• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel gauge

radders

Just got it firing!
Hello everybody

Has anybody else had trouble with there fuel gauge never showing full? I reported this problem to my dealer while booking my stelvio in for it's technical update and the reply i got suprised me. He said a lot of them do it so why worry! I did not quite expect this reply after all the bike costs £8600 i expect the fuel gauge to work. Or am i being unrealistic to expect a guzzi gauge to work correctly? I have also noticed the instrument panel is now misting up so hate to think what the dealers reply to this will be.

Your replys would be apreciated

Radders

Fuel gauges in motorcycles are always suspect.

I had a GS 1100 that never said it was full, a Kawasaki Concours that read full but was off when it showed empty, it normally had 2-1/2 gallons left (a resistor fixed that) and a $30K HD Ultra Classic that when the 1 gallon reserve light flashed you had about 2/10th of a gallon left. That piece of junk left me stranded more than once and HD could have cared less.

Should they work "YES", do they always "NO", should the manufacture make an attempt to repair it "YES", will they......it depends on the brand.

kwn306 wrote:
Should they work "YES", do they always "NO", should the manufacture make an attempt to repair it "YES", will they......it depends on the brand.

I think it 'depends on the dealer' more then the brand.

I still want to know how the thing works. It has a single sensor to sense when the fuel is low. That likely lights the low fuel bulb. But there IS no stepped sensor for a full or 3/4 or 1/2 or whatever tank. It appears the computer is simply making up numbers based on the one sensor and knowing how much fuel the injectors have pumped out.
It's a software problem...... :angry:

Hi Radders, mine occasionally registers full, usually about 10mins from filling up, mind you these bikes are a sod to fill to the brim, I usually end up inadvertantly filling my tank cubby when the fuel gushes up the filler neck !

Like eimers01 I look at the trip only
That gauge is worthless anyway with only two blocks... once it goes down to the second block you have no idea whether you can still ride 100km or if you'll soon be on the reserve...
So in this case knowing your bike and the way you're driving it is essential. I start worrying when the trip reaches 210 km...

I rode 10k miles last summer, probably 8k in the great British summer rain, no misting. Last time I made a statement like that was 9500 miles before my cam followers melted, lol.
Fuel gauge reads 2 bars when full at the pump but registers 3 bars FULL after 30 seconds riding.
Always found the reserve light to come on with 5/6 litres remaining. Mileage can be 110miles or 140 miles, depending on what my right hand has been doing. Dont read any further into that last statement!!!!
My electric gripe is I cant always enter the Menu, switch has been replaced but still erratic.

percival wrote:
Hi Gang

Todd posted this a while ago:)
[file name=011_2008_Motoguzzi_fuelsensor.pdf size=336570]https://www.guzzitech.com/images/fbfiles/files/011_2008_Motoguzzi_fuelsensor.pdf[/file]
It looks as if they all mist up to some extent:(

Loftyjohn

I was thinking about taking my bike to my mechanic in order to fix the Fuel sensor but as i looked the pictures in the 011_2008.pdf i came to the conclusion that is not a good idea. i will keep it as it is. i don't mind.

i don' t want her to have an other surgery after the cams replacement.
It may cause her severe psychological problems :laugh:

Hi
The only reason I thought i'd try and get it fixed was the procedure to fix the cams will require the fuel tank to be removed and while it's off perhaps they could fix it. I can't say i am not a little disappointed with the dealer but i will not loose any sleep over it. I am due to ring the dealer again tomorrow as i am still trying to get the update booked in they seem to be having trouble getting the kit? which seems strange as i recived the recall nearly a month ago! good job it's not life thretening.
Does anybody else have these problems i have never had a moto guzzi before and the support seems a little off. Usually with other brands getting warranty work and recalls runs a bit smoother.

Radders

Just called my dealer this after noon and the bike was at the washing station!
I asked why and they said it's done so you can come and get it...
I thought they were only talking about my electrical problem which stalled the bike right when I was leaving the place the other day. But no, that was fixed and they also had the Guzzi recall maintenance done, so as the chief mechanic said, you won't be bothered now until the 10000k check!!!
It's all good!!!:)

I'm waiting over 3 weeks and counting for the dealer to get the parts...

I rang the dealer again today and the parts are still not all in, they are still waiting for the followers, I cannot understand why moto guzzi have not made a kit to send out.as the dealer tells me he has to order the kit as individual parts. They know how many machines are effected and approximatly where they are located why send the recall out before they a ready with the parts?
The only positive things are they have made the recall and it is only the begining of the year so the weather is still a bit tempermental for riding.

Radders

two questions: 1) what do you mean by "misting up". are you talking about the fuel guage? that sounds like the condensation problem I noticed in under my panel cover. 2) what does the technical update mean by "Should there be any problem related to fuel level indications, all warranty claims regarding the entire fuel pump (code GU05107230) will be rejected."

Shouldn't that say "replaced" or "repaired" instead of "rejected"? I interpret that as saying the warranty claim will be rejected (in other words, no work will be performed).

Hello
I think you misunderstand my point firstly the technical update is for the cam failures that have been happening to the early models mine was register in april 2008,But after reading what is involved with this i decided to try and save the dealer some work, and to mention that the fuel gauge had not worked from day one,you see they have to remove the fuel tank to preform the technical update and it would save them taking the tank off twice and also save me visiting them twice. The misting issue has just happened after the winter lay up, the misting (condensation) of the dash shows damp is getting into the dash unit. There have been more posts about this on the forum and the later bikes have been modded.
My point/question was is it normal for moto guzzi dealers to handle issues with new motorcycles with "oh they all do that" or is mine just an isolated case you see i am used to main stream manufacurers and they seem to hand these issues better.All i was trying to do with my dealer is get him prepared to all the work at one time but the answers i am getting are not looking hopeful.

Radders

pkubitz wrote:
2) what does the technical update mean by "Should there be any problem related to fuel level indications, all warranty claims regarding the entire fuel pump (code GU05107230) will be rejected."

Shouldn't that say "replaced" or "repaired" instead of "rejected"? I interpret that as saying the warranty claim will be rejected (in other words, no work will be performed).

What they are saying is, the fuel level sensor is now available as a seperate part.
Previously, you had to get an entire fuel pump assembly, to replace the fuel level sensor.

So, it you order a pump assembly to fix a bad sensor, they will reject that order. You need to then reorder JUST the sensor.

Thanks Wayne. I guess that's 3 things I need to have fixed on my Stelvio - fuel guage, cams, and guage condensation. Wow!

Back