• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Downshifting 2013 Stelvio question

lschultz

Tuned and Synch'ed
If this has been discussed before I ain't found it yet. Just had the 1000 mile service done on Stelvio. It was downshifting like any other motorsickle do me. When we picked it up (MPH Houston) my son was riding it home he also bought 2013 Stelvio from MPH too and has already had his 1000 mile service done. He told me when we pulled off of I 10 to get some gas and something to eat it did not want to downshift. If you are coming to a stop and lets say you are about to stop and start downshifting it does not want to downshift you feel nothing in shift lever. If you rev it up some it will start downshifting. If you are coming to a stop and start downshifting and let the clutch out and use engine braking it will downshift like it should. Shifts fine upshifting. They put Amsoil 75w90 in the transmission. Now I have been using Amsoil many a year and never had any problems in different bikes I have had. Although one HD I had was still kinda clunkie and I put Redline shockproof in the tranny and it did quite it down some. My son runs Redline in the Harley's he has for years. I know these Guzzi's are different but before he put the Amsoil it did shift better. Thats one of the first things I noticed about the Stelvio when I rode it how much easier it was to shift than the Harley's I have had and the Indian I have now. When I ride the KLX650 I have to get use to shifting it compared to the Guzzi. Is this the way the Guzzi's are or am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you are allowing the shifter to fully return to the middle position (ie. take your boot off). Happened to me after I adjusted the shifter. Was not letting the shifter fully return on the upshift or down shift and did the exact same thing you are talking about. Try that first. There is a cam adjuster on the toe of the shifter if you need more/less room. If that is not the cause, then look deeper. The gearbox is still new and will loosen up more over time. It could be just a case of breaking in. These gearboxes are pretty bullet proof. The oils you are talking about have all been run in these gearboxes and have not caused any problems that I am aware of.

Make sure you are allowing the shifter to fully return to the middle position (ie. take your boot off). Happened to me after I adjusted the shifter. Was not letting the shifter fully return on the upshift or down shift and did the exact same thing you are talking about. Try that first. There is a cam adjuster on the toe of the shifter if you need more/less room. If that is not the cause, then look deeper. The gearbox is still new and will loosen up more over time. It could be just a case of breaking in. These gearboxes are pretty bullet proof. The oils you are talking about have all been run in these gearboxes and have not caused any problems that I am aware of.
10-4 I will try this. I have been shifting it like I shift my other bikes. I know the Guzzi is different from what I am use to. But I like it. Thanks for the heads up.

I would first check the linkages and make sure they are tight. And as mentioned, make sure you aren't touching the shifter preventing it from returning to the center. Maybe a linkage adjustment will fix it up.
As for the 'Guzzi is different', that is true of the older 5 speed transmission. But the Stelvio 6 speed is generally much like the oriental bikes I have owned in feel.

I had an '08 which started to complain about downshifting at about 2,500 miles. The thing was still in warranty so I booked it into the shop. The gearbox fixing pin (GU05234931) had partially worked loose, protruding into the shift cluster. No one has ever reported this anywhere that I can see, but as soon as it was fixed I had no more trouble for another 25k miles, until an uninsured *person* knocked the thing from under me a month ago. (I'm awaiting delivery of another '08 Stelvio as we speak! Love the things!!! I'll have to change the picture - the new one's black.)

Back