• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

011 Racer fork upgrades?

poss

Just got it firing!
Hello folks,
I've Just returned to the Guzzi stable, after too long an absence, in the saddle from of an '011 V7 Racer. Love at first sight, so I rescued her from the throw out rack at Hill's.
Like most romances, reality eventually thrusts it's unfortunate phys' into procedings.In this case it takes the form of an under performing front end. Especially at the upper end of the lovely left hand gauge, on qld's under performing rural roads.
The Bitubo's on the back seem to be up to the job, but they seem to overpower the standard forks under any pressure.
I would appreciate any hints about upgrades, tweek's etc.

Thanks,
Poss

I have a 2012 Racer. Your remarks are pretty much spot on. I had Todd set me up with some stiffer springs for the forks and some better rear shocks. I also put some heavier oil in the forks based on his recommendation. The front and rear modifications really transformed the bike. I have lots more confidence in corners now. The bike is predictable and controllable.

Before I installed the front springs, my dynamic sag was 43mm. Afterwards, I have 35mm. I found the Bi-Turbos to be way too stiff. When I adjusted the sag to 25-30mm, I had no free sag. In other words, the weight of the bike did not compress the rears at all. In fact, I could easily turn the springs by hand when I wasn't on the bike. I really don't understand how MG could set a bike up with the suspension soft in the front and stiff in the back.

Poss, cartridge emulators were discussed here for the front forks some time ago.

I did a search, but couldn't find the thread. Must have been lost when they upgraded the system.
Regardless, the emulators are a possibility.

Joe

Poss, congrats on the bike.

I've been able to really transform the newer V7's. See this thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/215/9104.html

If you can't find what you need for the forks, I ship worldwide. RaceTech springs and emulators do as good of a job as you can get with the basic damper rod forks that come on the V7.

Feel free to contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Poss,
I am wondering how you got on with the front suspension mods. I have the same issue with my V7R here in Australia with our poor road surfaces. Did you use emulators?
Thanks

Digger,
You could try Terry Hay at Shock Treatment at Wallacia in the outer west of Sydney, Google Shock Treatment suspension.
Had them rebuild the suspension on my Griso including my rear shock and I'm very satisfied with the result.
Give him a call and discuss your issue, he is a straight shooter and all though he is not cheap his pricing is fair for the work done.
You can take the bike to him and wait while the work is done, just take a book as it will be a few hours, or send him the forks. He prefers to have the bike though so he can ride it and get better feel for what he needs to do.
I have no affiliation with them just a satisfied customer and I'm happy to recommend a good company.

Mark

hey Digger,
I'm in Qld mate and what with work, Christmas etc I haven't done anything about my suspension yet, just backed off a bit. Put 450 k on it in the Goldy hinterland one day over the Chrissy break and only scared myself a couple of times.Guess I'm gonna have to do something about it this year though.Sounds like Mark may be onto something, though Sydney's a bit of a ride for me.

Terry Hay's Shock Treatment comes with my own endorsement too
I sent a rear shock via mail to him and we had a conversation over the phone regarding my weight with riding gear on and intended use of the bike (road/track or percentages of each etc)
The shock was back in a few days and the results fantastic.

I will ride my Sport 1100 there once I scrape together a few dollars and get both ends down but if you can't get to sydney, posting the forks or shock there is fine too

Hi,

I also went to Terry Hayes to get my new Griso 1200 SE suspension set-up/dialled-in after 3000 K's to loosen things. The handling was truly transformed. This was a $95.00 adjustment.

Later I'll be back for further work once I have settled into the bike and it's current set-up.

rossco

Back