• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

01 Lemans Erratic Idle

dbarb3

Tuned and Synch'ed
Haven't posted in a while.

I recently obtained a V11 Lemans. Pulled the tank for easier access to the voltage regulator that was fried. I thought it was a good idea while apart to replace fuel filter and air filter and adjust valves. Put it back together and it is now charging fine but my idle is all over the place.

When started it will idle roughly at 1200 rpm and in about 5 seconds jump to 2000 then 2500 then back to 1500 then back up all the way to 3000 rpm before I kill it. Appears the warmer the engine gets the worse the problem is. I have checked the tank hoses attached to the nipples, checked for air leaks and made sure fuel filter is in correctly.

It was idling fine before the regulator problem so it appears I have created a problem out of thin air. Any ideas?

My first inclination is that you accidentally pulled a vacuum line.

I am unsure as to how long you had the motorcycle to even verify it was running fine before. How sure are you this is a new issue?

I have put about 1200 miles on it and charging light came on, found regulator went bad and that was when I apparently created the problem. It has external fuel pump, guess I will pull hose and make sure petcock isn't partially clogged next. Sure seems like a vacuum issue listening to it.

Well well found this speaking of vacuum, hidden under tank, vents down to the ground by sump

Have no idea where it connects Vacuum Hose

Ah ha!

Well spotted.

Have you checked the service manual vacuum routing diagram?

Should be in the DOWNLOADS section and available free to contributing members.

I cannot remember if the V11 LeMans has a vacuum operated petcock or not. That would limit fuel which would cause erratic behavior like you mentioned.

Check the manual and maybe John, Steve, Todd or another person might chime in if they know for sure.

Should have lectric petcock, looks like evap has been disconnected(caps on intake manifolds) maybe hose goes where evap was, vent hose. It also has a gas cap drain. Maybe a kinked fuel line or return line. Could you have bumped the TPS sensor? Only vacuum line is evap hook-up and they are capped on intake.

2 lines under tank 1 goes to canister the other goes to back of intake I'm assuming one is for fuel overflow and other is for expansion. This hose is a mystery to me.

It was idling fine with old regulator that wasn't working correctly, could a bad connection when I installed new one possibly cause this idle issue?

Last edited:
It was idling fine with old regulator that wasn't working correctly, could a bad connection when I installed new one possibly cause this idle issue?
Probably not. The hose you found that went down is probably the overflow line from the fuel tank. Vacuum lines as Steve said have been disconnected. Make sure the tip over valve has been removed from the fuel tank vent line then you can get rid of the cannister. It may not be a bad idea to disconnect the battery, connect the plus and minus cables together and turn the key on for about 15 minutes to drain all capacitors in the electronics. Turn the key off, connect your cables (positive first) then start the bike to see if the condition continues.

Definitely not the vacuum line all my hoses are as they should be, The more I think of some odd issues that were happening before I took it apart the more I think Scott was right. Preexisting. After doing some more fiddling I almost certain the fuel pump is on its way out as it is whining now. Rain is gone so gonna take her out and see,

Definitely not the vacuum line all my hoses are as they should be, The more I think of some odd issues that were happening before I took it apart the more I think Scott was right. Preexisting. After doing some more fiddling I almost certain the fuel pump is on its way out as it is whining now. Rain is gone so gonna take her out and see,
If it is the fuel pump, check the Archive section. There is a reference for a replacement of the external fuel pump.

Back