• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 Racer Intake and Exhaust Mods

Agree, Todd. C'mon guys, you are arguig like some school girls about who's dress is prettier.

Kev M - good info. I was trying to understand how the bike is DBW when there are actual cables running to the throttle - now I get it. I think only italians would do stuff like this. No idea why.

Look forward to Todd's results eventually, and exploring this more myself. And yeah, let's keep this on-topic. Every damn bike is modded out there, even the latest an dgreatest of sport bikes are even though they are quickest machines you can buy....off the shelf. Looks are looks....million o fthem out there for million different folks. Don't like it, just turn away. Pretty damn simple.

370_racer said:
Kev M - good info. I was trying to understand how the bike is DBW when there are actual cables running to the throttle - now I get it. I think only italians would do stuff like this.

There were some outboard manufacturers who did this too on early DBW models, maybe Yamaha, maybe Mercury, I forget, I'd have to look it up.

Great information (minus the bashing). The description of the ECU is fascinating (thanks KevuM). I'm used to dealing with a fuel control unit that was designed in the fifties and relies on diaphragms, check valves and a crazy Rube Goldberg device called a 'droop cam compensator' to stay in the air, so I can appreciate a simple, light weight system that just WORKS.

As for the appeal of the Racer............. It's a fun, light weight bike. My number plates came off (personal preference) as fast as I could find my allen wrenches, on went a gauge lowering kit (thanks Todd) and the mod list keeps piling up. The only thing that is slowing me down is the '65 Karmann Ghia my son and I are resto-modding (bigger engine, dropped spindles).... Oh my God, he's right. I'm an aging wannabee trying to relive a past I didnt actually have. Oh well, I can accept that. I always thought of myself as an aging hipster doofus; so at least my self perception matches SOMEONE'S opinion. Have a good weekend everyone.

That is what a good paying job is for... Letting old farts like us relive the youth we wanted to have. ;)

fireflyr said:
Great information (minus the bashing).

The only thing that is slowing me down is the '65 Karmann Ghia my son and I are resto-modding (bigger engine, dropped spindles).... .

You had me at Karmann Ghia.

sign216 said:
fireflyr said:
Great information (minus the bashing).

The only thing that is slowing me down is the '65 Karmann Ghia my son and I are resto-modding (bigger engine, dropped spindles).... .

You had me at Karmann Ghia.

Body is coming off for 1/4 panels and heater ducts. Mechanicals are good. Sorry for hijack. :whistle:

ghhh_zps6be3c530.jpg

When I was growing up in St Louis about 40 yrs ago, my youngish aunt had a green Karmann. This was in the 1970's, shortly after they stopped making them. Everyone raved over it, but her mechanical skills and pocket book were both weak, so she let it go.

Your tan one looks nice. Good body.

rgoff said:
I am a longtime Guzzi enthusiast but this is my first time to post on this forum. I wanted to share some mods I have made to my new V7 Racer and the results thus far. Looking for any feedback from those that may have done similar mods and what they experienced.

I installed a set of Mistral mufflers and removed the stock air box. In it's place, I installed a K£N air filter pod. As expected when I fired it up the first time, It would not idle but actually ran pretty good by keeping on the throttle. No popping to speak of on decel and a lot more get up for sure. I plan to install a PCV and have it dialed in on a dyno.

Meanwhile, I was curious to see what would happen if I unplugged the O2 sensors. I really wasn't expecting anything good to come from it but I can't help but tinker with things that are probably better left alone when I find myself with a bit of idle time on my hands.

To my amazement, the bike settled into a very nice idle, a bit on the high side but not bad at all. No warning light came either, as I fully expected to happen. Ok, I am going to run down the road 2 or 3 miles to see what gives. To my amazement, It actually ran quite nicely with no flat spots, no popping on decel, great acceleration from stop to 5k RPM in all gears, returning to a nice idle when done. Absolutely unexpected on all accounts. Again, I have not done the PCV or Dyno yet.

Back home, looking at it and wondering what the devil is going on, I decided to take it out again for about 6-7 miles. Still unsure what is going on so taking baby steps. It again ran practically flawless and still no warning light. I don't get it but am pleased to say the least. I still plan to have a PCV installed and put it on the dyno to dial it in as there can't be any way that it is properly fueling in my mind, but it sure runs and sounds good like it is nevertheless.

Any thoughts or cautions/warnings would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the O2 sensor disconnect.

Thanks,
Ron

Good on you for doing want you want and modding!

Can you post pics of the intake mod? Also have you or are you planning on doing some Dyno runs or 1/4 mile runs to see how it works?

Matt

GT-Rx® said:
370_racer said:
Anyone have more knowledge on 1TB engines?
Not quite yet, but I'll be doing some extensive testing soon, including monitoring Air/Fuel data.
On the pre-'12 1.5M ECU, an unplugged 02-sensor/lambda would throw a fault, and put the bike into a "limp home mode" which is horrific for those who have experienced it.
The '13 single T/B MIU ECU does not show a fault when the 02's are unplugged, and the ECU data does not show me anything it does when they are. I will post my findings in a few weeks.

p.s. Moved this topic here to the V7 section.

Hey Todd have you got anymore info on the 1tb ?

Instg8r said:
What info are you looking for? I have very successfully mapped several '13+ V7's.

GT-Rx® said:
Instg8r said:
What info are you looking for? I have very successfully mapped several '13+ V7's.

I guess in regards to tuning,have you mapped the ecu for performance gains for us guys that more umphh since we can't have the PC?

GT-Rx® said:
Instg8r said:
I guess in regards to tuning,have you mapped the ecu for performance gains for us guys that more umphh since we can't have the PC?
Per above, yes I sure have.

GT-Rx® said:
GT-Rx® said:
Instg8r said:
Per above, yes I sure have.

NP, was reading through the thread and you mentioned you post your findings. I thought maybe you had info, like what is very successful mapping? Ay Dyno graphs? Maybe details on what it likes or doesn't like? What guys with basic mods can expect out of a tune? Or limitations their might be, like not being able to tune with a PC? Have you worked a generic performance map that is applied to all who want a flash?

Instg8r said:
NP, was reading through the thread and you mentioned you post your findings. I thought maybe you had info, like what is very successful mapping? Ay Dyno graphs? Maybe details on what it likes or doesn't like? What guys with basic mods can expect out of a tune? Or limitations their might be, like not being able to tune with a PC? Have you worked a generic performance map that is applied to all who want a flash?
My maps are built on air/fuel data. Here in the U.S., fuels (hence maps) are different from region to region, much less country to country. That said, U.S. maps have proven to work fairly well for Canada. Dyno'ing the V7 would be fruitless to show mapping benefits, but I can tell you based on over a decade of fuel manipulation on Guzzis, that my flashes offer much smoother throttle, warm up and general overall lower operating temperatures. This is a post from the last V7S I did; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic? ... 356#p90356
Contact me direct with any other questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

RGOFF,
Since you've disconnected the O2 sensor, why not install an AFR gauge to monitor your bike? If you (or anybody else) have any concerns about it running too lean, this will tell you the results of your mods.
Ken

I am a longtime Guzzi enthusiast but this is my first time to post on this forum. I wanted to share some mods I have made to my new V7 Racer and the results thus far. Looking for any feedback from those that may have done similar mods and what they experienced.

I installed a set of Mistral mufflers and removed the stock air box. In it's place, I installed a K£N air filter pod. As expected when I fired it up the first time, It would not idle but actually ran pretty good by keeping on the throttle. No popping to speak of on decel and a lot more get up for sure. I plan to install a PCV and have it dialed in on a dyno.

Meanwhile, I was curious to see what would happen if I unplugged the O2 sensors. I really wasn't expecting anything good to come from it but I can't help but tinker with things that are probably better left alone when I find myself with a bit of idle time on my hands.

To my amazement, the bike settled into a very nice idle, a bit on the high side but not bad at all. No warning light came either, as I fully expected to happen. Ok, I am going to run down the road 2 or 3 miles to see what gives. To my amazement, It actually ran quite nicely with no flat spots, no popping on decel, great acceleration from stop to 5k RPM in all gears, returning to a nice idle when done. Absolutely unexpected on all accounts. Again, I have not done the PCV or Dyno yet.

Back home, looking at it and wondering what the devil is going on, I decided to take it out again for about 6-7 miles. Still unsure what is going on so taking baby steps. It again ran practically flawless and still no warning light. I don't get it but am pleased to say the least. I still plan to have a PCV installed and put it on the dyno to dial it in as there can't be any way that it is properly fueling in my mind, but it sure runs and sounds good like it is nevertheless.

Any thoughts or cautions/warnings would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the O2 sensor disconnect.

Thanks,
Ron
Sorry to reopen this after so long, but I just removed my stock air box last night and plan on getting a pod filter today for it, and my question to you is, what did you do about the 4 hoses that run to the bottom front of the airbox? There is once coming from each cylinder head, and one that splits to 2 with a Y joint that leads down to the oil pan? I'm assuming I can remove the Y adapter and extend the single hose a bit and add a small inline oil breather, but what about the hoses from each head? Did you get desperate breathers for each? Did you tie all the hoses together and get a medium filter for all? do you have pictures of how you set yours up? Any help would be tremendous! Here is my current state,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd venture to say you are likely one of the first to do this to a single throttle body V7. All of the lines could be routed to one breather or breather box. The box is more ideal as these motors do tend to push oil when revved. The return line to the pan could be blocked/plugged. Look forward to your solution pics.

Oh jeez lmao. That is kind of cool but also scary at the same time lmao. Thank you for the help and suggestions. I'm heading out today to go look at some air filters and breather boxes, and a lithium ion battery, then will be re routing wires and lines and mounting and relocating everything tonight or tomorrow. Will probably create a new thread for this with results/outcome lol

And to get back to the regular programming. My experience with unplugged O2 sensors was lousy gas mileage and numerous fouled plugs and getting to ride long distances on one cylinder to get home. I ride often anywhere from sea level to 8000 feet elevation. The problems mostly arrived with altitude and hot weather. After about 3 month of this, I took it to the shop after I plugged the O2 sensors back in and got the map renewed and found that one of the O2 sensors had gone bad. It was as replaced under warranty. It's been running great since then.
As for lucky phil, if you're lucky enough to live long enough, you'll find it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than fast bike slow.
Bare

Back