• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What to look for- used Stelvio

Kaiserkudo

Just got it firing!
I suppose I am about to become an owner of a 2012 Stelvio (non NTX), with the 32Ltank and cast wheels.
The bike has 12000kms on it, apparently one owner but no service history.
The bike appears to be in good condition apart from the fact that some of the nuts are showing a fair bit of corrosion. front wheel axle nut, for example. Couldnt see a wrench icon on the dash LCD so I assume atleast the 10000km service has been done.

My guess is that its been left out in the elements, possibly near ocean or ridden in rain often.
Apart from the corrosion it looks in good condition (externally). Some of the wiring under the front fairing looks a bit messy, but im not sure if this is standard.

Test ride was good. Clutch bite/engagment was at the last cm of lever travel but Im told this can be adjusted by just moving the lever.

I havent taken the seat off to check condition of battery nor have I checked the ground leads. I intend to get some extra grease into the various bearings as shown in the various great maintenance articles on this board. I also will check the spark plugs, boots and cables.

Probably cant hurt to do a complete fluid flush as well a TB sync I guess.

Have I missed anything?

Looking forward to having my first MG !

Image Image Image Image

Last edited:
It does look as if she hasn't had the best care. If the price is right (considering condition) go for it. A little TLC can go a long way to rejuvenating this machine. There are some good materials out there to remove corrosion, and to then protect the parts.

Out of curiosity, what is that connector with the yellow, white/green, white/orange wire. That is not on the NA models (at least not my 2012 NTX). I see the Euro signal connector in the back so that is not it. Relay....tip over sensor???

Out of curiosity, what is that connector with the yellow, white/green, white/orange wire. That is not on the NA models (at least not my 2012 NTX). I see the Euro signal connector in the back so that is not it. Relay....tip over sensor???

The aux lamp connector is simply parked there on non-NTX bikes waiting for the owner to provide a relay (part No AP8224462), mounting rubber (part No AP8220283) and lights that would then become live by operating the switch on the right hand switch gear.

It does look as if she hasn't had the best care. If the price is right (considering condition) go for it. A little TLC can go a long way to rejuvenating this machine. There are some good materials out there to remove corrosion, and to then protect the parts.

Thanks. Its priced at $15,000. As a comparison, I can get a leftover new 2012 NTX for $19,800 OTD. A 2014 NTX is $23,000 otd.

To me a difficult decision. Left over with full warranty for $4,800 more vs a bike that needs TLC and is out of warranty. I would think depreciation and cosmetics would have lowered the asking price more.

Indeed. I may have to go with the cheaper one. As it is I'm already over the budget prescribed by the minister of war and finance (wife)

the fasteners you are showing will show that amount of corrosion if the bike is ridden in the rain more than twice. cleaned or not. The difference in cost is enough that even if you have a major failure, like a clutch, ecu or carc, you will still come out slightly less than the new price, The warranty on a new Guzzi is of no value really as Piaggio does not back it, at best they will allow you to pay for a major repair and then review the repair and then decide if it was wear or a defect. (and then maybe reimburse the dealer for the repair) at which point you may get a re-fund

the fasteners you are showing will show that amount of corrosion if the bike is ridden in the rain more than twice. cleaned or not. The difference in cost is enough that even if you have a major failure, like a clutch, ecu or carc, you will still come out slightly less than the new price, The warranty on a new Guzzi is of no value really as Piaggio does not back it, at best they will allow you to pay for a major repair and then review the repair and then decide if it was wear or a defect. (and then maybe reimburse the dealer for the repair) at which point you may get a re-fund

Still bitter I see............

"the fasteners you are showing will show that amount of corrosion if the bike is ridden in the rain more than twice. cleaned or not"

2 years, plenty of rain, 37,000km, and washed regularly.....not a spot of corrosion anywhere on the bike. Salt water or ocean air...another story and then frankly it doesn't matter what you are riding.

"The warranty on a new Guzzi is of no value really as Piaggio does not back it, at best they will allow you to pay for a major repair and then review the repair and then decide if it was wear or a defect. (and then maybe reimburse the dealer for the repair) at which point you may get a re-fund["

Never had a valid warranty claim refused (and frankly, there have only been a couple). This is more about how good your dealer is rather than Guzzi or Piaggio. If your dealer can't get it through for you, just pick up the phone and call Piaggio directly and state your case. Have done it, and seen it done on several occasions. All manufacturers are the same. Kind of like American health care insurance....do anything to not pay until they have proof and are satisfied.

If you can afford new, go for it. More for the history if anything, but you still won't go wrong with either choice. Looks like a nice bike other than the surface corrosion. That can be cleaned up and then treated to protect it. I am guessing that nice ocean air of Australia may be your culprit. Just keep it clean so the salt water has less to attach to. There are some good treatments out there, just do a search and that will keep it looking new.

If you need some TSB's or manuals for various tasks just post and we will get them to you. Your in good hands with the right folks on this forum.

Let us know how the first ride goes and post some pics.

So I ended up getting the used '12 Stelvio today. Riding home from the dealer, I lost all headlights in the dark when switching from high beam back down to low beam. Toggling tue switch a few times did restore them, but the fault is repeatable. Faulty switch gear?

Not surprised with that level of corrosion. Either the switch or the High Beam relay. Sounds more like the switch. You can try and spray some WD40 (yes I know, not the best for switches so no lectures) and see if it gets better. If it does it will get you going and then you can take the switch apart and give it a proper cleaning and lubrication. There were some cases in the early 2012's of faulty switches but with the amount of corrosion it may just be a dirty switch. Does it do the same thing if you just pull the HB Switch (the Pass feature). If it does not, points more to the switch then the relay.

May want to give a once over to some of the other connectors just to make sure the corrosion has not spread to them. If that is the case you will want to clean them and put some di-electric grease on them to prevent re-occurance.

Back