• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Tolerant Bunch

rockywidge

Just got it firing!
My turn to rant and must admit it's been a while which is good . I've owned a Norge , a Griso and now a Stelvio and also have a great old Eldo which I'm liking more and more after reading all these posts . My clutch on the my 012 Stelvio is doing what the rest of them are doing when they are no damn good . The bike developed starteritis on a run this summer . Pretty damn embarrassing with my buds on older bikes that run when its 102 degrees in a parking lot and your trying to hit the road . On and on it goes yet I keep riding these damn bikes because I love them . My question is and I probably already know the answer " when will they get it right? "
Seems something is screwy in Italy , whether the quality of their engineering , quality control in general or maybe they've hired some lads from the Norton factory ! I just wish they would clean up their act and produce a bike that will run past it's best before date (warranty) . It's a damn shame and I am finally at the point where I'm thinking of changing steeds just for peace of mind and knowing I'm going to get home problem free . Why do other manufactures have problem free bikes and Moto Guzzi doesn't ? I'm no Pete Roper on a wrench which is probably why I shouldn't own one of these and at this stage in life have no intention of learning the trade . I know I'm not alone here and sure would enjoy some fellowship in this stew . What , if anything can the bunch of us do to change this ongoing pain in the ass situation ? i give up and will be looking at alternative rides in the New Year although I've been known to change my mind a lot on this issue , lol .

Feel better.:mad: I here you. This is the first Guzzi I have owned been on two wheels for 40+ yrs had a few Jap bikes and a Norton 850,Yamaha 650 then starting riding Harleys bought a Victory sold it so I could buy a 2012 Indian Chief Vintage have a Kawasaki KLR650 too and just bought the 2013 Stelvio back in March me thinks. My son bought one too he is the one that got me interested in the Stelvio. Ain't really had no problems with it just putting fuses on the for lights and putting locktite on things that seem to come lose.I got a little over 1000 miles son has probably 1300-1400 on his he rides it to work some times (72 miles one way). We bought them at MPH in Houston. Seems like my has started to have a bit of a downshifting problem when you get to down to 3 or 4th. I am just going to put more miles on it and see if it gets any better if not it go back to the shop. Son has no problems with his so figure that one out. He has three other bikes (Softail, KLR 650, and custom built choper). We getting ready to go to Barber Museum Alabama and ride some thru Georgia leaving end of Oct. I think then make our way back to Texas. We going on the back roads stay off the interstates if possible. Fellow going with us rides a Harley. See how the Stelvios do on this trip. Dam I kinda got off the subject guess that what happens when you get some yrs on you.:nod:

Feel better.:mad: I here you. This is the first Guzzi I have owned been on two wheels for 40+ yrs had a few Jap bikes and a Norton 850,Yamaha 650 then starting riding Harleys bought a Victory sold it so I could buy a 2012 Indian Chief Vintage have a Kawasaki KLR650 too and just bought the 2013 Stelvio back in March me thinks. My son bought one too he is the one that got me interested in the Stelvio. Ain't really had no problems with it just putting fuses on the for lights and putting locktite on things that seem to come lose.I got a little over 1000 miles son has probably 1300-1400 on his he rides it to work some times (72 miles one way). We bought them at MPH in Houston. Seems like my has started to have a bit of a downshifting problem when you get to down to 3 or 4th. I am just going to put more miles on it and see if it gets any better if not it go back to the shop. Son has no problems with his so figure that one out. He has three other bikes (Softail, KLR 650, and custom built choper). We getting ready to go to Barber Museum Alabama and ride some thru Georgia leaving end of Oct. I think then make our way back to Texas. We going on the back roads stay off the interstates if possible. Fellow going with us rides a Harley. See how the Stelvios do on this trip. Dam I kinda got off the subject guess that what happens when you get some yrs on you.:nod:
That's a bunch of bikes ! I've had my share of old British iron in the past , had a 750 Honda that ran great but was boring as hell . My Stelvio has about 8500 miles on it and the clutch problem just started a few days ago although it's always had that groan when cold which made me wonder right out of the gate . I never had any problems with the 08 Norge (older motor ) and the Griso was ok but had warranty issues which the dealer looked after . We have a great dealer which helps but its a day trip to get there and have to stay over night which I don't mind as is an excuse to get out of town for a ride . Hope your trip goes well without any problems . I've never been to Texas but maybe someday :)

I feel the same way. I have a 1998 Honda Pacific Coast in the garage that I am keeping mainly because I trust the Guzzi California to do something stupid. Already had to fix the starter ground an get rid of the moaning. The rear wheel was rusted on when I tried to remove it. I had a Norge for 3 years and 26,000 miles but sold it due to not trusting it. I always had Japanese bikes and went over them in the winter then rode the rest of the year. The Norge was gone over in the winter. Refused to start for the first ride of the year.(a wiring problem they have had since 1978 or earlier) then was back on the lift a couple more times. Lost my butt selling it but the guy who bought it says it has been no trouble. No resale value on the new ones. The old ones hold their value.

I've always had a soft spot for the Pacific . There is one in town here and is well looked after and never stops running well . They are a great looking bike .
I do resent the resale value on my Stelvio and this has probably stopped me from shopping around . It doesn't help when you can't trust the bike as a seller when negotiating with a prospective buyer . I didn't do too badly on selling the Norge with the old motor but would lose my shirt selling the Stelvio .
I was sure smitten when the new Cal came out and surprised about your issues but then again why the heck would I be , its a Guzzi !
I'm with you on wanting to keep all my previous bikes . Every time I sell one its like losing my right arm and would feel the same way parting with the Stelvio problems and all ! I sure hope this clutch thing is a warranty issue and will find out soon enough and will post when I do . I've been a member here for several years but haven't posted in a long time so my profile was deleted or something . I have four bikes now , 012 Stelvio , 75 850 T , 74 Norton Commando and a 73 Eldo . I'm a bugger for punishment !
Good luck with your California and hope the quirks are over but ya , good idea keeping the Pacific close by !

I can not speak about the new Jap bikes well hell I can I got a 2013 KLR 650 and done a few mods to it and they are fairly strong runners for what they are. Have not took any long trips on it. Again my son bought one so I did too got a little better deal when we bought them. He rides his to work some times 144 miles round trip gets 50 mpg or better on it. I started on a 1959 NSU Quickly moped 1.5 hp seems that thing was always breaking something. I bought it used and the throttle cable was broke so I had to ride it with one hand till I got another throttle cable. You had reach down on the cable an pull up on it to give it throttle. From there I went to a Honda 50 Cub then bigger Hondas etc, Dam after reading all this about the Guzzis got me to wondering. I remember in the early 70's friend of mine that was a motorcycle cop in Austin was riding a Guzzi back then when they were using those bikes. He said the cops were having problems with them but them boys run em hard. I don't know what I click on but this under this thread come up. Hmmm

I've always had a soft spot for the Pacific . There is one in town here and is well looked after and never stops running well . They are a great looking bike .
I do resent the resale value on my Stelvio and this has probably stopped me from shopping around . It doesn't help when you can't trust the bike as a seller when negotiating with a prospective buyer . I didn't do too badly on selling the Norge with the old motor but would lose my shirt selling the Stelvio .
I was sure smitten when the new Cal came out and surprised about your issues but then again why the heck would I be , its a Guzzi !
I'm with you on wanting to keep all my previous bikes . Every time I sell one its like losing my right arm and would feel the same way parting with the Stelvio problems and all ! I sure hope this clutch thing is a warranty issue and will find out soon enough and will post when I do . I've been a member here for several years but haven't posted in a long time so my profile was deleted or something . I have four bikes now , 012 Stelvio , 75 850 T , 74 Norton Commando and a 73 Eldo . I'm a bugger for punishment !
Good luck with your California and hope the quirks are over but ya , good idea keeping the Pacific close by !

Last edited:
My clutch on the my 012 Stelvio is doing what the rest of them are doing when they are no damn good .
The bike developed starteritis on a run this summer ..

What is it that your clutch is doing that 'the rest of them are doing'?

What is starteritis?

What is it that your clutch is doing that 'the rest of them are doing'?

What is starteritis?
Clutch noise indicating something is wrong , maybe a detached spring but according to this forum there is a possibility it was doomed in the first place . Its always made a noise when engaged cold but now its obvious something is really wrong as rattles loudly but still working .
Starteritis is occuring in some Stelvios , mine for the first time this summer . Stopped for lunch with the group third day out , came out to leave and nothing but a clicking sound when trying to start . Thought the battery connection was the problem . It was not . After several tries bum starting it in 100 degree heat we gave up . Then to our amazement it just started . Apparently there is a by-pass circuit that you can buy to cure this but i understand it works on the 09 model but not necessarily on newer models . This happened several times on our trip . It hasn't happened since and wonder if the heat had something to do with it . Pretty cool here on Vancouver Island and never gets much warmer than 80 in the summer .It's going to the dealer for service and is still under warranty and hoping these problems will be taken care of !

I can not speak about the new Jap bikes well hell I can I got a 2013 KLR 650 and done a few mods to it and they are fairly strong runners for what they are. Have not took any long trips on it. Again my son bought one so I did too got a little better deal when we bought them. He rides his to work some times 144 miles round trip gets 50 mpg or better on it. I started on a 1959 NSU Quickly moped 1.5 hp seems that thing was always breaking something. I bought it used and the throttle cable was broke so I had to ride it with one hand till I got another throttle cable. You had reach down on the cable an pull up on it to give it throttle. From there I went to a Honda 50 Cub then bigger Hondas etc, Dam after reading all this about the Guzzis got me to wondering. I remember in the early 70's friend of mine that was a motorcycle cop in Austin was riding a Guzzi back then when they were using those bikes. He said the cops were having problems with them but them boys run em hard. I don't know what I click on but this under this thread come up. Hmmm
The Eldo is a great bike . It just likes to keep on running and I've had no issues with it so far . I guess the cops used them back in the 70s because the Harleys of the day were too unreliable !

Clutch noise indicating something is wrong , maybe a detached spring but according to this forum there is a possibility it was doomed in the first place . Its always made a noise when engaged cold but now its obvious something is really wrong as rattles loudly but still working .
Starteritis is occuring in some Stelvios , mine for the first time this summer . Stopped for lunch with the group third day out , came out to leave and nothing but a clicking sound when trying to start . Thought the battery connection was the problem . It was not . After several tries bum starting it in 100 degree heat we gave up . Then to our amazement it just started . Apparently there is a by-pass circuit that you can buy to cure this but i understand it works on the 09 model but not necessarily on newer models . This happened several times on our trip . It hasn't happened since and wonder if the heat had something to do with it . Pretty cool here on Vancouver Island and never gets much warmer than 80 in the summer .It's going to the dealer for service and is still under warranty and hoping these problems will be taken care of !

My turn to rant..............

As far as the clutch is concerned, don't believe everything your read on the forum. The all make the noise eventually, and does not always means it will implode. If you loose play in the clutch, it does not mean you clutch is going to implode, it means that it may be time to change the fluid. If the clutch rattle, it does not mean it will implode, it means you have a dry clutch and they do that. If the gear box rattles a little when the clutch lever is out in neutral, it is normal.....I can go on an on....

As for the starter, you have a loose ground somewhere. My guess is at the starter. The starter ineruptis was for the earlier models that had a relay to keep the starter running until the bike starter. The 2012 does not have this. 99% of starting problems is a dying battery or a loose ground. Could also be your starter is dirty. Had mine changed out because of clutch dust. Cleaned the old one and run beautifully.

Before you condemn your bike because of what you read on the forums, take it to a good dealer and have them listen to it. The forums are like trying to diagnose a sickness on the internet. The more you read, the more you think you have a terminal disease, when in reality, you have a cold.

What is your clutch doing....

Last edited:
Starteritis is occuring in some Stelvios , mine for the first time this summer .

Or you could just take the starter off and clean the solenoid, and go ride.
The "startus interuptus" is because they route the solenoid current through the ignition switch, and other things. That way it the starter relay hangs, you can turn off the key to disable the starter. When it fails to pull in, it is often because the solenoid is dirty, and it needs a good cleaning. Routing better power to the solenoid also works. It is not common on the Stelvio. I would start with cleaning the solenoid.

If the clutch is just making a groaning nose when cold, that is normal.

My turn to rant..............

As far as the clutch is concerned, don't believe everything your read on the forum. The all make the noise eventually, and does not always means it will implode. If you loose play in the clutch, it does not mean you clutch is going to implode, it means that it may be time to change the fluid. If the clutch rattle, it does not mean it will implode, it means you have a dry clutch and they do that. If the gear box rattles a little when the clutch lever is out in neutral, it is normal.....I can go on an on....

As for the starter, you have a loose ground somewhere. My guess is at the starter. The starter ineruptis was for the earlier models that had a relay to keep the starter running until the bike starter. The 2012 does not have this. 99% of starting problems is a dying battery or a loose ground. Could also be your starter is dirty. Had mine changed out because of clutch dust. Cleaned the old one and run beautifully.

Before you condemn your bike because of what you read on the forums, take it to a good dealer and have them listen to it. The forums are like trying to diagnose a sickness on the internet. The more you read, the more you think you have a terminal disease, when in reality, you have a cold.

What is your clutch doing....
Thanks for the help . your right about the self diagnosis stuff ! I hope the situation is minor and I do have a great dealer who is passionate about these bikes . The clutch groan was normal ever since new but the noise now is very different . As for the starter interuptis I pulled the battery , checked the terminals , checked the battery but never checked the ground on the starter . Since getting out of the dessert and back to moderate temps it hasn't done it once . Thanks again for the insight and I will report back when all is well . The bike is going to the dealer tomorrow .

Or you could just take the starter off and clean the solenoid, and go ride.
The "startus interuptus" is because they route the solenoid current through the ignition switch, and other things. That way it the starter relay hangs, you can turn off the key to disable the starter. When it fails to pull in, it is often because the solenoid is dirty, and it needs a good cleaning. Routing better power to the solenoid also works. It is not common on the Stelvio. I would start with cleaning the solenoid.

If the clutch is just making a groaning nose when cold, that is normal.
Thanks Wayne , I'm taking her in tomorrow to the dealer . The mechanic is very good and well known in these parts for being one of the best with Guzzis . He's in Chilliwack and some bring their bikes all the way from Alberta just to have him work on them .

My California 1400 was just going click several times when I hit the button. Todd recommended I clean the ground wire. I removed it from the battery and down by the starter, cleaned the contact surfaces and it has not done it again. Why a bike 1 year old with 3,000 miles on it gets corroded contact surfaces is beyond me but that was it. Now it has 7,500 miles on it still working. Tune up parts on the way as it is overdue.

My bike doesn't have starter interrupus, but the clutch has groaned once in a while as long as I've owned the bike. Sometimes, it sounds like two rusty plates grinding against one another during engagement, but it doesn't last long, and it doesn't happen often. I think I'll at least make the issue known to my dealer before the warranty expires. Generally, my clutch is smooth and progressive, but I don't think noises like that could be considered part of Guzzi Character. Something is definitely not right.

Stu

My bike doesn't have starter interrupus, but the clutch has groaned once in a while as long as I've owned the bike. Sometimes, it sounds like two rusty plates grinding against one another during engagement, but it doesn't last long, and it doesn't happen often. I think I'll at least make the issue known to my dealer before the warranty expires. Generally, my clutch is smooth and progressive, but I don't think noises like that could be considered part of Guzzi Character. Something is definitely not right.

Stu
Mine is the same except at 13500 kms its now sounding much worse . It's still operational but my dealer wants it in as soon as possible . He's had a couple of replacements already . I'm grateful for a good dealer and is still on warranty but your right about the groaning ., shouldn't happen on a new bike regardless and should of been addressed by Piaggio right out of the gate as its obvious something was a muck . Not dealing with stuff like this immediately is unacceptable and negligent on the manufacturers part as far as I'm concerned .

Back