• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lighting/Alternator/Charging Circuit Monitor for Stelvio

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Recently, I had a headlight bulb go bad during daylight hours and, of course, it burned out the Big Fuse behind the right side plastic cover. I didn't know anything was wrong until I happened to notice that my auxiliary lamps were dead. Thankfully, I didn't run long enough to deplete the battery to the point of being stranded.

This main fuse problem is a big one. Even if you know it's a problem, it's a big problem. You have no way of knowing when the fuse is blown unless you are running at night and/or somehow happen to realize that you have no lighting - or alternator. There is no warning light that tells you the battery is not being charged!

This same fuse powers a main circuit that includes the headlamps, the auxiliary lamps and the alternator activator. The more commonly known problem is for this fuse to blow due to vibration-induced chafing and shorting of the wires inside the auxiliary lamps. Again, during daylight, you may not know this has happened and that you not only have no lights but you have no functioning charge circuit to the battery. Again, the Stelvio has no alternator light, no voltmeter, no indicator to alert you about this problem.

I fixed my H-4 bulb problem but I also installed a monitor light to indicate when this particular main circuit goes dead for whatever reason. If that big fuse blows, I now have a red warning light that comes on.

This is very simple.

I bought a 12VDC red led indicator lamp from Radio Shack and a standard lighting relay. I then used a connection to my switched accessory receptacle circuit to illuminate this red indicator lamp through the relay, terminals 30 and 87A. I then made a connection to the main lighting/alternator circuit by slipping in a wire to the 87 terminal of Lighting Logic relay, 5th from the front on the right side of the bike, and used it to trigger the red indicator light relay at terminal 85 to cut the current from the accessory illuminating it (86 is grounded as is the negative wire from the red indicator lamp). I didn't drill a hole through the dash but I mounted the indicator lamp in a custom-made bracket that I sticky-taped to the dash.

The thing works great.

When I turn the ignition on, the accessory circuit lights up the led indicator lamp. It's bright, even in daylight. When the bike is started and the main lighting/alternator circuit comes on, that trigger wire from that main lighting/alternator circuit switches off the relay that controls the led indicator lamp. If, at any time the main lighting/alternator circuit goes dead, the led indicator light relay switches back and turns on the indicator light as powered from the accessory circuit that is not affected by the main lighting/alternator circuit.

Originally, I had contemplated breaking out the alternator circuit and installing a separate dedicated fuse for it. However, I realized that I wanted to know when either my lights were out or the charge circuit was dead.

Next, I used a popular led volt/battery meter and wired it to the same accessory connection that powers the main circuit warning light just described. I mounted the voltmeter next to the circuit warning light and carefully positioned it so as not to hit the upper triple clamp when turning. Any sort of voltmeter could be used. . Now, I have all bases covered.

Voltmeter by Kuryakyn
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ38119

I'm warned by the red light if the Big Fuse blows and I'm also warned by the voltmeter if there is any other problem with the charging system.

By the way, while I was in there, I replaced all the 5-pin relays on the right side as preventative maintenance.

For now, this works for me. It's a simple fix and something the factory should have worked around from the beginning.

Main circuit red indicator lamp (off=good, on=bad) and the led system voltmeter.

Controlling relay for indicator lamp

Relay bank on right side behind removable cover. The red-banded relay to the left is the main lighting (logic?) relay. The same main circuit connects to more than one relay.

Stock relays are held in rubber sheaths. Not the best water-proofing design.

I used these

And tried to rubber wrap the connectors for better protection

Last edited:
Great write up!
My knowledge of electrics is pretty much zero but you said there is no volt meter on the Stelvio. My 2011 build euro model does have a volt meter in the menu on the instruments and I have used it in the past to monitor charging. Would this suffice if you left this visible all the time to indicate if the alternator wasn't charging due to the main relay you describe blowing?

Last edited:
Yes I've got into the habit of riding with the voltmeter on the dash after this topic and switching to other menus as required but the mod described lets you know as soon as a problem occurs whereas I guess the voltmeter would be a more gradual volt drop ?
Alan NZ

Back