• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1200 Sport - Norge handling.

Ben Alto

Just got it firing!
Hi All,

I bought my first Guzzi in March a shiney new 1200 sport ABS. 250 miles in 2 days....and it was up for sale. No really. I hated it...with a passion. 2 weeks getting my back sorted, and a bike that dragged its bum and squirmed at the slightest hint of a corner. After many many years of building race bikes to a very high level and having all my bike handle well it was simply, horrid.
I didnt expect much but this was way worse than bad. So bad I didn't ride it for 2 months...as I contemplated its fate.
So I went to 3 dealers and test rode other bikes. The same. Those of you thinking "why didnt you test before you purchased"....well I did but it was winter and it felt ok in the depths of a dry but cold December. I was also restricted to a Stelvio for test as there were NO and are still NO SPORT 1200 test bikes in the UK. Different sort of bike and handling but the engine is the same and I liked that..something different.
Ok so....having paid my money and being someone well known for making bikes from scratch and ones renowned for their handling what could I do? Make it handle of course!
So if you want a sport 1200 or Norge (same bike but with fairings) here is what you do.

Junk the rear shock...it can not be saved and is pure rubbish. It is a penny pinching cheap piece of poo. The spring rate and damping are just simply wrong!
Go to Nitron Shocks and buy a new shock. We have worked with Nitron to up the spring rate and length and make the damping work. I personally have the all singing 3 way damped version but the other types they do will definitely improve the situation a 1000 fold.
So now it goes around corners.....off the side of the tyres with out the pegs decking and turns. There was indeed a nice bike under there just waiting to be freed.

Comfort. at 6' 1" I am a little taller than some (and shorter than others) but found the seat to peg height was too cramped. I there for went to my seat man (Mick the Trim) and got him to add 60mm to the seat using a combination of harder foams and memory foam. The pillion got more too...my wife was very pleased. WHile I was at it we redesigned the new cover to match the nice plastic cover that covers the pillion cover...but stupidly you never see if you carry a pillion because its left in the garage!!
Now I have a comfy seat, bum and legs AND a bike that goes around corners.

Front forks. Ahhhhhhhhhhh right way up and damping in one side and rebound in the other. REALLY. this is ok in 2014. Lets make a wooden wheel and bolt that on. I dont think so.
So forks gutted and proper cartridges fitted/modified. took a bit of doing but now..the bike glides over bumps rather than beating me to death.
I can put the pictures and mods online if any one is interested.....
Now the Guzzi is one of my favourite bikes ....ever. Sure it vibes a bit...but that is character and I can live with that.

My credentials....for telling anyone what they can do and that the bike was not handling...? Well you judge if I know what I am doing... www.altoracing.co.uk.
If your interested I just want to help others have as much fun as I am now having...touring with the odd blown away Jap bike for fun. You should see their faces!!

Ben

20140606 160915

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a racer by any stretch of the imagination but the difference in my Norge when I had cartridges installed in the forks and a Hyperpro shock on the rear was amazing. Now I will also say it was not until I took a 600 mile trip through the curvey roads of West Virginia that it grew on me. For the several hundred miles prior it was on the edge of leaving. I rode it several hundred miles before that on short rides and probably 7,000 miles before the suspension upgrade.
As I have a 28" (711mm) inseam adding foam to the seat is out of the question but even I thought peg to seat was short. The Norge is gone now but the vibes you have will be half as bad at 5,000 miles (8,000km) and continue to decrease. When I sold it at 26,000 miles (41,800km) it was as smooth as my Honda PC800.

Folks here have heard me preach this since ~'07 or so. Simply the best money you can spend on any modern Guzzi. I have plenty top-shelf offerings in the Store here, with pricing from mild to wild. Happy to answer any questions direct email prior to purchase; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Now Ben, fix the fueling with my fuel offering here, and you'll really enjoy it.

I have noticed the handling could be better on my 07 having come from a 2003 Ducati Multistrada which was viceral and sharp compared to the Guzzi but then I did need something to slow me down.
Whilst 2 up the lack of capability cornering wise and the grounding on the centre stand was annoying so I think I will be following your suggestions, Cheers Ben much appreciated.

Ben, I'd love to read and see more about your suspension mods. I hate the way my forks behave but seem to cope with my rear shock at the moment - although, as Todd said to me, I'll probably hate the shock too as soon as I have the front end sorted.

So I am looking at my options here, including Todd's offerings, but I have to manage this within a reasonable budget...

Todd talked me into the suspension upgrade shortly after I got a few miles on her and I couldn't be happier. At that time, the trick setup for the street was the HyperPro rear shock and spring that were matched to my riding weight and style, progressive front springs and cartridge emulators. Makes it a completely different bike, and well worth it. Mine was about $1K back in '09 so I'm sure it's a bit more these days.

Shortly thereafter I also did a bit of a fueling upgrade that is no longer available, but worked (and still does) for my needs.

Oh yes, and get rid of the Metzler tires. I've been running Dunlop RoadSmarts since I wore out the Z6s. The difference in confidence is amazing. Between the tires and the suspension upgrade, I'm definitely the limiting factor on how well the Norge performs.

jdg

Ben, thanks for bringing your experience to this forum. I think anyone that has made some mods to the suspension realises there are big handling gains to be had.

I am sure there are many on this forum like me that want to keep the cost down as much as possible and explore what can be done with the least money. So far I have only fitted a Hyperpro progressive spring to the standard rear shock and it has already made a big difference. If you did nothing else then this would give the biggest gains for very little money, around $180 USD. I still have an issue where my compression damping feels a little soft and the rebound is maybe just enough. I am not an expert in this field so would really appreciate your thoughts (or others) on exactly what is wrong with the standard setup so I can experiment in the right direction. My weight is 110kg.

Regarding the front end, if you were to do that on a budget (say under $400), what would you do? Can anything be done with oil weight and quantity to get it in the right place? Currently my front end is a bit firm (slightly jarring), but doesn't nose dive so I can live with it. I think it has 10 weight oil in it. I'll swap it out shortly and start playing around with it so any advice would be welcome.

Regarding the Nitron Shock, what model (weight/length/fittings) did you choose, as Moto Guzzi is not listed as a brand on the Nitron Site?

Again many thanks for your thoughts. And yes some photos would be great.

I got a Penske for the rear, Matris up font, PC V, auto tune and ECU refresh (all from Todd) and my '07 Norge, with 50K miles, handles even better than my Aprilia Tuono in the twisties.

Just my

Hi All,

Go to Nitron Shocks and buy a new shock. We have worked with Nitron to up the spring rate and length and make the damping work. I personally have the all singing 3 way damped version but the other types they do will definitely improve the situation a 1000 fold.

Front forks. So forks gutted and proper cartridges fitted/modified. took a bit of doing but now..the bike glides over bumps rather than beating me to death.
I can put the pictures and mods online if any one is interested.....
Now the Guzzi is one of my favourite bikes ....ever. Sure it vibes a bit...but that is character and I can live with that.

My credentials....for telling anyone what they can do and that the bike was not handling...? Well you judge if I know what I am doing... www.altoracing.co.uk.
If your interested I just want to help others have as much fun as I am now having...touring with the odd blown away Jap bike for fun. You should see their faces!!

Ben

View attachment 7290

Hi Ben,

As a fellow1200 Sport 4V rider in the UK (Scotland) I would be interested to know the details of what you did to improve your suspension.
Cheers,
Riversider

Ok Ben, there is one further improvement to make ..................................
BST HUBS 3 010   Copy

Absolutely manic in its responsiveness to change of direction.

Front forks on the Sport are DEPENDENT on the correct amount and weight of oil in them. As shipped mine had around 330ml per leg (mine wallowed badly with this amount of oil). This is shy of the recommendations of 480ml per leg. Currently I have 7.5 weight oil in the forks, compression at minimum (yeah the endstop - she won't go any further) with rebound around the middle. It is a bit harsh on the goat tracks here in Oztralia. I currently have 490ml in each leg.

I am about to go back to 5 weight oil at 490-500ml per leg so I can have some adjustment in compression again and should be a better option for our roads. A progressive rate spring would also be of benefit. Get the oil amount and weight right before you start doing anything else.

Todd can probably add some pearls of wisdom to this discussion - he has been there, done that!

This is exactly what I found when I went away recently. Bike loaded up is horrific in the suspension. (particularly rear) Nuked my centrestand from scraping too. :( Not sure how many clams I want to spend on this bike. My Jap bikes are far better standard. :(

Back