• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake upgrade for '14 V7 Stone

olivahela

Just got it firing!
Hello Everyone,
Love my V7 Stone so far but the brakes feel bit overwhelmed going aggressively in to corners.
Any suggestions how i can improve them? So far couldn't find off the shelf solutions. Dreaming of two front discs! Does anyone knows about possibility of swapping front wheel/forks from another model or brand.
Ducati ST2 has the same diameter fork tubes and travel but smaller wheel. Any comments greatly appreciated
Jacob

I put some EBC FA244HH front pads on my V7racer and they are a definite improvement over the stock Brembos. Better feel, not as soft feeling and don't make weird noises.
Bare

Don't need two discs! A Brembo RCS16 radial master is a huge upgrade, even with the stock caliper! My intention was to also upgrade for the 4-pad caliper, and I may in the future, but the Brembo master alone with a new set of pads is such an improvement over stock already that I stopped there for now... Todd can supply you with everything you need...

Speaking of pads; I've been using EBC HH on most of my bikes for a long time until I tried Vesrah. No more EBC for me personally. I find Vesrah JL pads to be quieter, with a more progressive feel at first but with better grip in the end. They are also easier on the rotors and produce less residue. Vesrah JL can be had for the same money as EBC HH. The stock caliper on the V7 takes a Vesrah VD-262JL pad.

Last edited:
Hi Jacob/thanks Dmitri... Happy to give you some direction. I raced for many years on a bike of similar weight and a single rotor. I have upgraded the front brake system on my V7R for RentAGuzzi.com with a Brembo 16 RCS master cylinder shown >HERE<, 4-pad caliper with HH-pads as shown >HERE< and a custom line to fit. This combo offers more power (one-finger braking) and feel then you'd imagine, and if you really wanted to top it off, I'd split a T-drive rotor kit shown >HERE<.
For the complexity in swapping a front end to the V7, and possibly the expense if you can't do it yourself (which would likely mean re-machining the triple trees or a stem), I don't think the benefit would far outweigh my recommendations above. Hope that helps, or feel free to email me to discuss further; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Did R1 Brembo radial master and 4-pad calipers off a 999 Ducati plus BrakeTech axis iron rotors for an upgrade on Bella.
Chalk and cheese mate!
Still using whatever pads were in the 2nd hand calipers to clean the paint off the new discs, so pads are contaminated ......................
one finger braking is good, two fingers gets the tyre howling with great precision.

Correct feeling (FOR YOU) gives you control.
Control brings great confidence.
Confidence adds pleasure to every ride.

Hi Jacob/thanks Dmitri... Happy to give you some direction. I raced for many years on a bike of similar weight and a single rotor. I have upgraded the front brake system on my V7R for RentAGuzzi.com with a Brembo 16 RCS master cylinder shown >HERE<, 4-pad caliper with HH-pads as shown >HERE< and a custom line to fit. This combo offers more power (one-finger braking) and feel then you'd imagine, and if you really wanted to top it off, I'd split a T-drive rotor kit shown >HERE<.
For the complexity in swapping a front end to the V7, and possibly the expense if you can't do it yourself (which would likely mean re-machining the triple trees or a stem), I don't think the benefit would far outweigh my recommendations above. Hope that helps, or feel free to email me to discuss further; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Todd I was about to email you about what you thought if some of us got together and went in on a pair of the nice rotors such as T-drive since we only need one. So you would be game for that?

Todd I was about to email you about what you thought if some of us got together and went in on a pair of the nice rotors such as T-drive since we only need one. So you would be game for that?
I would split a kit to make a single available. If no one grabs the other, I would.

I would split a kit to make a single available. If no one grabs the other, I would.

Very cool. I am definitely interested. Not immediately but soon. Looking for pretty much the whole upgrade that you already have as well, and the rotor would top it off. I'll keep you posted via email.

Todd, does the 4pad caliper come in black at all, or only silver/gold/chrome? I put the silver on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, only those colors.

Keep in mind that adding a 2nd disk brake to your V7 Stone will add to the unsprung weight on your front forks.

That may overload their ability to keep the rubber on the road (i.e., damping factor). This in turn can adversely effect how your bike handles, especially in corners.

Spending $$$ on more braking, only to be forced into lower cornering speeds by compromised handling, seems counterproductive.

'Geezer

You could always counteract that weight and fit a carbon fibre wheel, I did.:cool:

You could always counteract that weight and fit a carbon fibre wheel, I did.:cool:

I am definitely into weight reduction, and am interested in wheel options for the V7.

But, I'm just not that into CF wheels on a retro bike. I really really want a set of the new Borrani tubeless m-ray wheels, but I'm worried they'll be a lot heavier than the cast wheels on my V7 Stone. Some weight specs on those would be nice but can't find anything.

I too much prefer the look of alloy rims and spokes etc. Not into black wheels and not into carbon for the bling factor.
I have rusty looking chrome spokes due to PO never cleaning his wheels, rear rim has minor damage and wanted to swap front 18" rim for 17". Rebuild was going to be $1500 but would still need tubes, and no weight saving. Next option was either Alpina or Kineo wheel systems, both are tubeless and in the $3k arena with minimal weight saving. With the cost of developing new hubs and axle drive system my BST's will cost around $6k, but I have saved 4.5kg on the front and hope to achieve similar on the rear.

As for my bikes current stealth look, if the black wheels piss me off I'll paint 'em silver, ......................................... or gold.

If the V7 uses the same 320mm disc as all the big blocks, buy the Grimeca for the RSV-4 direct from Piaggio (Euro122) and a weight saving of 463g.

Yea, I'm just not willing to go through all that, nor do I have the resources to have parts machined to fit, etc. I appreciate your fervor though, and a total savings of close to 20lbs does sound extremely enticing, for sure. If the Borrani wheels were at least the same weight as the OEM cast wheels on the Stone, I would be game to get them. And if they're a little lighter, that's a bonus. But if they're heavier, then I probably wouldn't want to pick them up, especially at the $3k price point...that's the most I'd want to spend.

The Alpina wheels with a carbon matrix rim look attractive too, so you get the carbon rim, but with the spoke aesthetic. And aren't they basically the same thing as the Borranis? Seems like they use the same manufacturing techniques, etc. Not as much of a weight savings as what you have, but some.

Back