• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 trans fluid change

jturquette

Tuned and Synch'ed
Howdy! New to guzzis and this is my first post with a question.

I changed the differential fluid and transmission fluid today. I have a 1 liter bottle of fluid (amsoil severe gear full synth 75w90) for both. Total fluid change should be 875 ml, or there abouts based on manual. Put bike on center stand and leveled the wheels to make the bike front-to-back level. Diff change went well and used about 300 ml of fluid when the fluid starting coming out of the level hole on the back of the CARC. The transmission change took the rest of the bottle, and i don't see fluid coming out of the fill/fluid level hole. Some posts say to fill till it comes out, some say the level will be below the hole. I had about 50ml or so of spillage I should be okay, right???

You don't state which bike you have and I'm not edumacated enough to tell from your avatar. ;) My comments apply to the Breva 1100.

In Guzzi-speak, Diff = Transmission = CARC (380cc capacity). The gearbox capacity is 500cc, so, assuming you have a B11, you likely overfilled it by adding 700cc. I don't recall that there is a way to check the level, but I'm sure the experts will chime in.

Good Luck!

I have a B11. I never measure the quantity of oil. Fill the CARC until just below the plug hole, and fill gearbox until level with filler hole. To check gearbox level, just stick your pinky in and see if it comes out oily (I use probe 'cause I got sausage fingers).

I'm sure others will disagree with my method, but I'm not so anal with levels as long as it's close.

Robert

I do the same as Roblatt with my '06 Breva 1100.

Edit: forgot to mention that on the centre stand, I put a lump of wood under the front wheel to bring the bike up to level.

Last edited:
All,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm inclined to leave it alone. What does overfilling the gearbox do? Probably nothing. I see under filling would lead to problems, but not overfilling.

All,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm inclined to leave it alone. What does overfilling the gearbox do? Probably nothing. I see under filling would lead to problems, but not overfilling.

If it vents pressure well, you may be OK, it it doesn't it may blow oil out, and possibly have a detrimental effect on the seals.

Last edited:
According to my Norge's service manual: "The level is correct if the oil is on the rim of the hole of the level plug (1)". And : "If necessary Top-up with oil until it reaches the dipstick opening (1)"

So.....you should not be able to overfill it (assuming the bike is upright and both wheels are level to the ground).

RESOLUTION: Found the missing fluid. I asked my son to swing his leg over the bike and and hold it center. Opened the level/fill port, liquid flowed out. Waited till the draining slowed to a drip drip drip, then re-capped the gearbox. All is good!

Note to self: check for a proper level before bothering the community.

Thanks to the Community for your assistance and information.

Back