• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1999 Bassa Fuel Level sensor fail

thook

Tuned and Synch'ed
The thermistor type sending unit on my 99 Bassa no longer seems to activate the low fuel light. I recently bought a replacement tank off of another 99 Bassa and the fuel sender doesn't work on it either. Is this a common fault?
Is there any way to refurbish these units? Or is there a definitive way to check them with a voltmeter or ohm-meter to see if they are working correctly? New units from Harpers or MG Cycles are remarkably expensive, so a refurb procedure would be great news.

As far as I know those units are not easily worked on, if at all. Either bite the bullet and get a new sensor, or pay very close attention to your trip meter. Since you have two non functioning units, you could try to take one apart and figure out how it works, as I believe they are a float sensor and not a thermistor type of sending unit.

Probably a silly question, but have you confirmed the low fuel bulb is good? I had to replace three bulbs in the dash of my recently sold CSS.

Probably a silly question, but have you confirmed the low fuel bulb is good? I had to replace three bulbs in the dash of my recently sold CSS.

Not a silly question. I was about to ask the same one.

thook, You can test the bulb by inserting a jumper wire in the bike harness connector to the low fuel sending unit. Turn the key on, and the bulb should illuminate. If it does, it is the sender, if not it is the bulb, or the bulb is not getting power. To test the sending units, with the unit out of the tank, have it vertical. You should read continuity at the two pins of the connector. So, if your tank is less than a gallon, it too should read continuity.

I know the low fuel sender in my 1990 Spada III contained a float with a magnet attached and a reed relay inside a tube. I think the later ones were different, but never taken one apart to see.
Worth checking the connections to the sender, as they can give problems.

I had both a '99 and a '00 Bassa. Both senders went out in short order. I never relied on them anyway. I just used the trip meter.

I have the same problem on my Cali EV and as yet haven't tracked down where the problem lies, to make it worse the knob is missing off the trip meter too so I need to get one of those. I do keep looking at the electronic fuel tap though and wondering if I can replace it with an on/off/reserve tap off something else.

Thanks for all the input. Checked the low fuel bulb by swapping it out with other dash indicator lights. It was fine. When I tried by passing the sensor and jumping straight to he harness I couldn't get the light to work. I wonder if I was doing it correctly. I ran a lead from the positive terminal on the battery to one pin on the connector that snaps into the sensor itself, and then ran a lead to ground off of the other pin, and got no light. Then I swapped the leads to the opposite pins, still no light. What am I doing wrong here?

In the meantime I am using the trip odometer and getting along just fine. Even if I determine the sensor to be faulty I likely will not replace it until someone comes up with and affordable option. I'm just curious to know what exactly is not working.

Again thanks for all your input.

Thanks for all the input. Checked the low fuel bulb by swapping it out with other dash indicator lights. It was fine. When I tried by passing the sensor and jumping straight to he harness I couldn't get the light to work. I wonder if I was doing it correctly. I ran a lead from the positive terminal on the battery to one pin on the connector that snaps into the sensor itself, and then ran a lead to ground off of the other pin, and got no light. Then I swapped the leads to the opposite pins, still no light. What am I doing wrong here?

In the meantime I am using the trip odometer and getting along just fine. Even if I determine the sensor to be faulty I likely will not replace it until someone comes up with and affordable option. I'm just curious to know what exactly is not working.

Again thanks for all your input.

I said to jumper the harness. See above That means connect the two contacts with a single wire.

Thanks for the explanation. It most definitely is a faulty sensor. Thanks for your help.
Tom

Back