map. He really should.

Please keep me posted on the results,
Joe

I actually am my own mechanic for the most part. I've had a variety of antique cars and my other cycle is a BMW airhead that I've never had to take to a dealer or mechainc in the 17 years I've owned it. The reason I did go to a dealer this time is because I wanted the break-in service to be documented and because it's still under warranty. Once I get these issues sorted out (hopefully) I don't plan on going to a dealer again. Part of the reason I bought this bike is because it's a new bike but in many ways not really very "modern". Unfortunately, the one area where it is modern is something I know little about.
As long as the dealer can fix the check engine light issue I can probably live with the lean running, as this is not a bike that I ride all that often, although at some point in the future when spending $500 or so on it doesn't seem like such a big deal I may look into Todd's reflash or other solutions.
Thanks again for the advice and I'll keep you posted.
Jim

Jim,
That's exactly what I did. My other bike is a '58 BMW R50, and I wanted a modern "old" bike. Guzzi smallblocks are perfect. Old style pushrods engines, with a minimum of complicated electrics.

When you want to tinker with the Guzzi, there are aftermarket ECUs that give you full control of the engine, like MyECU. There are also inexpensive computer programs that emulate the dealership ones, that let you reset functions, look at the error codes, etc. The one I use is Vehicle Diagnostic Software (VDST) by Technoresearch, but there is a shareware version called Ducatidiag/Guzzdiag. Fyi, Technoresearch's latest version is Centurion (I think).

Joe

Joe,

Thank you so VERY much. Do you have any advice on how to use the application?

I have not taken my bike apart yet as it is brand new but am wondering how to connect the laptop to the ECU??? or the diagnostic port. What cables are needed and where is the bloody thing anyway. :D

Marc

lomax said:
Joe,

Thank you so VERY much. Do you have any advice on how to use the application?

I have not taken my bike apart yet as it is brand new but am wondering how to connect the laptop to the ECU??? or the diagnostic port. What cables are needed and where is the bloody thing anyway. :D

Marc

Marc,
Which application? I mentioned several. If you already have one, let me know and I'll help. To begin;

For Technoresearch's program, you get the connecting cable when you buy it from Technoresearch.

For Ducatidiag/Guzzidiag, it's a user supported project. Get in touch with the developers, who can be found on the V11Lemans forum and WildGuzzi forum.

For MeECU, it's from Cliff Jefferies of Australia. A search will bring up his site and forum as well.

Joe

Joe, Thanks,

For now at least I got the Guzzidiag and the cables for it. I will hook it up when everything arrives and see if I can get it to communicate first. I am probably ???? not interested in remapping but would like to work error codes and reset TPS if needed. Some general maintenance stuff like that. Who knows, experiments may ensue LOL:

Marc

A quick update:
I managed to make it to the dealer over the weekend; the light only came on once and just a couple miles from the dealer. After letting it sit a few minutes it went out and I continued on my way. They were apolegetic and said they would make it right. I sure hope they can.
I did ask them about the reflash; they didn't give me a lot of details but they did say it is not the factory map and apparently bypasses the O2 sensor. Does anybody know if that's good or bad? Or is that not enough information?

I'll give more details once I hear more.

lomax said:
Joe, Thanks,

For now at least I got the Guzzidiag and the cables for it. I will hook it up when everything arrives and see if I can get it to communicate first. I am probably ???? not interested in remapping but would like to work error codes and reset TPS if needed. Some general maintenance stuff like that. Who knows, experiments may ensue LOL:

Marc

OK now for the stupid question. Does anyone know where the diagnostic ports are on a 12 Stelvio and a 13 V7 ??

The 12 Stelvio is on the right side under the seat back from the battery and the 13 V7 is right under the seat out in the open. :idea:

Marc

Well it's been quite a while but but I did get the bike back after they remapped the ECU again. So far it does seem better, the check engine light hasn't come on anyway, although I've only had one ride of any significant distance since, and it wasn't real hot that day, so still not 100% sure that it's fixed. Now that cooler weather is here, I probably won't know for sure until next summer.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jim

Well it's been quite a while but but I did get the bike back after they remapped the ECU again. So far it does seem better, the check engine light hasn't come on anyway, although I've only had one ride of any significant distance since, and it wasn't real hot that day, so still not 100% sure that it's fixed. Now that cooler weather is here, I probably won't know for sure until next summer.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I've got 2012 v7 racer #218. I just had a re-flash done and my check engine light came on during my first test ride after the reflash. I'm curious after reading your thread - did you ever get an explanation for your intermittent check engine light problem? has it come back on since? I did disconnect the O2 sensor and pull it out of the harness.

Thanks,
-Chris

Hi Jim,
I've got 2012 v7 racer #218. I just had a re-flash done and my check engine light came on during my first test ride after the reflash. I'm curious after reading your thread - did you ever get an explanation for your intermittent check engine light problem? has it come back on since? I did disconnect the O2 sensor and pull it out of the harness.

Thanks,
-Chris

Hi Chris,
Sorry I didn't see your post before - I've been busy tinkering w/ an old BMW K100 I bought last winter and haven't really been monitoring this Forum. Anyway, that's cool that you have #218. As for the issues I was having last year, once they did the 2nd reflash I've had no more problems. In fact the bike has been doing real well and I have no complaints. One caveat, however, is that this past summer was much milder than '13 and there were no excessively hot days that I rode, so still not 100% certain. The only explanation they gave was that there must have been some kind of software glitch and/or download error with the orignial reflash. Nothing more specific than that. So if you haven't aleready, hopefully the dealer (or whoever) can redo the reflash.
Take care,
Jim

Back