• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank all of you for the PMs!

I managed to get around to fixing my strange power loss / surge in 1st gear. I emptied the tank and removed the fuel filter again. One of the clamps on the fuel filter was tightened but leaking fuel out of the side. I removed both screw-type clamps and replaced them with Oetiker style clamps. I put everything back together and the guzzi is happy once again! :mrgreen:

While replacing the filter, is it prudent to replace the stock fuel hose as well? Having been through this with my Calvin, the filter was all metal but the fuel hose turns to mush and pops off the clamps leaving you dead in the water (or alongside Route 95 in Maryland). The fix is fully submersible fuel hose and better clamps. I now have a '14 V7 Special, is the fuel hose still an issue with these bikes?

So far nobody has had a problem with the fuel lines in the single throttle body bikes (V7, at least). The filters...that's another story.

Does anyone have any info if they used them in the 13'+ V7s? I could check mine out at some point but if anyone knows if they went to all metal that would be better.

I spoke to Piaggio tech people. The 2013 V7 still has the metal/plastic filter. They stated they were not aware of any problems
If you have a lower fuel level, you *might* be able to get a small mirror down into the tank if you can get it past the fuel filler hole, otherwise you can unbolt the fuel cap ring to have a look, which is certainly easier then pulling the tank and pump assy. My wager is that it too uses the half/half filter.

It never ceases to amaze me how they can have the problem over several models and many years but "We don't know of any problems". Apparently they never look at any user forums for any model. My 2007 Norge filter looked more bulged than rogershuff photo above and many people have been stranded because of it. I believe some under warranty. :tmi:

Let's see. Maybe they are avoiding writing that letter that says " Could cause a loss in power that could result in an accident. Please take your bike to your dealer for a free replacement". Since it is a motorcycle in such low production quantities the NHTSA would take forever to force them to do that.

Image Wish I could say my filter was different but it was very bloated and orange. My hat is off to the engineer who figured out how to pack all of that crap into that little hole.
Thanks to Todd I had a filter waiting on me when I got back from the Whites and Log fires. Image And if anyone is wondering, this is NOT a job you will want to do on the side of the road.

Corsa Italiana in London, UK, tell me that the 2014 Stones have all-metal filters. Make sure your tank filler drain line is kept clear or you'll discover which kind you have as you remove water from the filter!

Just had mine changed (2013 V7) with 2400 miles. The plastic half was already expanding. I urge everyone to do it before you get stuck! BTW, the bike seems to run better now

This may have been already covered but I am throwing it out anyway. Is this an ethanol only issue? My 2013 has never tasted ethanol as it is not present in our premium gas here in Canada.

Please tell me that I am right...:(

Tobor,

Most plastics and gasoline don't mix well, ethanol present or not. Someone has mentioned that plastic in a fuel filter may be OK for diesel fuel, but not gasoline. I wouldn't advise taking the chance on the filter failing.

So, has anyone been able to get the fuel pump, with the an metal Mahle KL145 filter, back into the metal fuel tank of a V7 Stone without dislodging the zip tie that holds the filter close to the pump? I sure wasn't able to. Every time I tried, the filter slipped out of the tie. Now I'm imagining the filter flopping around inside the tank, flexing the hoses until they eventually break. Maybe I worry too much.

So, has anyone been able to get the fuel pump, with the an metal Mahle KL145 filter, back into the metal fuel tank of a V7 Stone without dislodging the zip tie that holds the filter close to the pump? I sure wasn't able to. Every time I tried, the filter slipped out of the tie. Now I'm imagining the filter flopping around inside the tank, flexing the hoses until they eventually break. Maybe I worry too much.

The filter should not slip out of the zip tie, and if it is, tighten it down better. Therefore, you must be attempting to insert it in a way that is causing it to slip, so I would suggest you give it another go. Mine did not slip out at all when I replaced the filter.

A nice man from Mahle customer support told me that the half plastic KL150 was not intended for use in petrol/gasoline, it was intended for use only in a diesel environment.
He even sent me a couple of KL145 filters free of charge.

2013 V7....Replaced my filter with the NAPA 3032 filter, fit was perfect fit with the nipples, used those typical screw on hose clamps, i'm sure they will hold on OK, pretty tight anyway. Just had to make sure the sharp edges don't get into anything like wires and such. Noticed the plastic part of the original filter was very soft to the touch and very swollen, would not have taken much for the middle seam to separate from the metal half of the filter.

Easy job overall. One warning.....be very careful to not snap off that red plastic elbow connector, from what I've read that sucker can be a nightmare to fix. I thought about snapping it off, drilling it out and replace with a brass fitting. I had a plastic one like that snap off of my Dyna glide some years ago. Sucker snap off and sprayed gas all over my legs and lap. HD did a re-call and went all metal on all of those parts. I guess a few bikes caught fire.

I was shocked to find that plastic elbow since that plastic fitting are known to snap off at any time. When they do the rider and bike catch fire. This bike would be especially catastrophic because of the jugs directly under that sucker. YIKES!!!!

I stick my finger under there before each ride to see if that area is wet. I would recommend you all check that area out periodically before and after rides. If only a close up sniff check for gas.

Do you guys drain the tank before changing the filter?

Nevermind, I answered my question by reading this:

motoguzzimaintenance.wikifoundry.com/page/Breva 750 Fuel Filter Replacement

Last edited:
Cam, if you run your fuel level low, and pull off the fuel cap ring and internals, you can put your eyes on it with a flash light. Let us know.
Kevin, for the V7, it needs to be really low on fuel (1/4 tank or less), and you can then lay it on it's side without issues of fuel spill.

Anyone open up their 2014 Special/Stone yet? Half plastic or all metal filter?

Cam
Anyone know if the 2015 V7 II Stone has the dreaded half plastic filter? I tried the idea of removing the fuel cap ring and internals but I didn't see the filter, let alone the pump. I was looking on the left side, was that the correct side?

Cheers
Brian

The V7 II parts manual doesn't show much, and I haven't had my hands on one yet. Unless they moved it to the back again (and no reason I can imagine for production costs/reasons), it should've been visible. You can slightly lift the tank from the back to see where the pump assembly is positioned. Let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back